Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tikka listed the original 20” at CTR at 7.5lbs.... that’s with the rail.... coming in around 7.3lbs bare isn’t a huge shock.

I think I’ve owned 4 CTRs now.... they’re all in the hands of buddies. My brother shoots another one in a Chassis, another buddy has one that’s killed like two dozen big game animals now... and my wife’s CTR just keeps on hammering. They’re the best gun for the money I know of... hands down.

I think the most fun I’ve ever had shooting.... was watching my mom and her old lady church friends pound on steel out to 500 one afternoon with Em’s CTR. They had a ball... and talked mad schitt for weeks to all the old men.

That CTR .260 would be the last centerfire Rifle to go... not even a debate.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I will have my rifle on Monday and scope on Wednesday. I have burris xtr low rings waiting. I will put that package together and weigh it up. Either way, I am ok with the heavier rifle on this platform. It wont have a bipod or cheek pad on it and when I carry it in a hunting environment - 5 rounds in the magazine should be good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet....I am sure you'll dig the setup like the rest of us do. I was merely showing that its very possible you may end up 20% or more heavier than your initial weight goal.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Enjoy your new CTR. Finally got around to shooting mine. Grabbed a box of factory 140 ELD-M and ran through all 20. Not a bad start. Looking forward to seeing how this tightens up with more rounds down the new barrel. May find a box of Prime 130s just to see how they compare.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Picked up my CTR today and weighed it - as you guys had mentioned it is heavier than the spec sheet. On my scale it shows 8 # 4.7 ounces as is. I will end up adding 3.5 oz in the rings and 27 oz on the scope which by math should be about 10 pounds 3-4 oz before any ammo is loaded. Again - I am ok with that as this will be a heavier dedicated LR rifle.

The trigger was crisp, but heavy, so I took it apart and now the trigger is breaking at a crisp 2 pounds. I degreased the action screws and put everything back together. Overall, fit and finish is good. LOP is a touch longer than I am use to as it has both the spacers in the stock - may have to adjust that.

The gun nut in me says to swap out the stock with one of these A3 mcmillans - https://mcmillanusa.com/product/a3-tikka-t3/ - but that would add another half pound and not sure if I want to throw down the $800. Decisions, decisions...lol

The weaver will be in on Saturday. I will get it all mounted up and try to get out to shoot Sunday. To start, I have two boxes of Hornady Precision hunter 143 eld-x loads. We will see what she does with those and then have that brass to work up some loads. A couple different trusted people have shared loads with that bullet and H4350 between 41.5-43.5 - I think that is were I may start if I can located some H4350.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I was thinking of possibly grabbing a CTR but also like the PVA John Hancock Rifle. If you like the A3/A5 profile stocks, Ryan McMillan from Grayboe Stocks, is planning a release of the Tikka inletted stock option. He is not yet sure whether it will be offered in the Ridgeback or Renegade, or whether available with an adjustable cheek piece as option if offered in the more economical Renegade.

https://grayboe.com/stocks/

You may also want to try the Hornady 147ELD-M offerings in your CTR.

I shouldn't be looking at these posts as it will cause me to spend $$ that I don't have.

SD

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Guys, I am loosing my mind....I haven't even shot this or even mounted a scope on it and I couldn't help myself and ordered up a McMillan for it....YIKES...

Ordered the Carbon Fiber Game Hunter in Urban Camo....I think the pattern will look pretty cool with the black finish of the rifle. I expect this weigh maybe an ounce or two less than the factory stock - just a little bit more solid feel.

https://mcmillanusa.com/product/game-hunter-tikka-t3-t3x/

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Game Hunter does nothing for me over the factory stock. Each to their own.

Now...Manners is bringing out at Tikka Mini Chassis for some of their stocks.

That peaks my interest.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 02/13/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Picked up my CTR today and weighed it - as you guys had mentioned it is heavier than the spec sheet. On my scale it shows 8 # 4.7 ounces as is. I will end up adding 3.5 oz in the rings and 27 oz on the scope which by math should be about 10 pounds 3-4 oz before any ammo is loaded. Again - I am ok with that as this will be a heavier dedicated LR rifle.

The trigger was crisp, but heavy, so I took it apart and now the trigger is breaking at a crisp 2 pounds. I degreased the action screws and put everything back together. Overall, fit and finish is good. LOP is a touch longer than I am use to as it has both the spacers in the stock - may have to adjust that.

The gun nut in me says to swap out the stock with one of these A3 mcmillans - https://mcmillanusa.com/product/a3-tikka-t3/ - but that would add another half pound and not sure if I want to throw down the $800. Decisions, decisions...lol

The weaver will be in on Saturday. I will get it all mounted up and try to get out to shoot Sunday. To start, I have two boxes of Hornady Precision hunter 143 eld-x loads. We will see what she does with those and then have that brass to work up some loads. A couple different trusted people have shared loads with that bullet and H4350 between 41.5-43.5 - I think that is were I may start if I can located some H4350.

[Linked Image]

Right on man!! Looks good and right about where I thought you'd end up.

Like OutdoorAG, the game scout personally gives me nothing more that the factory doesn't already provide other than around 16-20 oz. For my application the weight savings isn't worth it and I thought it wasn't for you. However if it is important again then it certainly makes sense by all means. Be sure to let us know how you like the stock and what it gives you to the OEM stock in comparison.

Also I bet you do like that Weaver Tactical. I was pleasantly surprised with the one I put on my buddy's rifle just handling it and mountain it and such. Look forward to running it out to distance in the near future. Congrats on your rifle sir I am sure you'll end up loving it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The weight of the McMillan is indifferent - wont be more than maybe 1-3 oz difference 26-30 oz, I think the factory stock weighs around 30 oz)..More about feel, quality, and just something to make me feel good - you know the warm fuzzies...lol, if it doesn't do what I want, ill sell it - it will sell quick if need be.

I am more excited about the weaver....Everything I have read put this at one heck of a scope - especially at a sub $600 price. I am hoping my burris XTR low rings will clear and I won't have to get new rings. Also it has me intrigued that Kenton industries makes yardage turrets for it....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
A T3 Lite with a 20-25 ounce scope is still around 8 lbs loaded depending on mounts and what not. Far from a flyweight....and that weight range makes for a nice balance of portability and stability.

8 lbs 3 oz

T3x lite 6.5 creed Whittakers special run with 24” barrel.
McMillan Hunters Edge
26 oz scope
34mm Vortex (Seekins) rings

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The weight of the McMillan is indifferent - wont be more than maybe 1-3 oz difference 26-30 oz, I think the factory stock weighs around 30 oz)..More about feel, quality, and just something to make me feel good - you know the warm fuzzies...lol, if it doesn't do what I want, ill sell it - it will sell quick if need be.

I am more excited about the weaver....Everything I have read put this at one heck of a scope - especially at a sub $600 price. I am hoping my burris XTR low rings will clear and I won't have to get new rings. Also it has me intrigued that Kenton industries makes yardage turrets for it....

Right on!! If I were to go to a more traditional stock I would most certainly try the KRG Bravo personally. Seems it offers quite a bit for $400 or so. I am sure the McM will be schwanky for sure. Look forward to seeing it all put together. Any idea on the lead times these days?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Not sure on lead times but this one is built already in the retail store. Should have it in 3-4 days.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Right on!! If I were to go to a more traditional stock I would most certainly try the KRG Bravo personally. Seems it offers quite a bit for $400 or so. I am sure the McM will be schwanky for sure. Look forward to seeing it all put together. Any idea on the lead times these days?

I dropped my 6.5cm CTR into a carbon fill McM Gamehunter as well. I haven't figured out how to post pics here since PB went south...

I don't know that it's any lighter than the factory handle, but I really like the look and feel of the game hunter. Unfortunately I've been too busy lately to shoot any paper and decide whether I'll need to bed the new stock.

The vertical grip is solid.

The comb is higher also, which I like. I have a Bushnell LRHS in Seekins lows on this rig and it feels just right.

I didn't have any problem with the factory stock either, I think they're about the best plastic handle I've used on any current rifle. But if a guy has the funds the Gamehunter is a nice accessory for a mid weight rifle like the CTR. I think it'd be a little too chunky for a t3 lite.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Here it is so Far...The McMillan is scheduled to be here by Tuesday so I will swap out the stock then. Overall it looks good. Scope is built a tank - never had a scope this heavy, but I am thinking I will like it. The rings are Warne Mountain Tech Mediums.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us know how much travel you have left before the turret stops on that 0 MOA rail. You may end up wanting to swap to a 20 MOA rail, just curious.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Based on how it came from the factory and is mounted right now....it currently has 14.7 mils of down travel and 17.4 of up travel....If that stays true or even close that should give me plenty to dial

Last edited by Hiaring8; 02/16/18.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.