Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. I can see how that would be good in low light or fast, offhand shooting.

Apologies to the OP. Didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. Good write up btw. Looks like the Tract has decent adjustments that work like they're supposed to.

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I realize they are manufactured in a common facility. But a company such as Tract has to ‘spec’ something. What engineering is behind what is spec’d? Maybe they have a solid engineering and testing protocol, I just don’t know.

Do they have unique designs that will maintain zero for hundreds of shots or maintain adjustment repeatability? I’m not saying they don’t have a solid design, just that I don’t know what goes into their design.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prm
I realize they are manufactured in a common facility. But a company such as Tract has to ‘spec’ something. What engineering is behind what is spec’d? Maybe they have a solid engineering and testing protocol, I just don’t know.

Do they have unique designs that will maintain zero for hundreds of shots or maintain adjustment repeatability? I’m not saying they don’t have a solid design, just that I don’t know what goes into their design.

Tell me the engineering specs of other scopes that you know.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You’re missing my point, or I’m not communicating well. I’m not bashing Tract, just asking a question. Who designs their scopes? What level of engineering goes into the design? Just a question, not an accusation.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prm
You’re missing my point, or I’m not communicating well. I’m not bashing Tract, just asking a question. Who designs their scopes? What level of engineering goes into the design? Just a question, not an accusation.

I’m asking you what do you know about the design and engineering of any other scopes.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Who cares. I’m a consumer, not a scope engineer. I just want to have some faith in the design before making a decision to purchase. Some companies have engineering departments and do significant testing to designs. Companies that have been around awhile have a track record. For a new company, what do you base a decision to purchase on? If I knew their design went through some rigorous testing I’d feel better about it. I’ve wondered the same about Athlon, Maven, Tract, etc. Do they have their own full blown design, engineering and testing facilities? Just a question...

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/company/innovation---tradition.html#innovation

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/about-meopta-1.html

Last edited by prm; 02/17/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by prm
Who cares. I’m a consumer, not a scope engineer. I just want to have some faith in the design before making a decision to purchase. Some companies have engineering departments and do significant testing to designs. Companies that have been around awhile have a track record. For a new company, what do you base a decision to purchase on? If I knew their design went through some rigorous testing I’d feel better about it.

Google Tract Optics and call them. I think the owner's names are John and Jon, and you'll likely get one of them on the phone. Maybe talking to one of them can satisfy you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have to say, the only thing I see better than your review is your shooting. Thanks for posting. I have a Toric 3-15 but have not tested it like you have.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have to say, the only thing I see better than your review is your shooting. Thanks for posting. I have a Toric 3-15 but have not tested it like you have.

Thanks I guess all my practice pays off. Im a firearms examiner during the week and I shoot almost every weekend outdoors.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice job. Thanks. My Tract is a mere Tekoa, but I'm very happy with it so far, especially considering it only cost $400 on sale. Even without the ED glass, the view is impressive.

As to your rifle, how do you think the route you took with an extensively altered 700 compares price and performance-wise with using a custom like a Stiller?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice job. Thanks. My Tract is a mere Tekoa, but I'm very happy with it so far, especially considering it only cost $400 on sale. Even without the ED glass, the view is impressive.

As to your rifle, how do you think the route you took with an extensively altered 700 compares price and performance-wise with using a custom like a Stiller?

The whole action only cost $500 the way it was so it wasn't a bad deal. Normally my buddy builds my guns no charge. Yes, doing all that work you might as well buy a custom action. I had most of the components sitting around myself. He is moving his shop so I had Carl do it this time. I have a few customs like Nesika and Bat and I have to say the Remingtons work just as well.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by prm
Who cares. I’m a consumer, not a scope engineer. I just want to have some faith in the design before making a decision to purchase. Some companies have engineering departments and do significant testing to designs. Companies that have been around awhile have a track record. For a new company, what do you base a decision to purchase on? If I knew their design went through some rigorous testing I’d feel better about it.

Google Tract Optics and call them. I think the owner's names are John and Jon, and you'll likely get one of them on the phone. Maybe talking to one of them can satisfy you.

You can read a bit here and then give them a call with your specific questions.

https://www.tractoptics.com/about

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by prm
Who cares. I’m a consumer, not a scope engineer. I just want to have some faith in the design before making a decision to purchase. Some companies have engineering departments and do significant testing to designs. Companies that have been around awhile have a track record. For a new company, what do you base a decision to purchase on? If I knew their design went through some rigorous testing I’d feel better about it. I’ve wondered the same about Athlon, Maven, Tract, etc. Do they have their own full blown design, engineering and testing facilities? Just a question...

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/company/innovation---tradition.html#innovation

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/about-meopta-1.html

I’d feel fairly confident based on reviews and word of mouth.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's what you end up with that counts, and you've ended up with a stunner.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bhoges
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Thanks I guess all my practice pays off. Im a firearms examiner during the week and I shoot almost every weekend outdoors.
What's a firearms examiner ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The ballistic version of a medical examiner.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
In the NYPD we have a ballistics lab for all the gun that come in from crimes ect. My job is to test the firearms and ammunition and to ID them. Testify in court on my findings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bhoges
In the NYPD we have a ballistics lab for all the gun that come in from crimes ect. My job is to test the firearms and ammunition and to ID them. Testify in court on my findings.

So you’re a Gunecologist?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice, comprehensive review. Even better shooting. I think you could out shoot me if you used a paper-towel roll and a couple of crossed strings. Just WOW.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Worst part is I haven't killed a chuck yet. My buddy is too busy to hunt!!! We always get out when its 100 and humid.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 56 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.