Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a weatherby Mark V synthetic in .30-06. I would like to get a different stock for it that is strong, not laminate! I would like carbon fiber if possible. And I would rather not have the Monte Carlo. This was my first rifle so I want to make it a no hesitation grab if you know what I mean. Any info on other makers besides Boyd's and B&C? Thank you

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
McMillan inlets for Mark Vs..

Be prepared to bend over and wait..:)

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like this one. When I ordered, it was the Sako Safari, Wby inlet. But, now I think they call it the Wby Express.

Comb isn't high, it holds and feels great. Go to the McM web site and click on Wby Express. I don't have photos of the stock and cheek piece.

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would go to Mcmillan as well nothing but good to say about the stocks I have purchased from them.

DF who did you get to change the barrel on the mark V?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by scottishkat
I would go to Mcmillan as well nothing but good to say about the stocks I have purchased from them.

Bob

Sure did. It was a synthetic .257 Wby obtained in a trade. Didn’t like the factory stock, got a B&C. Was stiffer but still didn’t like it. I could never get consistency from that barrel. I got frustrated, replaced it with a SS 24”, #2 Brux in 7RM, throated for VLD’s. Never looked back. Added a Timney.

DF

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bansners used to sell a Mark V stock as does Oregon gunsmithing and MPI stocks . I also like the feel of the new Mark V stocks but they are proprietary from Weatheby's custom shop.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another MkV trick. On the bench, my trigger finger kept getting whacked by the bolt handle knob with recoil. Wasn't a problem, otherwise. Just a bench thing.

Well, I fixed it. Cut away the part that bumped, polished and blued. You can't tell it until you look close, can't see it all from a side view. If fact, the photo I posted earlier was after the "surgery".

DF

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
The 30-06 you have is likely a six lug... if it is it will open up a few more McM stock options over the 9 lug magnums. You might have to call and ask as the are not all listed online. I had a 280AI Accumark. It was spectacularly accurate but the B&C Weatherby MC stock beat me up bad. For me the stock fit was terrible.

After a buddy saw me cleanly take a speed goat at 700 yards with factory ammo the rifle sold itself and I moved on. The plan was to put it in a McM Compact Edge. That is the way I will go should I ever get another.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by scottishkat

Bob

Sure did. It was a synthetic .257 Wby obtained in a trade. Didn’t like the factory stock, got a B&C. Was stiffer but still didn’t like it. I could never get consistency from that barrel. I got frustrated, replaced it with a SS 24”, #2 Brux in 7RM, throated for VLD’s. Never looked back. Added a Timney.

DF

Yeah man that 257 can be difficult sometimes but when its right it's like the death ray on our smaller whitetails. I had a Mark V 257 Alaskan with a 24" bbl. Traded it for an Accumark with a 26" there was really not much in the difference was thinking I might go back to 24".

Did you send to Brux or use a smith out your way?

Shoot straight all

Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I used Ray Bowman in NC to fit the Brux. He had to make some adjustments on the action, lengthened the stroke by milling the bolt slot longer, the slot that the trigger bolt stop runs in. He did that so the 7RM could be loaded to mag length with longer ogive bullets. And he throated the chamber accordingly.

Yeah, the .257 Wby is a death ray, but I got tired of messing with it. Seems every time I had it shooting half inch, it would change its mind and do something else. And it wasn't the stock. It was glassed and free floated with enough room so the barrel could not touch.

Let say I like the Brux 7RM much better. I asked Ray what round he suggested and he said 7RM with his chambering for VLD's. The 8 twist loves 175 and 180 gr. bullets. I've not shot it that much, never killed anything since the 7RM barrel. It would be great for LR, bigger deer, elk, etc. For local WT's and hogs, I have too many new projects ongoing. This fine rifle sits in the safe, waiting its turn... frown

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Forgot to add, the #2 Brux is 24". To me, that's long enough.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had McMillan do this one for a 257 build and it turned out really well. If you think it takes a long time for a 700 stock, settle in. I think it was about 10 months

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

Is that the Wby Express?

Looks like it.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks. It's been a few years but I am almost certain it is the Express with a Hart #5. I liked that pattern allot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah, the .257 Wby is a death ray, but I got tired of messing with it. Seems every time I had it shooting half inch, it would change its mind and do something else.
DF

Hate it when that happens.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My MK V immediately had its Fibermark stock replaced with a 20 ounce composite custom from my local gunsmith right out of the box. Their in house stocks are hard to beat. My choice was the Remington Classic. It compliments the Mk V well. The gun weighs 8.4 all up. Even with heavy 160 gr loads @ 3200, the recoil is very tolerable.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Yeah, the .257 Wby is a death ray, but I got tired of messing with it. Seems every time I had it shooting half inch, it would change its mind and do something else.
DF

Hate it when that happens.

Yeah, disgusting.

But, nothing a new barrel won’t cure. Brux to the rescue, rock solid, a consistent performer, a real pleasure to use.

Some don’t like Wby. I have just this one, but have to admit, this MkV is the fastest cycling bolt gun I own. Slick and fast.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I had McMillan do this one for a 257 build and it turned out really well. If you think it takes a long time for a 700 stock, settle in. I think it was about 10 months

[Linked Image]

Bet that one is a tack driver. It sure has that look... grin

My best .257 Wby load was 115 Berger over 71.2 RL-25. Now, I did quit using VLD's with hypervelocity guns for hunting.

What's your fav load in that gun?

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It shot great with 110 accubonds/RL22 and also shot the factory 100 grain interlocks really well. I ended up selling it due to a couple minor issues with it and still regret it. It was built off an old German action and a Weatherby collector snatched it up before I could come to my senses

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I too love the butter smooth cycling of the MK V bolt. I snicker at the bolt’s diameter. When it comes to beloved tools, my Mk V’s, 7 Wby & 280 Remington, are the most trusted.

Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.