Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Tract Toric 3-15x42 BDC Review

Sorry for not getting this out sooner but we had a few bad weekends of weather and I couldn't get out to shoot. Over the past few weeks I’ve made 3 range trips. The furthest distance was 200 yards for now. My other range is 700 yards but I need all the snow to be gone first. I have to say I’ve been extremely pleased with how my new rifle shoots and how well the Tract scope has performed.

The most important thing needed for testing a scope is a solid platform. The rifle I used was chambered in 223 Rem and it’s a tac driver. So far no matter what ammunition and loads I’ve tried this rifle eats it up with sub 1/2 MOA groups. Kampfeld Customs did some excellent work. I started with a trued Remington 700 action and PTG bolt. My parts list included: Brux barrel, HS stock, Calvin Elite trigger, Leupold one piece base, Burris Signature rings and a Holland recoil lug. Once I got the action back I bedded the stock and added some fancy paint. (pretty guns always shoot better) For the assembly process I degrease all my screws first. Blue loc tite and a torque wrench is a must as well. I like to eliminate all issues within the rifle so I know it’s one variable taken out of the equation.

My next step was load development. Since this rifle will be used for small game hunting and some field rifle competitions I wanted 2 loads. For hunting, 40 gr. Nosler ballistic tips and for target use, 52 SMK were utilizied. For brass the obvious choice was Lapua and powder I have a ton of Win 748. My concern is always accuracy over speed. I don't know if many of you guys have tried a Magneto Speed chrono but it’s a game changer. Fast setup and zero errors. I’m ready to take my Chrony out and put it out of it’s misery for good. I’m getting an average of 3175 fps with the 40 gr. heads and 2958 fps with the 52 gr. heads. Consistant loads with very low standard deviation are important once you get out to longer distances. The only way you’ll know is if you chromo your loads. (19 inch barrel used) I’ll use this later on for drop charts. You'll see in the pictures my groups ranged from 1/2”-1/4” at 100 yards. Even my 10 shot group was insanely small. Needless to say I love this rifle. The weather was in my favor, the days I went to the range the wind was almost non existant.

I’m not getting into comparing the glass in the scope to others. It’s too subjective and honestly the glass is so good there’s nothing to complain about. Even at 15x I can clearly see bullet holes at 200 yards in the white. All I’m going to say is the glass is extremely clear, very bright in low light conditions, and has very true colors. Aesthetically speaking I love the grey finish. It’s a nice break from the black scopes and I’m a huge fan of Cerakote Sniper Grey. Overall I was very impressed with the look and feel of the scope. Nice positive turrets, smooth parallax and power rings. I thought the way the turrets re-zero was a cool feature. No need for that annoying little allen key like most scopes. Just unscrew the top of the turret cap, remove the turret and line it back up with the correct mark. The parallax locks in place which is a nice feature as well. It has the perfect amount of tension so even if you don't lock it in place it’s not going to move.

Now for my testing. I conducted a series of box tests and tall tracking tests. The targets I used were from Bench to Box Precision. They allow you to run a scope up to 25 MOA. Once my zero was established I did a few box tests from 5 to 10 MOA. For the tall target tracking test I took one shot at each spot 5 MOA apart and ran the scope up to 25 MOA. This was repeated and every group had shots that touched. The tracking worked flawlessly. With a 100 yard zero the scope still has 47.5 MOA travel left. In all 3 trips I never had to re-adjust my initial zero. As far as a drop test, all I’m willing to do is drop the rifle butt on a ground from a little over a foot on the concrete. I did several of these after my zero and even between shots. No point of impact changes were noticed. Sorry, I care about my equipment too much to throw it. This isn't a $7000 sniper setup, take it for what it is. Sure my Nightforce scopes could probably handle a test like that but they cost 3-4x the amount of a Tract. Once I get to my other club I plan on testing on their ballistic program. I’m thinking this rifle will do pretty well out to 500 yards even with the light bullets.

Overall I’m very pleased with this scope. I believe it’s an excellent scope for hunting and target work. I really can’t complain about anything. If I have to say something maybe I wish it came with caps. But then again I understand they are keeping the cost down. I did a fair test and I hope guys are pleased. I’m sure somebody will bitch I didn't do this or that. It’s an honest test and Tract passed. What I might lack in writing and my keyboard skills I make up in shooting skills. I’m a full time firearms examiner and shoot everyday at work. Pretty much go out every weekend as well to either compete or shoot for fun. Over the past few years the optics market has changed drastically. Who would have thought 2 guys from Nikon would start a direct marketing company up selling scopes? Like any company they will have growing pains and startup might be a little slow. I suggest you give them a try for yourself. You have nothing to loose with their policy. Too many guys love to bash products they have never tried personally. I’m guilty of it myself at times. I’ve tested some scopes that I had no faith in due to the name brand and cost. I was really surprised how well they worked. This isn't Tract. Tract scopes are made to very high standards in the same factory several others high end scopes are made in. If you have some ways I could improve my testing let me know. Im always willing to learn I don't know it all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/JjaqDGr.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/faZ6V1j.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/nyymnpD.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/W3mCUg4.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/0uqp2jv.jpg[/img]

Last edited by bhoges; 02/17/18. Reason: photo issue

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
BP-B2

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 3-15x42 Toric has performed very well too sitting on my son's Tikka 260. Very repeatable, no unwanted shifts, and glass is stupid good.

Nice review, and nice shooting. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Last edited by JGRaider; 02/17/18.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only thing my 2-10x42 Toric has failed on was a test that really shouldn't have been done. Going to keep dialing/testing through the spring. The glass is really, really good.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not sure if I am more impressed with your review or your shooting. Thanks for the feedback, looks like the Toric is a solid option

IC B2

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I'm not sure if I am more impressed with your review or your shooting. Thanks for the feedback, looks like the Toric is a solid option

Thanks most groups were shot prone off a bipod. This will be my new goto rifle. I can't wait to go hunting in May. Lots of dead chucks this year.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the review. After playing with their 8x42 binos (which were super impressive), I really wasn’t to see Tract succeed. If they could add some illumination in a hunting reticle, I’d give it a go. Hope they’re listening.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Thanks for the review. After playing with their 8x42 binos (which were super impressive), I really wasn’t to see Tract succeed. If they could add some illumination in a hunting reticle, I’d give it a go. Hope they’re listening.

The model below is illuminated. It's more scope than I need for my uses but it might be an option for you:

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-uhd-30mm-4-20x50-ffp-moa

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’d like a true hunting reticle that will work in low light at low power without illumination in case the battery dies (I know my luck). Yes, I know I’m being picky.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I understand that completely. I used a NF NSX with illuminated reticle for a number of evening hunts this season and it the illumination is excellent for last light...but if the battery goes the IHR will be worthless at last light. If NF brought the heavy outer bars in the same length as the hollow bars go it would be about perfect and work well enough for bracketing at low light.

I did use Tract's T-plex in the last couple of minutes on a rainy/overcast day to take a buck and it worked great. Reticle thickness is one of the biggest disconnects between tactical/dialing scopes and hunting scopes. The fine reticles are great for precision but can get lost so easily in low light or thick/broken backgrounds.

NF's IHR...if only the solid outer bars came in the same distance as the hollow bars:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you can't do it with this in low light the only thing that would help is a flashlight.

Of course people can't like not being able to shoot .123" groups at 99 meters from a concrete bench with the reticle and God knows a 6x sucks for shooting past 147 meters.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I picked up a Toric 2-10x42 on my 30-06. I have not tested it anywhere near the amount you have. However, the small amount of adjustments I have made so far were really precise. Optical quality is outstanding and am very pleased overall. I plan to shoot more this spring and will perform the real test with it this fall when season comes in.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
JCM, I don’t need a bunch windage or elevation marks lit up. For light that low, if distance was so far or wind howling to the point of needing marks, I’d simply pass the shot. I would however like the benefit of a small lit dot. Perhaps my needs are too narrow of a market for a new outfit. Yes, I know Trijicon may be an option. I’ve just never been blown away by the quality of their glass.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What scope/reticle is that, Steelhead?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JayJunem
What scope/reticle is that, Steelhead?

Meopta Meopro 6x42, German #1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Been using it for 4 years. I'm not a late evening hunter, except when I am. When I am, it's the scope, reticle that I use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the review. I have a question concerning your Magneto Speed chrono. Do you notice any change in point of impact in your groups when using it?

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by barm
Thanks for the review. I have a question concerning your Magneto Speed chrono. Do you notice any change in point of impact in your groups when using it?

This time I didn't notice a difference but Im sure there must be I just it all depends on the rifle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My concern with some new companies is I don’t see the level of engineering and testing. Are they using existing designs and just having them produced by a common manufacturer? Are they doing the behind the scenes work?

I do like the results you demonstrated though.

Last edited by prm; 02/17/18.
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prm
My concern with some new companies is I don’t see the level of engineering and testing. Are they using existing designs and just having them produced by a common manufacturer? Are they doing the behind the scenes work?

I do like the results you demonstrated though.

You have to realize most scopes are all made in the same factories. You spec out what you want and they build it. Tract is made in Japan with Schott glass your not getting much better then that. Even Nightforce doesn't make their own scopes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.