Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Hook-the-moose-killed-in-car-crash-474400013.html

Having issues posting the story and photos. It is worth the peek at the link to see the size of the rack this guy has been growing for the last several years. An incredible bull!

By Sean Maguire | Posted: Sat 5:50 PM, Feb 17, 2018 | Updated: Sat 10:28 PM, Feb 17, 2018

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - An iconic Anchorage bull moose has been killed in a car crash early Saturday morning.

Don Dyer, the President of the Alaska Moose Federation, says Hook the moose was killed before 5:00 a.m. around 2600 E. 5th Ave.

Dyer said while Hook did not have his trademark rack, he did have some unique physical features that were easily identifiable including a cleft dewlap and a scar on the right-side of his nose.

The Alaska Moose Federation collects the bodies of moose for charities that then use their meat. Dyer explained the charity who claimed Hook donated his skull and hide to the Alaska Moose Federation. Dyer said Hook will now be turned into a full-body mount to honor his memory.

Alaska Moose Federation
on Saturday
It is with great sadness that I am posting the news of the death of Hook, the famous Bull Moose that lived around downtown / Merrill Field area of Anchorage. He was a iconic animal that represented the best that Alaska has to offer in wildlife for over nine years. He was known well here at home, and around the world as tourists shared his images.

Hook was struck by a car sometime during the early morning hours of Saturday, February 17th. AMF received the call at 5:06 AM from ...

Hook was our favorite moose to photograph and an icon in Anchorage. Sadly, we believe he was hit by a car this morning. We were called this morning by the Alaska Moose Federation to identify a large bull involved in a collision. Based upon a few of Hook's unique features, we believe this was him.

Hook was a legend here in Anchorage. He will be greatly missed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the comments I read about that were priceless. People carrying on about speed limits, designated animal crossing areas, encroaching on the mooses habitat, and calling for the drivers head(which they're probably lucky to still have) for hitting ole Hook. Jesus there's some dumb folks that live here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Bummer.
What a unique moose.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Some of the comments I read about that were priceless. People carrying on about speed limits, designated animal crossing areas, encroaching on the mooses habitat, and calling for the drivers head(which they're probably lucky to still have) for hitting ole Hook. Jesus there's some dumb folks that live here.

Not seeing the comments but I am not on Facebook so is probably why I am not seeing them... but the dumb comments are probably on a level with the woman that called the radio station to complain about deer crossings. She hit several deer in them and could not understand why they did not move the deer crossing signs to make it safer for the deer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Was this bull on some land where he couldn’t be hunted?
Or was he huntable?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Smack downtown Los Anchoragua ...
Sad - was always fun to see him! He was pretty impressive this fall.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Smack downtown Los Anchoragua ...
Sad - was always fun to see him! He was pretty impressive this fall.

Impressive, yes, but nothing like the year before...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That is true. He was definitely starting his decent this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad, always enjoyed seeing pics of him, would have looked great on my wall!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
[Linked Image]

Thank you for hanging that pic!

One thing it fails to show though is the scale of the beast! He was a huge-bodied bull and the antlers match... Put those antlers on a lesser bull and he could not walk!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah. Not much scale there.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty pathetic to hit a moose in an area with a 35 mph speed limit and well lit streets.

Then again driving the streets of Anchorage I'm sadly not that surprised.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not sure of the circumstances, but not all streets are well lit...

Time of night says it probably was not a drunk returning home...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would hate to hit a big animal like that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Be nice if the had it taxidermied and put in the Airport full size.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Article said he would be done lifesize. Did not say where he will go.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty pathetic to hit a moose in an area with a 35 mph speed limit

Not really. About 9 months ago as we were driving a white crew cab 350 long bed Ford in a 25 mph zone, a lady entered our lane from the opposing direction and centered the truck. She was packed off in an ambulance with a death grip on her phone. I suspect she was looking at that same screen when our truck jumped out and bit her.

Presently live in 25 mph suburbia, and we've had 3 mule deer killed by rigs within 30 yds of the house. Obviously it's pretty easy.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/24/18.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Quite a specimen! Sucks he had to go out that way.
You Anchorage fellers best be looking for alternate transportation - they're gonna be coming for your cars.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SKane
[Linked Image]

Quite a specimen! Sucks he had to go out that way.
You Anchorage fellers best be looking for alternate transportation - they're gonna be coming for your cars.

That is always it around here... animals seem to have every right of way, even when they run into you...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Pretty pathetic to hit a moose in an area with a 35 mph speed limit and well lit streets.

IIRC, the 2600 Block would put it in the area of Mt View Dr/Airport Rd & the Glenn. Transition area from 55 to 40mph? Of course, I am old and have forgotten a bunch of stuff...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

?

The moose came over the fence into the yard to attack the dogs.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

?

The moose came over the fence into the yard to attack the dogs.

You can tell what moose are thinking? Are you a moose whisperer, too?!?!?!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Jus’ reportin’ the story, ma’am.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heck of a bull.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

IIRC, the 2600 Block would put it in the area of Mt View Dr/Airport Rd & the Glenn. Transition area from 55 to 40mph? Of course, I am old and have forgotten a bunch of stuff...

Ed

Didn't catch the exact location. Folks are typically still going over 50 when the Glenn transitions to 5th Ave. I have had enough appear out of nowhere moose on city streets that IMHO if you're going 35 and an attentive driver you can most often stop or swerve to miss a moose. If you're going 50 or 60, you better duck and then give the moose federation a call after getting extracted from your vehicle.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty sharp, but sarcastic, and maybe mouthy kid I know well hit a moose a few years ago. Trooper was threatening a ticket when the kid laughed. Trooper went back to his cruiser to write said ticket. Kid said thank you... Trooper started in lecturing him while he smiled...

Trooper stopped to ask what he found funny...

"I am going to love seeing you explain to the Judge how it is my fault when the moose ran into the side of my truck!"

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
oh yes, we have unlimited numbers of idiots here who are the holier than thou types.endless stupid comments on situations like this

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
oh yes, we have unlimited numbers of idiots here who are the holier than thou types.endless stupid comments on situations like this

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.