Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this scope? https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gr...10x40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

I am pretty well hooked on SWFA however at that price I'm thinking if it tracks well and holds zero it would be worth trying..

Thanks...

Ben

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ben,
I have one on a RAR predator 223, it tracks fine and the turrets match the reticle, nice scope. For the price it is a steal.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Looks like a good scope to put on my Encore .50ML to click up to 250 yards, maybe a wee bit more.

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Second focal plane.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a couple at $162 last month.

Put one on a 22 Mag RAR and the other will go on my 308 RAR predator truck gun. Being that both rifles with scope are sub $500 each fully setup I felt it was fine choice for the use. I wanted a variable and these weren't overly heavy and the price was right compared to VX-2 and the like. They get decent reviews on SH and such. The second focal plane for me on this type of scope for my uses is a non issue as if I am needing to use hold over or dial and hold for wind than I am turning up to 10X anyways. Sure its not the best scope on the block but it certainly workable and I like it better than the VX3I 3.5-10X40 I just got as well. I will run it out to to 600 yards or so in a week on my .308 and see how it does just for fun.

I have no illusions its a top tier scope but for the money it'll work for my uses and frees up my SWFAs for other rifles.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Second focal plane

I always wonder why this matters on a low end variable like this 3-10.

If I'm reducing the magnification, I'm likely preparing for a close range shot and using the duplex center.

Scopes like this live on 10x for 99% of their life. I have one coming in, and plan to stack it next to the proven LRHS just for funs.

BTW Scenar...didn't you have a hand in testing the LRHS? Were you also advised on the new LRHS update?

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 02/18/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those turrets look a lot like the ones on the SS 3-9.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Second focal plane

If I'm reducing the magnification, I'm likely preparing for a close range shot and using the duplex center.

Scopes like this live on 10x for 99% of their life. I have one coming in, and plan to stack it next to the proven LRHS just for funs.

BTW Scenar...didn't you have a hand in testing the LRHS? Were you also advised on the new LRHS update?

exactly. your not going to use the features of the reticle unless your on max power. with a 10x max scope your not ever going to need to dial off max power because of mirage. your not going to need wind hold offs unless your on 10x. your not going to be shooting past 300 yards, which is the point at which you would dial the scope unless you are on 10X. if the distance is shorter its point and shoot. why give up low power reticle visibility just so your subtensions are the same at 5x, when you don't give a crap about sub tensions at that distance?

that weaver is an interesting scope. it looks to me like an elite, I know weaver and bushnell our both owned by vista outdoors now. which isn't a good things, vista outdoors has ran bushnell into the ground. I would be curious where that weaver is made. if its japanese made, heck I think I want one. let us know what you think and where its made.

PS save FFP for very high power scopes, ie 6-24x etc

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would be curious where that weaver is made. if its japanese made, heck I think I want one

I've read that yes, this is a Japan made scope. Can't confirm, but the Google engine turns up a few hits here, SnipersHide, etc with comments pointing to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Second focal plane

exactly. your not going to use the features of the reticle unless your on max power. with a 10x max scope your not ever going to need to dial off max power because of mirage. your not going to need wind hold offs unless your on 10x. your not going to be shooting past 300 yards, which is the point at which you would dial the scope unless you are on 10X. if the distance is shorter its point and shoot. why give up low power reticle visibility just so your subtensions are the same at 5x, when you don't give a crap about sub tensions at that distance?

that weaver is an interesting scope. it looks to me like an elite, I know weaver and bushnell our both owned by vista outdoors now. which isn't a good things, vista outdoors has ran bushnell into the ground. I would be curious where that weaver is made. if its japanese made, heck I think I want one. let us know what you think and where its made.

PS save FFP for very high power scopes, ie 6-24x etc

I agree with ya like I said above SFP is far from a deal breaker for me on a low power (10X max) scope.

As far as where its made, mine said "made in Japan" on the bottom of it. It also says MidwayUSA on the box and on the inside of the objective housing.

So it is most certainly this same scope here but you can currently pick them up for $170:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$170 where?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Natchez Shooter Supply.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought one several years ago from Midway USA when, I think it was advertised as a Midway exclusive. I put it on my Sig 400 and have been very pleased with its adjustments, clarity, etc.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Second focal plane

Despite what the keyboard commandos argue to the contrary, the best plans don't always go as planned. Seen more than one shot miffed by guys shooting 400+ yards and thinking their SFP reticles were set to max magnification, when in fact they weren't. A good FFP reticle mitigates one more point of potentially screwing up. On low magnification the reticle appears as a simple duplex anyway, which is what I want when on low mag. Win-win.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No argument here. Agree on all you just said.

For $170 and change I can throw some tape on the power ring smile The Po’ Mans Fixed 10

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha this is true but I am not shooting game past 300 yards for the rifles they are going on. If I shoot further it’ll be at steel just dorking around. Not into reticle hold over anyway.

Not buying a $600 3-9x42 SWFA for these rifles. And it frees up the SWFA fixed scopes for better rifles . Like I said no illusions that it’s a perfect end all be all scope. For shots out to 300 on game with a 308 I am not even using the reticle. I plan to use it just like I have always done with duplex reticles and just aim a bit high. I don’t see being caught using the reticle for hold overs if I never plan to use that aspect in the first place.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Haha this is true but I am not shooting game past 300 yards for the rifles they are going on. If I shoot further it’ll be at steel just dorking around. Not into reticle hold over anyway.

Not buying a $600 3-9x42 SWFA for these rifles. And it frees up the SWFA fixed scopes for better rifles . Like I said no illusions that it’s a perfect end all be all scope. For shots out to 300 on game with a 308 I am not even using the reticle. I plan to use it just like I have always done with duplex reticles and just aim a bit high. I don’t see being caught using the reticle for hold overs if I never plan to use that aspect in the first place.

The same problem can creep up with wind holds or lead for movers, but for your application with those scopes, I’m sure you’ll be fine wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Seen more than one shot miffed by guys shooting 400+ yards and thinking their SFP reticles were set to max magnification, when in fact they weren't.

I was guilty of that once myself at about 400 yds. Fortunately it was just a coyote.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't get much opportunities at distant coyotes or any other animals for that matter when the wind starts getting close to 10 mph or so. for me its rare to need a wind hold on any animal unless I am shooting well beyond 300 yards. if the wind is that much I usually stay home anyways. the type of shooting I typically do from 500 to 1000 I usually make some correction for the wind almost always. but in those situations I am on max power anyways. 15x on my nightforce scopes. hence why I don't like FFP

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. We know......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,311
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.