-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don't have one and don't even want one, just curious if anybody here has one of the short lived Mossberg single shots. A buddy of mine bought one NIB on GB and had it sent into our shop for transfer. I think this is only the second one I've had my hands on. The other was one that come in several years ago for repair and there were no parts to be had. They weren't a bad looking rifle, for a Mossberg, they just never chambered them for anything that would float my boat. I've seen most single shots discussed here at some point, but never this one. Just curious if anybody here owns one and how it shoots.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had one in 223 for a couple of years. It was accurate enough but it was a bit rough and gritty to open. Reminded me of a worn in Baikal shotgun from the same era.

I bought it partly for the ability to swap barrels but it turned out they ran nearly as much as a new rifle- if the barrels could be found. I sold mine before CDNN picked up and clearanced out whatever remained of these rifles and accessories. If I would have kept it I probably would have sold it for an even bigger loss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was interested for a bit, especially in the slug model, which I never saw on the clearance pages. My LGS had a rifle in the used rack, but the price wasn't far from what I've seen for used Number 1s, and trust me, that thing ain't no Number 1; typical oddish Mossberg styling, and the receiver had a funny matte look to it like a MIM'd part. $575; no way! Much rather have a Baikal.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
SCGunNut:

I'll give you 3 guesses on who's got one? blush

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ed, knowing you, you probably had a custom barrel in 6.5 Jap made up for it. Am I close? smirk

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of the rifled 12ga's, bought from CDNN.

I shot it twice? The second time with some extra high speed , extra high dollar sabots and it beat me up. Took it home and ordered an extra thick kick-eze pad. Cut the stock.... and that very night learned that they'd opened my hunting area to rifles.
Never finished the job. Probably 12 years later, the rifle is still apart. blush

Last edited by cas6969; 02/22/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC the rifles weren't available until a year or so after the announcement due to performance issues. The largest dealer in the state at that time was told by the mfr. rep. that Mossberg just couldn't get them to shoot worth a darn. And field reports confirmed that.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as slug guns go, the 12ga shot really well. But I noticed rather quickly (I only took it on two range trips, probably 30-40 rounds) that how I closed it effected the group, it shot to two POA. If I gently pushed it closed, just enough, it would shoot to one point. And if I snapped it closed hard it would shoot to another. Both nice groups, but a couple inches between them.

I don't know if this is/was a common thing or just my gun, or possibly even a scope issue.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Christ dude, did you wake up this morning and decide to vent on a gun that been discontinued for years for what reason ? What do we want to rip on next? "New Coke"

They were what they were, nicer than a H&R less than a #1. They shoot M.O.W. and are fairly reliable. When they closed them out Sheel's had some smokin' deals. Never had any "different point of impact" issues depending how I closed it, but I close it, not slam it. Got a 3200 Bushnell on it and have never felt "under gunned" taking it to the woods.

If'n your a "One hole Hunter" you could do worse than the old Mo-berg.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, did you?

Are you extremely sensitive? Upset by my words? I don't see how I was "venting", even slightly. Just trying to share one possible reason they "temporarily" halted production , which became permanent.

FWIW, I never mentioned slamming it closed. I'm talking about pushing it closed and it would lock closed and fire. Or pushing it closed the same, with just a bit more pressure and you can feel and hear the difference in the lockup. Which would result in two different POI of maybe 3 +/- inches at 100 yards.

Last edited by cas6969; 03/27/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
A friend of mine had one for a short while, he didn't keep it very long. It never shot as well as he thought it should, and he was/is a prairie dogger, so he wanted it accurate. IIRC, it was a .223.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one in .223 that has been rechambered into .223 AI. It shoots okay but has a horrible lawyers friendly trigger at about 6 or 7 lbs. It has a 1/9 twist.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have one in 22-250- still new with tags n stickers. Just never had the motivation to dig it out from the back of the Safe. Could end up being one of those guns I’ll just never shoot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 52 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.