Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My buddy and me just found out we drew tags for Kodiak this spring after a 3 year wait. Needless to say we are excited and with this hunt brings an opportunity for new gear. Any of you seasoned AK hunters have any preferences you could pass along? Have some Kuiu gear on the wish list but then somebody mentioned Sitka to me. I am sure they are both excellent although expensive. I already have a pair of Schnees calf high pac boots but they have a felt liner and I am wondering if they may be too hot and some knee high rubber boots that are made for walking may be better. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I really like the KUIU Yukon line for that general area...but there are a few good options. Fit is definitely important as well - and Kuiu does not fit everyone.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like Kuiu gear overall. Their pants fight right, but shirts and jackets run small

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both Kuiu and Sitka would be solid choices. I just bought a Kuiu DCS Guide jacket. It looks to be a winner, but I haven’t put it to work yet. I own 3 pairs of Sitka Timberline pants that I have tortured beyond belief and they still have several years left in them. Good Stuff!

Both Kuiu and Sitka run one full size small. Depending on what you have for your layering, mixed brands, maybe... Keeping in mind that Kuiu/Sitka are designed as a system. If you aren’t buying their layering offerings, you’ll want to take into consideration the bulkiness of your clothing and maybe go 2 sizes bigger in a jacket. I’m 5’10 225 with merino layering and I’m an 2XL.

You should PM Jordan Smith. He knows Kuiu and likely what other mfg’s you should be looking at for your hunt.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hunted a lot in Kuiu Chugach jacket/pants this last fall and logged a lot of miles. By far the best hunting clothing I've used in SE Ak.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have found both a bit variable in sizing. Get them early so you can be sure everything fits properly.

Where are you hunting, when, and what for?

Since the draws on Kodiak are for goat and brown bear you will either be guided or have family doing the guiding (less likely since you have a buddy going along) but the differences in gear between spring bear and fall goat hunts is fairly wide.

You could also be confusing Afognak or Raspberry elk draws, but they are not actually on Kodiak...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We both drew a tag with Afognak after 3 years. 163bc is my buddy and he posts regularly on the fire. Me not so much. Thanks for the reply.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

What tag? Draw hunt number?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
We both drew a tag with Afognak after 3 years. 163bc is my buddy and he posts regularly on the fire. Me not so much. Thanks for the reply.

I have been in contact with your buddy by PM, already. Good luck!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I really like the KUIU Yukon line for that general area...but there are a few good options. Fit is definitely important as well - and Kuiu does not fit everyone.

I've been really happy with my Yukon jacket, but both companies make excellent gear. Make sure your buddy gets one brand and you get the other, and you'll have a never-ending conversation topic.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2

I've been really happy with my Yukon jacket, but both companies make excellent gear. Make sure your buddy gets one brand and you get the other, and you'll have a never-ending conversation topic.

It almost sounds like you've been weathered in before! grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

It almost sounds like you've been weathered in before! grin

No he just hunts with older guys with shorter memories!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Afognak brush is a step up in nasty - some unique kind of heinous. I agree with Calvin that the Kuiu Chugach line is fantastic; having both I also contend the extra durability of the yukon line will pay dividends on Afoghell...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I think he has some Sitka so I will definitely get the Kuiu. That is fumnny

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Afognak brush is a step up in nasty - some unique kind of heinous. I agree with Calvin that the Kuiu Chugach line is fantastic; having both I also contend the extra durability of the yukon line will pay dividends on Afoghell...

OK so for the Afognak area you suggest the Chugach line? Are there pants the tight fitting style so you look like you have yoga pants on? Not into tight clothes at my age.

Montani Semper Liberi

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

OK so for the Afognak area you suggest the Chugach line? Are there pants the tight fitting style so you look like you have yoga pants on? Not into tight clothes at my age.

Sorry I misread that-you recommend the Yukon line for a late April-may hunt-correct?

Montani Semper Liberi

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Just get some Chugach gear a 30-06 and most importantly a physical fitness program .Listen to what your guide tells you and enjoy. You are going to love it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never have drank the kuiu warrior koolaid. Same with sitka. I see people dressed in it head to toe all the time, even when in town or at the grocery store. It is an image thing, I guess. It is good stuff I'll admit, till a hole gets poked into it, which IME isn't too hard to do. Then it is worthless.

I don't have a suggestion for the OP, unfortunately. I use mainly Filson wool and their tin cloth stuff, whether in rain or snow. With the amount of water there is in SE Alaska, I'd probably show up with some double tin pants. They're significantly tougher than the synthetics, though take more maintenance and especially breaking in. Ups and downs to everything...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I haven't seen the Yukon stuff. Is it insulated? I was given the chugach as a gift and know little about the high end clothing. I like it because it's a shell, and you can layer as appropriate under it based on hunt and conditions.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I never have drank the kuiu warrior koolaid. Same with sitka. I see people dressed in it head to toe all the time, even when in town or at the grocery store. It is an image thing, I guess. It is good stuff I'll admit, till a hole gets poked into it, which IME isn't too hard to do. Then it is worthless.

I don't have a suggestion for the OP, unfortunately. I use mainly Filson wool and their tin cloth stuff, whether in rain or snow. With the amount of water there is in SE Alaska, I'd probably show up with some double tin pants. They're significantly tougher than the synthetics, though take more maintenance and especially breaking in. Ups and downs to everything...

Filson tin cloth isn't very good around here. BT/DT. Wool is good, depending on the intensity of the hike and the weather. PVC is the standard, but I greatly prefer the Kuiu stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.