Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Most of the time I carry an S&W SD9VE, but when I carry a revolver, it's an LCR 357mag or a Detective Special.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Needing to get a conceal carry pistol/revolver Found a good deal on a Smith and Wesson 637 air-weight 38. Any good/bad on them. Also are the Kimber Micro 9’s any good. Thanks

Ruger EC9 is available now - almost sub-$200. Kel-Tec PF 9 - still the lightest, thinnest 8 shot 9mm and my fav. Glock Lard-butt 43 for those who must have a Glock regardless of how over-sized, over-weight and over-priced it is. And there is the Kimber for those who must spend the most money possible for a mediocre 9mm.

Of course there are the snubbys for the nostalgic.

Lots of good options today.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're possibly the only person on earth that prefers a Keltec PF-9 over a Glock 43.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
You're possibly the only person on earth that prefers a Keltec PF-9 over a Glock 43.

Nope, he's not. Make me number 2.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny thing happened Saturday. I had a grain of powder or something get under the extractor and could not close the cylinder.

Revolvers are pretty reliable until they aren't...

I also had a misfire leaving me with only 4.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

If you want to pretend to carry concealed, but really just want an over-priced dinky range gun - the Glock 43 is perfection.
IMHO of course.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dla

If you want to pretend to carry concealed, but really just want an over-priced dinky range gun - the Glock 43 is perfection.
IMHO of course.

Sure,and if you want the cheapest possible,made by retards pistol,then Keltec is a perfect choice. BTW,I much prefer the G-19 to the G-43.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My Kimber Micro 9 was a jammer. Nothing wrong with a good ole S&W Airweight in .38 sp. I prefer the Glock 43 in 9mm, but there are a ton of good options for concealed carry nowadays.

Yeah, for straight belt carry in a proper holster, the 43 blows the Airweight J-Frame .38s out of the water. However, the little, Airweight, double action revolvers do have their place, such as if you plan to sometimes just stuff it in your jacket, coat, or back pants pocket in a ready-to-go condition. No way I'd do that with a Glock 43.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by dla

IMHO of course.

Sure,and if you want the cheapest possible,made by retards pistol,then Keltec is a perfect choice. BTW,I much prefer the G-19 to the G-43.

Spoken like a dweeb who doesn't know form from function.

Go ahead and drink the Glock koolaid - lots of folks do. I used to as well - 25yrs ago. But at the end of the day the 43 is still twice as expensive, and over-weight for a true CC weapon.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

IMHO of course.

Go ahead and drink the Glock koolaid - lots of folks do. I used to as well - 25yrs ago. But at the end of the day the 43 is still twice as expensive, and over-weight for a true CC weapon.

I ain't even talking about the 43 but the Keltec sure ain't nothing special.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I got old ( will be 68 in a few days ). I found that I have a hard time working a semi's slide many times now. Never had that problem before. Went to a 38 special snub nose revolver for CCW. Use front pocket to carry it in. No problem handling the snub nose.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

IMHO of course.

I ain't even talking about the 43 but the Keltec sure ain't nothing special.

Exactly.

The Kel-Tec is a no-frills pistol highly optimized for concealed carry. Nothing else. What it does, it does very well.

Too often people say "concealed carry" but what they mean is 95% of the time it will be a range gun, 5% of the time it will be concealed. The PF-9 is the opposite.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Well, I got old ( will be 68 in a few days ). I found that I have a hard time working a semi's slide many times now. Never had that problem before. Went to a 38 special snub nose revolver for CCW. Use front pocket to carry it in. No problem handling the snub nose.

I read on another thread that as soon as you start carrying a revolver then you'll be accosted by a large gang of thugs and need a large super high capacity semi-auto striker fired only pistol and at least 2 boxes of ammo loaded up in spare mags in your backpack.

Oh, and a friend or relative that can rack the slide should be kept on speed dial in case a situation should arise.

Personally, I'd just roll with the snubnose cause I'm a habitual risk taker like that.

Last edited by DollarShort; 02/20/18.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dla

The Kel-Tec is a no-frills pistol highly optimized for concealed carry. Nothing else. What it does, it does very well.

Too often people say "concealed carry" but what they mean is 95% of the time it will be a range gun, 5% of the time it will be concealed. The PF-9 is the opposite.

On the contrary. Most people think you need a much smaller gun than you actually do in order to conceal carry. Over 95% of the time, I conceal carry full, service, sized handgun (currently a Glock 17, but in the past an S&W Model 13, or a full sized 1911), only resorting to the smaller ones (e.g., J-Frames or something like a Glock 43, Kahr P9, or Ruger LC9s Pro) when zero printing becomes a very high priority.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by dla

On the contrary. Most people think you need a much smaller gun than you actually do in order to conceal carry. Over 95% of the time, I conceal carry full, service, sized handgun (currently a Glock 17, but in the past an S&W Model 13, or a full sized 1911), only resorting to the smaller ones (e.g., J-Frames or something like a Glock 43, Kahr P9, or Ruger LC9s Pro) when zero printing becomes a very high priority.

You are correct, one can conceal N-frame revolvers. But concealing a PF-9 is far easier. I drop mine in my front pocket and forget about it - convenient. I dont have to dress around the PF-9. Drop it in my back pocket if I need my front pocket. Won't pull my pants down like the G43, or Shield.

With the PF-9, I'm always armed except where prohibited. With my Pro-Carry, I'm armed if convenient.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio

Check out the new S&W Shield .380 EZ. It's whole point is the slide is super easy to rack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I like my Shield 9 plenty

Ditto that.

Just bought a Ruger Security-9, though. Same size and 15-round mag as Glock 19. Got mine for $299. Glock 19's are going for well over $500.

When my holster arrives and I've had a chance to check it out further, the Ruger is likely to replace my Shield 9mm as my EDC gun.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I switch carry guns from time to time...why?...I don't know, I just like to cool

My Springfield XDS in .45acp carries nicely IWB

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a M&P Sheild 40 cal. Nice gun. Not too small to shoot, but not too big either. 40 cal is a nice man-stopper. Hope to never need it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
For a small 9mm I’d go with the Shield. They are an excellent pistol. It has displaced my Glock, which is a good one, even my 1911’s are feeling neglected.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.