Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I ve read in a lot of those Outdoor Life books that came out in the 70s and 80s (most were written by Ben East) were the homesteders in BC and Alberta used 30/30s and 303s. Those were the only big game rifles they had and they killed grizzly and moose dead with them. One guy used a 30/30 mdl 94 on a huge grizzly that scored as the world record at the time.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dh84
I ve read in a lot of those Outdoor Life books that came out in the 70s and 80s (most were written by Ben East) were the homesteders in BC and Alberta used 30/30s and 303s. Those were the only big game rifles they had and they killed grizzly and moose dead with them. One guy used a 30/30 mdl 94 on a huge grizzly that scored as the world record at the time.

Wonder how many guys tried it and didn’t live to tell the story?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358wsm

So, there has been talk of Grizzly in the area I am looking to trap in AK and on occasion they can get pesky around the cabin.

I don't want to fly in a bunch of "extras" and have a choice between my 12 ga or my 270 WSM.

Not looking for an excuss to get another rifle, but if I should run something else, I'd like to know.

First, are you referring to Alaska (AK)? If that's the case, you could probably get an answer in the Alaska forum.

Anyway, I have a friend and trapper who carries a .30-30+ a .22LR revolver along his traplines, and a .338 during the moose season. The .22 is just to dispatch the little critters that are still alive on his traps, but i have no idea about the .30-30. And i would advise to pay close attention to the F&G rules pertaining to killing bears in self defense.

You can also as the folks in this place:
http://www.alaskatrappers.org

Last edited by Ray; 02/19/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by dh84

Wonder how many guys tried it and didn’t live to tell the story?

Probably not as many as you think.

The man you are referring to was called Jack Turner, I remember those books and we had one called "Bears" by Ben East that I read many times. Somewhere along the way the book was lost and I have never been able to find one again.

For the OP, I would have no issues at all with a 270 WSM and today's tough bullets for what you have in mind.

Gerry.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'd love to read some of those old stories.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another great book is titled "Of Bench and Bears" If memory serves. The guy use's a 35 REM exclusively. I feel like a good SS 30-06 with a Robust set of irons and maybe a 20" tube would be just about ideal. That is JMHO. Having said that I used a 270 ROY with 160 NP's with great success as my primary long gun for several years up there. As stated before you would be better served with a $400.00 set of iron sights then a scope costing twice as much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The number one thing is to have whatever you choose available when you need it. Pistols always threw off my balance even in shoulder holsters when over waders. I would think about other uses to make the final choice. Ptarmigan and Snowshoes can break up the routine and diet during a long winter and provide materials for crafts and flies. Are wolves and wolverine on the agenda? A rifle could be handy. What about dispatching the trapped critters? I would not want to do in a wolverine with a hatchet unless that is all I had.

When guiding I carried a 7RM in the boat and when camping favored a 12 gauge with one 00 buck and then Brenneke slugs after that. Better for night time I though but thankfully never used either although came close several times. No big game or subsistence permits?

Forgot to add that the 270 Win. was Josea Sarbers favorite round I believe with a Barnes 160 bullet old C&C type. He killed numerous problem bears including at least one who was still guarding it's human kill. That takes faith in your rifle and a pair of brass ones to do IMO.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/19/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carried a 35 Whelen when I was a guide and still hunt with it but feel good carrying my 270 Win loaded up with 160 gr Partitions too. I have confidence in that bullet if I ever come to the point where a grizz needs to die and would feel just as good if it was a 270 WSM like the OP is considering. That bullet is a real thumper and penetrates very well.

Gerry.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only time I had to face down a grizzly was on the Ayakulik River on Kodiak. Luckily it was daylight, and luckily he backed down at the last moment. I was sporting a 12 ga 870 with an extended magazine stoked with 3" slugs. I don't think I would have been as confident with a .270 WSM bolt action. In fact, if I did have to face down a griz with a rifle, I can think of no better rifle than my M1 loaded to military pressures with 150 gr. partitions. I'm sure glad I didn't have to find out if 12 ga. slugs are effective or not. My heart gets going just thinking about it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More unsolicited advice. Put bells on all you gear, all jokes about dinner bells aside, these really help to not surprise a bear. Get the baddest pepper spray you can find and have this permanently on your belt and two for your wife. When I was in Alaska the word was to not shoot until you had claw marks on you and if using a pistol to insert it into the right nostril of the bear before firing just to make sure. Or vs a vs if left handed.

I forgot where I saw it but maybe the Dallas Safari Club a guy botched a shot on a Polar Bear and it went for him, he jabbed his 300 Weatherby into the side of the bear and fired. The barrel looked like a peeled banana but it did do the bear in. Another incident a bear reared up out of the brush and a friends Golden Retriever leapt up and hit it hard enough in the chest to knock it off it's feet at which point the bear made a hasty retreat. Never under estimate the value of a good dog.

Now if on a fishing river I would feel most comfortable with a .375 H&H but any rifle will do in a pinch.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

This post will be rather lengthy, please bear with me. Once read, I would appreciate some follow up (s).

Tejano,

THAT is Intense.
I get it, takes some focus, discipline, and nerve.

Now, I don't know, maybe you or someone else can confirm.
I realize every bear encounter is different, (and here is what I don't know) but as I have heard it, one thing that is similar within all those different encounters is, once a bear has determined "I am going to charge" he does...and a blast of pepper spray does not seem to change his resolve.
Can you, Tejano, or someone else educate me about that.?

I don't know the answer. But I would like to know. That is, when it comes down to seconds or fractions of a second, that may only leave time for one option of the two, either reach for the spray, or draw that bead.
Perhaps you've already given me your answer. For while fishing, I sense you instintively said "375" and while camping said "12 gauge." Neither scenario mentioned "spray." And unlike Mr. Sarbers, you did not favor a 270.
I will however, take your advice and carry that spray on me at all times, along with a suitable firearm.

I truely hope I never have an encounter, I have no desire to lose my wife or my self in the midst of an encounter and I have no desire to kill a bear.
I will confess and admit, I am concerned and I fear the scenario. This is a trapping cabin, it smells like a giant bait and we will be in the middle of it. This is not a hunting scenario wherein I am sneakily stalking an unsuspecting animal with a hotrod 270, given the option to shoot, taking my time in placing my TTSX with surgical like precision, and then waiting an houror more to go looking. No. This is a different scene all together. It's not a matter of "if an encounter " but rather "when the encounter." Historically, at this specific camp, they have been problematic and have had to be dealt with.

The more experience I gain in life, the more I have learned to move according to "peace."
Maybe I am ignorantly challanged in the area of terminal ballistics, but for some reason, I am not finding peaceful assurance with the 270 bore within this life or death scenerio.
I know for a fact, because I've done it many, many times, that I can shoot a 250 grain bullet over 72 grains of H-4895 very, very well out of a .358 bore. Yes, that is comparable to the 358 Norma Magnum, and the 340 Weatherby. I find that somewhat comforting.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
There’s a couple things here. First, I certainly make a distinction between what I consider acceptable for hunting vs everyday personal defense and yes I do realize that the two sometimes overlap. Second, most of this decision regarding personal defense whether it be firearm of spray is entirely on you. It has to be something that you are going to want to be bothered with toting around all the time. It’s going to be a process. I’ve carried spray, shotguns, rifles, revolvers, and large semi auto pistols. Non of them have ever been perfect for every scenario. I’ve payed attention to some of your threads on this adventure, but haven’t read evey post, so forgive me if I missed something. If you’re just going to be out during the fall and winter, then go to town and work summers I think you can be less picky. It’s easier to deal with something imperfect for several weeks than it is for months on end. Regardless, most of the time you’re out, whatever your carrying is going to be an encumbrance. Try packing a shotgun or rifle around while cutting firewood or cutting trail. So, you end up leaving it leaned up nearby or on your snogo, either way, it’s not “with”you. Let’s face it, if you’re running a chainsaw in late november and a starving bear is attracted by the noise, unless it comes from directly in front of you, you’re never going to see it coming anyway, so it really doesn’t matter what you’re carrying or not carrying. That’s where a good dog can be of help, but they’re not perfect either. When I’m running a saw my buddy gets bored and goes off to sit under the nearest squirrel tree and look for fun. My point is, you’re going to have to take your chances at times. What I carry when working is a G30 with a G21 mag in it and that “lowly 270 wsm” has a whole lot more “Fck You” than a 45 acp. The key thing is that it’s small, fits close to my body so it’s not catching on everything, and light enough that I’ll carry it. As I said in a previous post, generally around the house, or if I’m out doing things that make it practical, I carry a SS Ruger chambered in 375 with irons. I’d feel perfectly comfortable it it were chambered in something else that is reasonably stout. Let’s say 30-06 with 220s as an example. In a pinch, I’d take a 308 with 165’s or 180’s and not be worried.

If you end up staying out year round and keep a clean camp, your bear issues should be relatively few and far between after the first year or two, unless you shoot every bear you see. The reason being, the local bears start to figure you out and pretty much stay out of your way. That’s an entirely different subject.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I's a bear I'd stay away from some guy running around with bells tied to'm and a chainsaw in his hands

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I’ve actually had a number of bears walk up on me while running a saw. Usually in the spring. Probably hungry and curious about all the racket. Personally, I have no interest in letting a bear get close enough that a chainsaw would make a useful means of self defense. Of all the encounters with various animals I’ve had in the bush, the spookiest have mostly been with critters of the two legged variety.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

ykrvak,

I sure do appreciate you and ALL your insight and wisdom.

Thank you again for your availability and time offered.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WSM The main point of the pepper spray is to have it on you at all times. I have been guilty of leaving a rifle against a tree just out of reach at times. I have heard of bear being turned by pepper spray on several accounts, but my inclination is firearm first. My buddy who ran traps would greet every bear in camp with a load of bird shot and the bears quit coming around even though this is highly illegal and could create problems if you actually wounded one. My time in Alaska pre-dated pepper spray so I do not have first hand experience with it there, but would carry it now.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I agree that in theory pepper spray is great and that 99% of the time it would result in a more favorable outcome for both human and critter. Unfortunately, being that it is much more difficult to direct, is really vulnerable to windy conditions, and the fact that anything aerosol or pressurized tends to fail in the cold, I choose to stick with some sort of firearm. That said, I always have some around for visitors that are inexperienced with firearms. It’s a great tool for the in laws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was moving to AK right now, I'd buy this http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...classic-sporter-338.cfm?gun_id=100991318

And give a coat of this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/857663/renaissance-wax-rust-preventative-and-gun-stock-polish

What a fantastic deal on, IMO the very best rifle one could tote in bear country.

Good luck to you!

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
WSM The main point of the pepper spray is to have it on you at all times. I have been guilty of leaving a rifle against a tree just out of reach at times. I have heard of bear being turned by pepper spray on several accounts, but my inclination is firearm first. My buddy who ran traps would greet every bear in camp with a load of bird shot and the bears quit coming around even though this is highly illegal and could create problems if you actually wounded one. My time in Alaska pre-dated pepper spray so I do not have first hand experience with it there, but would carry it now.

Tejano,

Thank you for clearing that up in my understanding. I'll carry it. I see now, it has it's place. Like say in warmer temps while picking berries and always in conjunction with a firearm. Even a blast out the cabin window might spare a bears life.

Thanks again I appreciate it, much.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I agree that in theory pepper spray is great and that 99% of the time it would result in a more favorable outcome for both human and critter. Unfortunately, being that it is much more difficult to direct, is really vulnerable to windy conditions, and the fact that anything aerosol or pressurized tends to fail in the cold, I choose to stick with some sort of firearm. That said, I always have some around for visitors that are inexperienced with firearms. It’s a great tool for the in laws.

And then there is this...

Thanks ykrvak

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.