Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Based upon your knowledge and experience today, if you were starting all over, what make and model equipment would you go with?

I'm just starting, but here's what I went with:
Forster Co-Ax Press
Forster Micrometer seating dies & FL sizing dies
Forster case trimmer
Redding BR Powder Measure
Redding No. 2 Scales
Cabela's/Berry's tumbler
21st Century Concentricity Gauge and hand-priming tool

I'm not one to go cheap now and upgrade later, it ends up costing more in the long run. I probably spent WAY more than I needed to, especially since I'm just loading hunting rounds for my bolt guns, but I tried to buy what I wouldn't regret.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you,just starting. I went with the same press but I'm using the Forster Benchrest dies right now, weighing every charge(no powder measure) and using an older RCBS 10-10 Ohaus scale,which I also check with a digital.

I'm going with the Sinclair LE Wilson case trimmer. I haven't bought it yet though.

I would like to ask why the hand primer rather than using the primer on the Forster press? I thought the Forster press primer was considered very good.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the RCBS equipment I have, press and dies. I have a coupling Redding powder measures. I like the RCBS hand primers, have a couple of them.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think you've made splendid choices. That equipment will last your lifetime.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good choices. I'd choose the Ohaus/RCBS 10-10 scale as well, an older one. Nothing wrong with the Redding as I have one of those also.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I started reloading more than 40 years ago and have constantly upgraded my equipment. Today I am using Ponsness Warren presses, P-200 and Metal-matic Redding match powder measure and RCBS Little Dandy for handgun loads. I prime with RCBS hand priming tools having two set-up for the calibers I load for, my scale is an Ohaus 10-10. I use a Lyman case trimmer and VLD deburr tool, dies are a mix of RCBS sizers and Hornady seaters.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I wish I wouldn't have wasted money on a beam scale, powder thrower, and trickler. Luckily I corrected those problems very early on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dillon 550 w/ Whidden floating tool heads
Giraud trimmer
Amp annealer
FX-120i scale + auto throw + auto trickler
Forster or Redding bushing dies

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10-10 scale
Little Crow trimmers

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you,just starting. I went with the same press but I'm using the Forster Benchrest dies right now, weighing every charge(no powder measure) and using an older RCBS 10-10 Ohaus scale,which I also check with a digital.

I'm going with the Sinclair LE Wilson case trimmer. I haven't bought it yet though.

I would like to ask why the hand primer rather than using the primer on the Forster press? I thought the Forster press primer was considered very good.

I done too much reading on 6mmbr.com, that's how I ended up with the hand primer, lol. The priming system on the Co-Ax may be very good, but if it's not, that 21st Century hand primer will live longer than I will and probably the guy I leave it to.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The things I've bought from 21st Century are first class.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Based upon your knowledge and experience today, if you were starting all over, what make and model equipment would you go with?

I'd get a Fieldcraft rifle in 7mm-08 or .308 and find a factory load or two that it shot well, buy a couple cases of that up and just hunt. smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is more than one combination of getting it done right for sure, but I think you made good choices on what you bought. A friend of mine has recently taken the reloading plunge too. He chose the Forster press as well. I'm going to walk him thru the fundamentals this weekend, but the press is new to me too. He's convinced it's the cat's azz and I've read/ watched videos saying the same , but I haven't warmed up to it yet.

To answer your question, my biggest change would be better dies. Meaning dies that make straighter ammo, and I've recently started moving toward Forster dies for my rockchucker and I bought an arbor press and some Wilson seaters .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Teeder

I'd get a Fieldcraft rifle in 7mm-08 or .308 and find a factory load or two that it shot well, buy a couple cases of that up and just hunt. smirk

Some of us are as interested, or even more interested, in handloading and fiddling with rifles than we are in hunting.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been at it for (60) years and Dillon has served me well for last (30)!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Teeder

Some of us are as interested, or even more interested, in handloading and fiddling with rifles than we are in hunting.

That's fine, but I'm answering knowing what I know now.

I don't have the time or desire to screw with stuff anymore. On top of that, factory ammo is really good these days. YMMV

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was thinking more of handloading equipment, but I guess the Fieldcraft rifle works since the OP just said equipment and not handloading equipment.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I was thinking more of handloading equipment, but I guess the Fieldcraft rifle works since the OP just said equipment and not handloading equipment.

But I did post in the handloading forum. grin

And I would like to have one of them there Fieldcraft rifles too!

Last edited by StudDuck; 02/16/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I'm not one to go cheap now and upgrade later, it ends up costing more in the long run. I probably spent WAY more than I needed to, especially since I'm just loading hunting rounds for my bolt guns, but I tried to buy what I wouldn't regret.

I'm one of those that went cheap to start and you are absolutely right! Went cheap about 1955 when all I could afford was an old 'nutcracker' Lyman 310 hand loader. From there I got an RG Wells press and dies. Still have the invoice. All tolled the cost was $26. for complete setup. Then I went through all the iterations including Lee press, Lyman Orange Crusher, various RCBS, and probably others that I don't recall during various experimenting stages with presses. Still have my favorite, the Forster Coax, the Orange Crusher, RCBS and one Lee press I occasionally take to the range. About 25 years ago I picked up a Dillon XL650 which I still use. Have dies of all makes but predominantly Forster, Redding and RCBS in over 30 cartridges. Just didn't have the money in the early days to get the good stuff. When I did I went for the gold!!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
RCBS rockchucker combo with the dies from the same.

I have a few that i had to get from redding,Hornaday and lee.

The press i have was bought in 1977,came with powder measure,case lube pad with lube,scale and the dies of your choice.
The only thing i got later was the measure stand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.