Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I tried a peep on mine, didn't like it. Its great in good light but not good (for me) in poor light. And yes, during legal shooting hours when I can see and identify game.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a ghost ring peep and helps with lower light shooting. I had more difficulty seeing my German silver blade and buckhorns. In good light, I can draw a finer bead though with the silver blade. Probably need to draw another muzzleloader tag this year for something.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I put a Ghost Ring sight on my CVA Optima which is my spare muzzy. That rifle likes the Platinum Power Belts better than the Thors. I haven't killed anything with it yet but it is good to have a spare when you are out in the middle of nowhere. In 2016 used the TC Triumph with the Thors up in Wyo on an antelope at 125 yds. Pretty darn flat for a muzzle loader and hits hard. I have killed 6 or 8 bulls with the TC Renegade 54 with the 435 grain Buffalo Bullets which sure kills hell out of em. Kind of like hitting them with a big rock. But for me with iron sights 100 yards was pushing it. The inline Triumph with the Thors and Blackhorn 209 is a game changer for sure. Certainly not a traditional muzzle loader.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Like anything else they're not for everyone. When I started using one at the range I thought the aperture was too restrictive to my vision of the target. After I got used to it I took the aperture out of the sight expecting my group size would open up but that didn't happen. I find it easy to look over the sight to watch an animal or wait for a shot.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a TC Renegade with a 50 and a 54 caliber barrel for it that I use as my iron sight rifles and if I ever go to Colorado on a muzzleloader elk hunt that rifle would probably get the nod. I shoot it with the 50 cal. barrel at muzzleloader shoots and sometimes hunt with the 54 cal. barrel. I like round balls but also have a mini ball mold for the 54. I would be more tempted to put a reciever sight on the 54 caliber barrel. I think though I would have no problem hitting an elk in the right place with it as is to 125 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A couple of Maxi-balls that came out of the bull I shot in Colorado. He was down after the first shot but was trying to get up on a steep slope and we didn't want him going any further downhill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
I use the 348 grain Powerbelt ahead of 80 grains Blackhorn 209 because it's an accurate load. Haven't lost one yet. I wouldn't go smaller for elk and like SS said, they don't need to be pushed hard.

Smokepole, is that the silver bullet with blue plastic base and will it penetrate through a bulls shoulder? Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it's copper coated. I've shot one through a bulls's scapula, but nothing thicker.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks. I had used some of the silver ones years ago on deer and had heard they were a bit soft for elk. If i go for elk i will take your findings into account. Thanks again and take care and good fortune in your hunting endeavours. Jag

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I have a t c omega and tried the Thor bullets with no success. One was too large to ram down the bore and the others werent tight enough to get decent groups with.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Thanks. I had used some of the silver ones years ago on deer and had heard they were a bit soft for elk. If i go for elk i will take your findings into account. Thanks again and take care and good fortune in your hunting endeavours. Jag

Thanks Jag. They are soft, so don't use a ot of powder behind them. Have you tried the Hornady FPBs? They shoot pretty well in my Triumph.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
250 Thor. One Shot One Kill.

Attached Images
250 Thor.jpg (93.21 KB, 53 downloads)
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK, I got Thor bullets to send me a sizing pack. Kind of confused as to what size is correct. Obviously the .500 are too small as I can shake the barrel and get the bullet to fall through. But the .501 through .503 all feel exactly the same while pushing through with my range rod....VERY TIGHT!

Looking for suggestions.

T/C Omega

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd start a thread in the muzzleloader forum on this. You should get some input from guys that use them. There was a long thread there a year or so ago. Maybe you can search for it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dunno. I have only shot the .500's in my Triumph somebody gave me to try. It doesn't fall down the barrel even with a clean barrel. Seats good against the powder with the ramrod. Shots after the first one are tighter to ram down obviously as the barrel gets dirty but can shoot several with Blackhorn 209 without cleaning.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It seems strange that the .500 is so loose and the .501-.503 are so tight.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Agreed. Are you lubing the bullets at all? I went on the website and noticed they make a "one size fits all" bullet now. It has slots in the skirt to make loading easier.

M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No I am not lubing them. But seriously, if I drop a .500 in the barrel and bounce the butt pad on my floor the bullet will fall all the way to the breech. Then the .501-.503 are super tight and require much force.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E.A. Brown makes a scope base with a peep sight, so that you can use a scope where allowed and the peep in Colorado. When I mounted one on my Omega (the old stainless laminate version, but not the short one) it worked fine. Hint: Adjust the peep using the rear fiber optic, before removing the fiber optic.
I've always been nearsighted but age has crept up on me and i should be using bifocals. Rear fiber optics tend to overpower the front sight. I really like the rear peep with a front fiber optic.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mark, I'd try the .501's based on what I've read about these bullets. I would call the company and ask about the one size fits all bullets too. No harm in putting some bore butter on the bullets unless the instructions say not to.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (06hunter59, 1lesfox, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.