Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by satx78247
sidepass,

IF I was headed to AK for big bears, it would be my (reformatted by JES) Model 760 in 9.3x62mm with 286 grain Privi Partizan ammo that would "make the trip". = That load is A KILLER on most anything on any continent.

A school chum of mine, from long ago, recently took a very large Nilgai bull from 200M+ with a Husky BA in that caliber, using "the Texas heart shot". Into the rump & out the neck..= One shot, GYD.

yours, tex

Thanks, the 286 is another option. Have banged steel regularly to 600 with my 9.3 and 250 Accubonds so very comfortable with that combo.leupold CDS drives my friends crazy with that combo. They tell me the 9.3 is a 100 yard setup. 250 accubond at 2650 and a elevation turret prove otherwise.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
sidepass,

Fwiw, Otto Bock said that he designed the 9.3x62mm chambering for farmers & ranchers to use for any dangerous game in the German colonies in Africa, that was suitable to be used in a cheap, bolt-action rifle (rather than a heavy/expensive double-rifle) AND that was suitable to routinely carry upon horseback rounds of one's farm/ranch. - In point of fact, the 9.3x62 can be fired FROM the saddle, if the stockman has a well-trained mount.
(After Mauser BA appeared in the German colonies, the same round became popular in Europe for moose, reindeer, red deer & wild boar.)

Fwiw, I bought my first rifle in 9.3x62 in BRD, when I was looking for a 9.3x57mm rifle for red deer & wild boar.
(After WWII, many a Kar 98 with a rusted/pitted bore was "freshed out to 9.3" & were often CHEAP to buy & quite suitable for any European game. =====> A gunsmith in K-town said that he didn't have a rifle in that caliber but suggested that, "- - - - it's big brother might be what you are seeking.").

Imvho, the 9.3x62mm is all the rifle that I need for anything that I'll ever hunt in this life.
(I'm planning a short trip to Africa this Fall for plains game & a Cape Buffalo I won't feel "under-gunned" with my rebored Model 760..)

yours, satx

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I got the one that I could find in a reliable, economical, moderate weight, handy length, stainless, and left-handed rifle. That happened to be the 375 Ruger but I could be happy with any of the other chamberings in the same rifle.

Last edited by akmtnrunner; 03/21/18.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like the 375HH, that’s what I have but a ruger guide gun in 375 ruger would be a great gun as well. I got my 375 when I moved up to AK but only hunted with it once, I just use my 30-06 on moose and a 308 for black tails, Dalls and caribou.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by satx78247
sidepass,

IF I was headed to AK for big bears, it would be my (reformatted by JES) Model 760 in 9.3x62mm with 286 grain Privi Partizan ammo that would "make the trip". = That load is A KILLER on most anything on any continent.

A school chum of mine, from long ago, recently took a very large Nilgai bull from 200M+ with a Husky BA in that caliber, using "the Texas heart shot". Into the rump & out the neck..= One shot, GYD.

yours, tex

Thanks, the 286 is another option. Have banged steel regularly to 600 with my 9.3 and 250 Accubonds so very comfortable with that combo.leupold CDS drives my friends crazy with that combo. They tell me the 9.3 is a 100 yard setup. 250 accubond at 2650 and a elevation turret prove otherwise.

Little bit off topic. But, This is why I went with 9.3 over 338-06 or 35 whelen.
Also, why is the 9.3 no on the list?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the three and your intended use, I say get the .338 Win. Mag. Load it full throttle with some 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets and kill every thing in Alaska all season and every season. Do what I did long ago, find a used Mod. 70 "Stainless Clasic" and customize it. My 5 shot 8 lb. Mag na Ported beauty is the perfect Alaskan rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have seen stacks of .375 Ruger in the tiny little store in Sleetmute.

The trouble with stores in Alaska's hinterlands as a barometer of availability of things is that you might also see stuff like 303 Savage, 225 Winchester, 30 Remington, or 8mm Rem Mag in one place or another, but that doesn't mean, quite obviously, that they are widely used and available in remote parts. It doesn't help that one or several of these offerings is stacked right next to the only load for the 270 Win.... with a 110 SP bullet. But if the remote village has a 'chain store' like one supplied by ANICA, or Alaska Commercial (especially), then you're more likely to see more standardized ammo offerings... generally in green and yellow boxes.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What does store availability matter in 2018? Can't you just do a one time, online order and be done?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Not to Alaska. It’s not that easy to get ammo, powder or primers shipped up here. It’s treated as hazmat and most won’t ship here like in the lower 48.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hazmat applies to ammo? Who won't ship to AK?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Not to de-rail this thread, but Midway, Mid-south, Palmetto, ect won't ship ammo, primers, or powder here. There are limits as to an amount that can be placed on a barge out of Seattle and most carriers use USPS once items get to Anchorage for final delivery. Also, I have had orders changed to drop cleaning supplies. We are treated like a foreign country by alot of places since we are not part of the contiguous United States. Free shipping here usually comes with a surcharge, but thanks Whittakers, you don't.

Last edited by Unalakleet_Yooper; 05/05/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Hazmat applies to ammo? Who won't ship to AK?
I'm not aware of anyone that will ship powder/primers/ammo to me that is not located within the state of AK. Those within the state that will ship these items do so at a substantial markup above the already increased AK price. I don't make a living on shipping ammo/powder/primers to bush AK so someone else may need to correct me, but I'm confident I paid Hazmat on the last rimfire ammo I shipped via air freight. In addition to Hazmat charges, there are overall weight limits for air carriers for powder/primers per Hazmat shipment, something like 16 pounds total weight. It must be specifically packed and boxed in an approved box. Of course there are companies that will do this for you, but it adds to the cost quickly. Typically I package the powder/primers myself and then take them to air freight each time I visit Anchorage so as to limit the cost to the freight charge and Hazmat fee. Ammo I normally pack in my luggage, but weight limits sometimes adjust how I can best do that. There's nowhere I'd rather live, but bush AK requires additional consideration of the logistics involved in the shooting sports.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I shipped a case of ammo to Fairbanks 10+ years ago.
Went to the UPS hub.
Marked 5 sides of the box, "ORM-D"
paid for ground.
Listed contents as Rifle Ammunition LOADED
Tracked it to AK and trail stopped.
Went to USP and they said since it was Ammunition it was held in Alaska and put back on a plane and sent back to me.
When I asked why they said because loaded ammo couldn't be shipped via AIR.
To which I said, how's it comming back....
Uh, air.
So why not just leave it in Alaska?
So, they shipped it back to the hub and when I picked It up they told me I could have it repackaged by a HAZMAT tech with UPS and resend it...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve never hunted Alaska or been to Africa, but in my mind the 375s make the most sense for an all round rifle. Legal for dangerous game in Africa and plenty for a big bear but without the recoil of some bigger rounds- not that it’s a lightweight in any way but it’s no 458 Lott behind the buttstock. If I was sticking to Alaska then I’d probably go with the 338, the 375 IMO isn’t needed unless you plan to one day take that rifle across the ocean.

Last edited by JJWise; 05/13/18.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JJWise
I’ve never hunted Alaska or been to Africa, but in my mind the 375s make the most sense for an all round rifle. Legal for dangerous game in Africa and plenty for a big bear but without the recoil of some bigger rounds- not that it’s a lightweight in any way but it’s no 458 Lott behind the buttstock. If I was sticking to Alaska then I’d probably go with the 338, the 375 IMO isn’t needed unless you plan to one day take that rifle across the ocean.

Very well stated. I have “zero” intention of getting rid of my .375 AI, but likely would go .338 WM if hunting Africa were off of the agenda! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
375 for almost everything. I have a Ruger because it's cheaper than most H&Hs but consider them equal. I traded my old one in for a new one with a brake - what a difference - no wonder brakes are becoming so common.
Someday I will go to Africa and try my nerve on dangerous game, and I'll bring or rent a 458 Winchester African. People can make fun of me all they want.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
A rifle for hunting Alaska Black Bear, Bou, Moose and of lucky to draw a Brown Bear tag one day? .375 Ruger, .375 H&H, .338 Win Mag, .416 Ruger Big Game. They have all been proven in the field and have done well and ammo is not very hard to come by on any of them.

I'd find a used Ruger stainless 375Ruger with 20" bbl and the model with the bbl band swivel thingy and put it into a McMillan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
A rifle for hunting Alaska Black Bear, Bou, Moose and of lucky to draw a Brown Bear tag one day? .375 Ruger, .375 H&H, .338 Win Mag, .416 Ruger Big Game. They have all been proven in the field and have done well and ammo is not very hard to come by on any of them.

I'd find a used Ruger stainless 375Ruger with 20" bbl and the model with the bbl band swivel thingy and put it into a McMillan.

My next rifle is going to be a Ruger Guide model in 375 Ruger. Seen them used in 300 and 338 win, but I'll likely end up buying new and drop it in a micky.

MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
.375 H&H.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All are suitable, if it is for something dangerous go with the .416 if you can shoot it well. Drop the .338 and add the 9.3X62 if it is not elephant size.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.