-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Likely to put in for WY general license next week and have been studying units. I'm leaning toward the general tag units that allow cows to be shot all season. I've hunted in Medicine Bow a couple times, alot of elk, alot of people, alot of roads. I'll have at least 1 buddy with me who's never shot and elk and wants to do so. I'll take a cow at some point if no bulls show up.

I've been looking at the western WY units with general tags and an all season cow chance. I've been studying units 92 and 94 for a couple years. The elk population is above objective, there appears to room to roam and the area isn't cut by roads every mile. Seems like it would be right up my alley - opportunity for a cow and areas for a bull to hide. What I don't know is the hunting pressure. Most these two units look to be a series of long ridges coming perpendicular down off a long main ridge(s). The area also looks much more open than I'm used to hunting.

Anyone care to opine on: elk numbers, hunter numbers, general elk habits in that area?

Not looking for coordinates or even areas, just the general information so I can dream up a game plan before I arrive.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Elk numbers are good in those units. On the bull rifle opener you will see tons of folks driving the roads. Some of those drainages are a mad house. That being said, it doesn't take too much to get away from most of the crowd. In the past few years there was an early season for type 6 tag holders. Pretty good opportunity to harvest a cow and not nearly as many people as during the general season. Once the season goes to cow only a lot of folks hang it up as well. A couple of friends hunt down there (92 and 94) and I helped retrieve a couple of their elk last year. I've harvested elk down there but I prefer other units as I really don't like hunting around others.

It's good country, lots of the major drainages have roads in the bottom. Only a couple open roads up and over the top (east/west). There have been several burns in the area the last 6-8 years. These have created some pretty good feed. Lots of high elevation country that is pretty open. It's good elk country. Often elk are visible up high and folks just aren't willing to put the effort into going after them. Lots of old decomisioned roads and horse trails to get around on, but the country is often steep. If you get heavy snows, elk typically start heading towards feed grounds and the areas around those can be productive to hunt. Do not wait until the late season blm/private hunt to pursue elk. That hunt is pretty low odds unless you live here and know folks to get access and can drop and run when elk are spotted.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hunted those areas myself. Best you can hope for is heavy snow up high. Lots of Grizzly bears around until the snow does fall that may come and take your dead elk away from you. Find a packer to make your life easier and allow you to hunt farther up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You have experience in the MBNF so I would stay there but find some spots away from the roads, they are there.
Getting to know a new area would take some time. Cow tags for your friend in the Snowies too so a chance at 2 elk.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Grizzlys ? Didn't think they were that far south.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wytex - normally I'd agree with you but - have a look at the road map in MBNF. Its hard to get off the road, especially in the eastern side where cow tags are prevalent. I'm not used to hunting within 2 miles of a road.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't need a map I live within 1 hour of the forest and hunt it every year. Some of those roads are closed off now . Take a look at some other spots in the forest. I know some steep, un-roaded areas.
And plenty of elk are taken with a mile or so of roads.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I guess you wouldn't need a map blush. It was more of an observation not telling you anything you didn't already know.

I've found several areas in the eastern part of MBNF but I understand with some snow, the elk bail out to the edges of the Forest. I do have a few places on the edges of the Forest as contingency.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bwinters
Grizzlys ? Didn't think they were that far south.

The furthest south I have seen a Grizzly bear is in area 25, that one stole my elk. I have seen several in area 87 where a really big one claimed an elk I shot. I also was confronted by another Grizzly due west of Big Piney near Thompson Pass this was during deer season (area 94). I have seen wolves in area 86, 87 and 92. This is what happens when you manage for predators instead of hunters.

Last edited by rickt300; 02/19/18.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bwinters
Likely to put in for WY general license next week and have been studying units. I'm leaning toward the general tag units that allow cows to be shot all season. I've hunted in Medicine Bow a couple times, alot of elk, alot of people, alot of roads. I'll have at least 1 buddy with me who's never shot and elk and wants to do so. I'll take a cow at some point if no bulls show up.

I've been looking at the western WY units with general tags and an all season cow chance. I've been studying units 92 and 94 for a couple years. The elk population is above objective, there appears to room to roam and the area isn't cut by roads every mile. Seems like it would be right up my alley - opportunity for a cow and areas for a bull to hide. What I don't know is the hunting pressure. Most these two units look to be a series of long ridges coming perpendicular down off a long main ridge(s). The area also looks much more open than I'm used to hunting.

Anyone care to opine on: elk numbers, hunter numbers, general elk habits in that area?

Not looking for coordinates or even areas, just the general information so I can dream up a game plan before I arrive.

Thanks.

The phrase "above objective" is misleading, as elk populations drop they just lower there "objectives", neat huh?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What happens when they get to 1 elk? At objective? <G>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.