Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have been a casual reloader for many years and never run into this problem. When seating bullets in .223 brass my case is collapsing and forming a ring around the top of the brass right where the body meets the shoulder. What am I doing wrong and how do I prevent this? Thanks for any ideas you might have for correcting this situation.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not an expert or a gunwriter, but are you crimping at the same time as seating the bullets?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Are you chamfering Case mouth? I use the VLD tool

Last edited by hanco; 02/21/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you are not prematurely crimping by having your seating die set to low, then i would look at these questions. What is the diameter of the expander ball? Doe this happen with specific cases or bullets? How well are the case necks chamfered?

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
The cases are chamfered but my seating die may be set too low. I'll check and see what happens. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
The cases are chamfered but my seating die may be set too low. I'll check and see what happens. Thanks.

That was my first thought.

Ask me how I know that's a problem. blush

Good luck,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
It was the die being set too low that was causing the problem. It didn't,take you guys long to figure out what was wrong .I appreciate your help.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It was the die being set too low that was causing the problem. It didn't,take you guys long to figure out what was wrong .I appreciate your help.

I'm a bit late to the party, but the reason folks are so quick to reply with the correct answer(s) is we have all done the exact same thing. blush

Not many mistakes to make that some, or most, of us haven't already made.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you get to noticing there are powder kernels scattered on your bench, but you don't remember spilling any, make sure you put primers in the cases before you charge more of them. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
If you get to noticing grinthere are powder kernels scattered on your bench, but you don't remember spilling any, make sure you put primers in the cases before you charge more of them. grin

Scattered on the bench? That's what the shell holder trays are for, to catch the powder kernels that fall through the hole.

Jeez, do I have to explain everything? grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
If you get to noticing grinthere are powder kernels scattered on your bench, but you don't remember spilling any, make sure you put primers in the cases before you charge more of them. grin

Scattered on the bench? That's what the shell holder trays are for, to catch the powder kernels that fall through the hole.

Y'all makin' me laugh!

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

But I had a few that got all the way to the bullet seating stage, so they were being handled. You see, 3031 logs don't flow all that freely out of the flash holes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another important advantage of spherical powders.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
4831 is not apt to leak out as much.

Last edited by ipopum; 02/21/18. Reason: wrong spelling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

If you wear shorts while reloading you'll be able to feel the powder trickling down onto your bare thigh....

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the VLD chamfering tool, the gentle angle makes bullet seating go much smoother.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I'm a bit late to the party, but the reason folks are so quick to reply with the correct answer(s) is we have all done the exact same thing. blush

Not many mistakes to make that some, or most, of us haven't already made.

Ed

Since I"m an expert at loading and have been since my teens with no mistakes, I also hear tell that most folks eventually stick a case in the size die too.

On a serious note, one of the first thigns I bought was a stuck case remover.. actually took a number of years, but yes I finally needed it...

My first donut crimps were 300 wtby ammo.

Luck has it most dud ammo I"ve done, IE no primer, dud primer, forgot powder, somehow ended up in my wifes competition ammo... she sure gave me the evil eye. And it was NOT intentional, at that time I could still beat her without extra effort> LOL

Lets see, powder dripping out of cases- check
No pimer, check, obviously, see above
no powder, check
Oops, didn't realize you shouldn't use cast bullet data for jacketed- check and bought a totally new bolt for that rifle.
Stuck case, check
forgot to empty powder measure or at least put label on it and yep... time flew by and no idea what powder was in there... so tossed it in the flower bed.

That is all I can remember on short notice.

I can say, that in the days before you tube, and having no experience at loading, a teenager was probably not the best age to start loading, didn't read all instructions or totally understand, no mentor, dad had never done it... learned lots by trial and error... maybe I should have started later or with a mentor... 14 or so might have been a bit young.

That said, reminds me of shotgun shells... it took me some years to understand why crimps over closed or didn't close all the way and the importance of volume vs powder/shot and wad shapes/sizes in loads... as I understood more "mechanical" things, I understood more things on shotgun shells.

Now it really seems looking back, I wasn't dangerous but might have been close to stupid...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.