-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Athough slower growing and more medium framed, for eating, I’m partial to polled Herefords. We had all polled Herefords for years, then bred Simmental in. Now they’re just about all Simmental.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When they started the angus beef burgers and such is when that breed took off. It is one of the best sales scams I have ever seen. If you hear it often enough it's got to be true. Lol Ed k

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
1. Angus ,red or black
2 Hereford
3. Black or red baldies

You can get bad dispositions in all of them. Cull hard.
Thes are my favorites for pasture situations.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I like that HEB breed.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It must be what you grew up eating. Back in south Indiana and Kentucky we ate a lot of Holstein steers or Holstein Angus cross.
We would stick those steers in a little dry lot and finish them with two five gallon buckets of shell corn per day for about a month then cut them up! Man that was good meat. Here in Montana the only good tasting beef I have eaten was oddly a Corriente roping steer that a friend kept and finished with grain. Outstanding. My ranch neighbors all have a standing saying, "neighbors beef eats best".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dad, raised purebred Black Angus. I rebelled and this is a representative of the cattle on the place now. For the most part Black/Red Angus, Simmental and Charalois cross. A neighbors Hereford bull jumped the fence so it is in the herd, too. I had 45 head of pure bred Red Angus recently, but sold them lock, stock and barrel. They were more of a novelty around the place.

I finish about 10 head every year for family and friends consumption. No complaints.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by roundoak; 02/20/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, if there were better cattle available you'd probably be buying those instead!

George, oh yeah, lucky for us there is still good natural windbreak and cover down on the river bottom.

Roughly 100 resident whitetail running around.

Kingston, my mom's grandpa and his sons had Herefords. Nice herd back in the day I guess. I've personally never been around them.

We have a neighbor a couple miles away that has Simmental cows. Every once in awhile they get mixed up with a couple of ours. I think our black cows are wilder...

Ed, I've heard that some guys run a good polled hereford bull or two with their best cows and end up with uber mother black baldies.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by SBTCO
The best I've had has been grass fed Texas Longhorn.

Grass fat cattle is not as good as those finished on grain (corn).

I've had both and the longhorns tasted better, and better for you.

Here's something that surprised me, in the early history of San Antonio by the late Eighteenth Century, longhorns which had by then established widespread feral populations, were not held in high regarded as table fare, tho surely all were grass-fed.

Their market value lay in their hides and tallow, one wonders just how much tallow (fat) was on them. In the early years cattle ranching was an iffy proposition in Spanish Texas mostly due to the mortality rate among isolated vaqueros to Indians. For the most part relations with the Indians were cordial, but all it needed per vaquero could be a single uncordial Indian at some point and the vaquero wasn't coming home. OTOH slaughtering the longhorns in place and then collecting the hides and tallow could be a group proposition, therefore less risky. The hides and tallow then being shipped by oxcarts, big two-wheeled carretas drawn by pairs of oxen (which carts could haul around 500 pounds). So many feral longhorns were slaughtered this way by groups of men acting on their own that San Antonio authorities attempted to regulate the process without much success.

Alternatively, groups of Tejanos would band together and organize annual drives to deliver the hides and tallow on the hoof. Mexico was a major market via Monterrey, 250 miles distant though drives in that direction were dependent upon whatever the annual rainfall happened to be that year. What has been mostly forgotten in popular history are the annual 500 to 600 mile cattle drives to New Orleans beginning in the year 1779, from the San Antonio area and especially further south around Goliad which became the center of the Spanish Texas cattle industry.

http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/opelousa.htm

A pity these original Texas cattle drives ain't better recorded, those old-time vaqueros might have boasted a few flintlock smoothbores, and prob'ly more'n a few bows and arrows, but that was it. Must have been some epic drives. When the Americans arrived in numbers beginning in the 1820's they took up the practice and also drove cattle east, the first big Texas cattle drives.

Anyways, closer to the topic, in the winter of 1835/1836 about 500 American were waiting in the Goliad area (weren't nobody supposed to be at the Alamo) to repel an anticipated invasion by the Mexican army, a period of waiting spanning about three months. This was the Texian Army, at that time officially fighting to restore the Mexican Constitution of 1824 rather than for Texas Independence. During that time these men were armed and fed by the cabal of New Orleans merchants and Southern State governments that were financing the war. One of the supply ships sent by the merchants ran aground over by present-day Houston leaving these men critically short of supplies.

One of the biggest subsequent complaints of the Texian army around Goliad was that they were reduced to feeding on longhorns.

Meanwhile, throughout this period until at least the 1830's, buffalo robes and meat were an essential component of the annual economy of a typical Tejano household, 100 plus mile expeditions to the north and west being organized in the late fall and winter for this purpose, these expeditions centering around the ox carts used to transport the collect meat and hides home.

Birdwatcher

Oh. so now I've been reduced to peon for eating longhorn? grin
Thanks for the history, Bird, great stuff!
In reality, the longhorn we've had have been incredible specimens with regard to size and build, not the scrawny critters you see in Lonesome Dove.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Black angus gets all the press and was marketed as the best....never know every critter wil be a little different...around here in se Nebraska. Black baldy steers will command a premium at the sale barn....usually angus cow Herford bull...but as a kid we had black whiteface cows..nothing special but had a sanagatrutis bull....it was the best beef I have ever tasted..
Nehbor butchered a shorthorn angus cross....pretty top notch...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a black or red baldy?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tex, scroll up to Roundoak's post...

He's got red baldies, black baldies, char cross baldies, brown baldies. Pretty much any baldie combo imaginable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Downstream
My ranch neighbors all have a standing saying, "neighbors beef eats best".

Yeah, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sam, thanks. So a baldy is a no horned cow.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Negative Tex, a baldie is a critter with a white face and a black/red/brown, etc., body.

Some people just call them a 'black white face' instead of black baldie.

Here's a miniature version black baldie.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that Kim K's crotch behind the double OO?
Talkin' about black baldies....

Slave
P.S. You guys keep up the good work. I love the beef.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam, thanks. So a baldy is a no horned cow.

That would be a polled animal. As in Polled Hereford, not a horned Hereford. A baldie has a white face. My Dad raised Registered Polled Hereford cows when I was a Kid but found out that Cross breeds did better Here, especially those with a touch of Brahma in them. They stood the summer heat and mosquito's better. A neighbor had some High dollar register horned Herefords back in the 80's but got rid of them due to the fact they did not produce the milk that the calves needed. He switched to Quarter horses and got out of the cow business all together. Did not matter to much about the money as He made a fortune raising Golden Shiner minnows. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slave, I was seriously thinking the same thing about that old bald stump!

Great minds...

Miles, hybrid vigor!

We need cattle that can tolerate the cold as well as heat but lean more towards cold weather.

When we do pasture moves in the summer we start at daylight and try to be done around noon. Last summer was brutal hot in July and it was a struggle.

Those old black cows don't move when it's in the 90-100F range, way too hard on them, especially in the hills.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks miles, I got it now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bald is the Old English word for white hence Bald Eagle. Herefords where originally from England and where often referred to as Baldface Herefords. That gene for whiteface must be pretty dominate,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowfisher
[
Our neighbor has some of those, pretty cool. He said they are slow gainers though...we have a baldie heifer , grass fed, in the freezer. Very good!

Slow gainer? Yeah, that's what I've heard too. They are fairly docile, and they don't get pissy when you walk around their calves. They also will do work pulling carts and such. That's how I first saw them -- at a Highland Games. I was thinking of starting a few on the 5 acres directly behind the house and seeing how things go.

They are hardy. You don't have to give them shelter over the winter.
They can stomp a coyote. That's a plus around here.
They eat red cedar down to a stump. That's a huge plus.
They can be taught to stay inside a fence.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.