Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Depends on what I am hunting.....for a general deer killin' scope, most anything will work.

For coyotes, I want a 30mm tube, illuminated FFP reticle with hashmarks or a tree that match the turret. Good Glass,excellent tracking, and all of that doe $500.00.....yeah, I know its a pipe dream. I think the LRTSi and LRHSi are about as close as I am going to get, I just cant make myself pull the trigger just yet.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
What do I want ?

Accurate adjustments
Stout Construction
Superb glass
An Etched Hunting Reticle #4 or Plex
Illumination option for those times you absolutely positively have to have it.

I'm good with that. I would prefer capped windage, correction in mils on the horizontal, along with a lockable zero stopped elevation turret... preferably 3-15x42.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rovert
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What do I want ?

Accurate adjustments
Stout Construction
Superb glass

Hensoldt.

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that 34 mm tubes and 56 mm objectives aren't what many are looking for in a hunting scope. Also, I'd be kinda surprised to see a #4 or duplex offered on a Hensoldt.

You’re simply not going to find a stoutly constructed scope that has accurate repeatable turret adjustments AND superb glass in any scopes but the Hensoldts according to form’s assessment of present day rifle scopes. If you were willing to settle for good glass then a Nightforce NXS would fit the bill, or one of several upper end Bushnells. The other scopes that have superb glass apparently fall short in the first two requirements. I don’t worry about the weight of my rifle, though many on here seem almost obsessed with knocking a few ounces off wherever they can. They’re all better hunters than me which is OK, I don’t view it as a competition anyway.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
To clarify-

The Nightforce ATACR F1 and BEAST scopes have world class “glass” and work perfectly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rovert
What do I want ?

Accurate adjustments
Stout Construction
Superb glass

Hensoldt.

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that 34 mm tubes and 56 mm objectives aren't what many are looking for in a hunting scope. Also, I'd be kinda surprised to see a #4 or duplex offered on a Hensoldt.

You’re simply not going to find a stoutly constructed scope that has accurate repeatable turret adjustments AND superb glass in any scopes but the Hensoldts according to form’s assessment of present day rifle scopes. If you were willing to settle for good glass then a Nightforce NXS would fit the bill, or one of several upper end Bushnells. The other scopes that have superb glass apparently fall short in the first two requirements. I don’t worry about the weight of my rifle, though many on here seem almost obsessed with knocking a few ounces off wherever they can. They’re all better hunters than me which is OK, I don’t view it as a competition anyway.

Sounds like a great reason not to fart around with turrets on a simple hunting rifle to me.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/21/18.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about simple basic adjustments that track perfectly accurately and reliably? That would make setting and forgetting easier to do and confidently count on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I haven’t read all the responses but I would divide rifle/scope application into at least two groups arbitrarily — 0-500 yds and 500-1000 yds — just to separate short to med-range from mostly long-range use. You could further divide by varmint-predator use as opposed to big game use. You could obviously carry specialization a long way.

For example, for a dedicated elk rifle in the mountains where weight is also crucial (for me) and where I would not push it beyond 500 yds, I could pick the Leupold VX2 6X LRD. That is if it’s absolutely reliable in holding zero which is apparently now debatable.

I like to think I choose the right item for my intended/imagined application where not all options or features available are needed or even desired.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman
How about simple basic adjustments that track perfectly accurately and reliably? That would make setting and forgetting easier to do and confidently count on.

I just havent had any problems obtaining zero with the zeiss and Leupold scopes I have used.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by mathman

I just havent had any problems obtaining zero with the zeiss and Leupold scopes I have used.

I haven't either,but it's more a matter of eventually getting there than just shooting and adjusting the appropriate number of clicks. I didn't even know how bad they were until I used a scope that adjusted properly.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
To clarify-

The Nightforce ATACR F1 and BEAST scopes have world class “glass” and work perfectly.

I haven’t looked through a Nightforce ATACR F1 or the Nightforce Beast. I have owned and used 3 Nightforce NXS scopes. The glass in the NXS is fine and would work for any shooting condition I would be in. I have heard about the ATACR F1 & BEAST glass and would really really love to buy one to mount on one of my rifles. Form, your endorsement is the gold standard for me, and validates the chatter I’ve heard.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
S&B it will be , most likely a Klassic

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
To clarify-

Yep.

Just picked up a 3.5-15 F1 MLR 2.0 thats begging to be put on another Tikka.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (1lesfox, 1Longbow, 160user, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.