Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow, Bruce is still working,,he saved our bacon our first trip...I gave him a good tip!!

I would suggest that, a tip, to all that touch your equipment. I made up packets of three, three dollar bills, gave them to the folks that carried, moved or recorded anything. Really helped IMHO. even tho signs every where advise not.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
UPDATE: US CUSTOMS CBP FORM 4457
Created: Monday, 03 April 2017 10:00 | Hits: 2923
Clarifications regarding the US Customs form 4457 were submitted to the Central Firearms Register and Commander of the South African Police Firearm Import Office at OR Tambo after many hours of negotiations and deliberation with the organisations in the USA.

4457Mr. John Fraser from the National Rifle Association helped tirelessly with the negotiations and answered questions.
The Outcome
No matter what information is submitted to the authorities about the non-expiry of a US Customs Form 4457 it is compulsory to submit a US Customs form stamped by US Customs with the relevant year [i.e. 2017]
This form is used to prove ownership of the firearm and should be completed correctly with all the relevant information on it: Firearm Type / Make / Model/ calibre / Serial number
You need to make sure you have the updated form that has the correct date [e.g. 2017] stamped on it.
It is our understanding that applications that are already submitted for a pre-issued permit will be honoured but all new applications must have the correct date on the US Customs form 4457.
We apologise for the inconvenience but to experience a trouble-free start to your safari this needs to be done.

We will keep you updated on any further changes.

If you have a problem obtaining an original copy of the form, you may download the updated CBP Form 4457 here [also available from our Downloads page].

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
When any person travels outside of the United States and they would like to take with them ANY item that is not made in the United States, they will have to make out a form 4457 BEFORE they leave the US.
This form will tell the customs agent when they return, that they took that item out and the duty was already paid on the item. If you do not have this form you would have to pay duty on it again.
This covers their cameras, radios, clothing, jackets, computers etc. anything made outside of the United States.
This form is called "CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION FOR PERSONAL EFFECTS TAKEN ABROAD.
Print out this form and fill it out so that when you go to the customs agent, you can fill out their form faster. Get model number and any serial number. If you have repair work done outside of the US, you have to declare the cost of the repair.
Leave the number "opening" blank. That is where the agent.
List each item with its model number, serial number. If you list a camera, list all the different lenses that you have. If you miss one you will have to pay duty on it.
If the item does not have a number the agent may have to place one on it.
Take the items to a customs office and fill out this same form. The back of their form will have some instruction on it. Fill out their form and they will check the items listed on your form with the items there, and if all is OK they will stamp and sign the form.
Keep this form and show it to the next customs agent the next time that you come back into the US. If you pick some new items up in the US, fill out a new form. You can have an unlimited number of forms.
A number of people will make out these forms even if they are not going out of the US so they have them in case they have to go at the last moment for some reason. Keep them at home. They are good forever.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dinsdale
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
. Any other input about places to hunt will also be appreciated.

I'm not a "regular" here, but have hunted in southern Africa several times now (5 trips ranging from 2-4 weeks; Duiker to Elephant); and FWIW I'd take KMG and Marius into careful consideration if you are looking for an outfitter.

Honest and hardworking immediately come to mind.

Spent a week hunting with him in 2016, and hope to plan another soon.

Thank you Dan. I appreciate the kind words sir. I really hope that you can make it to Toronto. Would be great to catch up.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Member JGRaider here has had multiple great trips with Kowas Safaris in Namibia.

https://kowasadventure.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And I HIGHLY recommend Namibia as well.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heck, I get nervous just going near Oakland....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bart... buddy, "I just want to shoot as many baboons as I can..."? I hope you and you son have the best possible father/son hunt of a lifetime.... I know very little about African hunting....so please forgive my ignorance.... but baboons?

It is nice to see you posting more often again.

John

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
but baboons?

Like squirrels.
Only bigger.

Have Dog

Will Travel

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I recall my then 20 year old blasting away at them on a ridge side maybe 300 yards out. He was using our 358 Win M70 and missed all but one after many shots thrown. He was dead on with the hunting critters but the monkeys wound him up.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
The authorities in RSA are not hunter friendly. They run away thousands of potential hunters each year with their stupid SAPS form 520 and changing regulations on the 4457 form. The employees who check your firearms in and out at the airport are sulky and ask for bribes. International hunter numbers to RSA have decreased 55% in the last 10 years and have increased by more than that in Namibia, which welcomes hunters.

Go to Namibia. If you fly through JNB, don't overnight, have your firearms and ammunition checked straight through to Windhoek.

It's just paperwork. You ARE going to a foreign country who doesn't have the same laws as the US. Hire a permit service with meet and greet. We were not bothered from the time we got off the plane until we were at our hotel (City Lodge). No bribes requested. I used Hunters Support. Anne runs a great service. She has been doing it for over 20 years.

H
H
I'm new on the site but if you're still open to ideas visit with Ryan Wilson, he has hunted Africa 20+ times and offers a service to help folks get set up. His favorite outfitter is Milkycreek Safaris, he can introduce you to them if you want. You can reach Martin Booysen at Milkycreek Safaris on the web or get with Ryan at milkycreeksafariswilsoncombat.com.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wife n I made two trips to Namibia and very much enjoyed people and game ..Lot of Namibia's game is wild and free roaming but there is plenty of it ! Taking guns in is very easy and trouble free as long as you take the customs form that is free from a customs agent

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
150 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.