Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well after searching and searching for the right rifle I bought a Sako Finnlight in .300 wsm. However, I learned after buying the rifle the Sako 85's have ejection issues so I'm not going to keep this rifle. Haven't shot it but did run a few empty casings through it an it appears it may have a problem and I'm not willing to try deal with these issues.

As pizzed off as I am at Beretta for putting out all the bad 85's I'm seriously looking at getting the Tikka T3X laminated steel in .300 wsm as it seems to be the only rifle under $1500 that meets all my requirements. So I have some questions.

I know the plastic magazines can be replaced with metal so would plan on doing this.
Anyone having any sort of cycling issues with their Tikka's?
Do the wsm's cycle well in this rifle?
Anyone shooting 200 grain bullets out of the 11" twist barrels? If so what are your experiences with accuracy?
Are there any other downfalls to buying this rifle or bad experiences anyone has had?

Thanks,
Adams

BP-B6

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Only downfall to owning a Tikka is if you ever have to deal with the terrible Beretta customer service, (so far the dozen or more Tikkas I have owned have never had any issues) as far as the rifle goes I can think of no downsides, it should function perfectly and shoot lights out and if you dont like the trigger guard/ bolt shroud / bolt stop/ bolt handle/ magazine etc. they are all replaceable, several places sell excellent aftermarket OEM parts, some of My favorite Tikka parts are sold by Tikka Precision/Mountain tactical......Good luck.....Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
bud I can answer 2 of your questions. I have (3) Tikka T3's and have had absolutely no cycling issues but my rifles are chambered in 260 rem,7mm-08 rem and 6.5x55 swede so not sure about Tikkas and the sharp wizzzzzm shoulder. I absolutely love mine and have had no issues with no bad experiences. I've never even had mag issues but don't hunt in sub 0 degree weather either like some of these guys do.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No cycling issues with my two tyikkas, though they arent WSMs..I DO hunt in sub zero on occasion and have had no issues with the plastic mags, shrouds etc....

Tikka fan!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had a T 3 Lite SS 270 since 2003 ---- NOT ONE problem
Even the 'plastic' magazine still works perfectly.

I have recently acquired a T 3X Lite SS 7m RM. I've shot about 16-20 rounds thru it..... NOT ONE problem.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I've never had a problem with the OEM magazines in the 3 or 5 round. Unfortunately, Tikka does not make a 5 round magazine for the WSM, but Mountain Tactical soon will have their metal ones in 3 and 5 round. Only thing I'm not sure of on theirs is the hole through the sides and bottom of the magazines. Not sure the reasoning, but it just seems like another way for crud to get in the magazine when in a pocket or if dropped. If they are easy to disassemble, then I guess it isn't as much of an issue.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I was thinkin the same thing about the holes in the new magazines, hopefully I will have My hands on one soon as I have one on pre-order.......Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been shooting a Tikka .308 for years.... No problems, never. The 11 twist on my .308 is crazy accurate.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My 30-06 shoots 200 gr. Partitions very well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Once I get mountain tactical bottom metal for my T3x and the alum mag I willl have a complete rifle.

RIght now it is one wicked accurate rifle

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much for the Finnlight?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the Sako.I'm not trying to be a smartass but you write"it appears" to have "the" ejection problem.I have read enough to realize it is possible you have a bad one.I have also read some don't, even the most notorious,being 85M and 85SM actions.I have an 85S with no issues what so ever.As a matter of fact,I traded a Tikka,with extras of course,for it.I wouldn't trade back that's for sure.I would bet you will take a beating money wise.That would be enough to motivate me to make it work,or get a refund.You didn't buy it from Beretta,if it is truly a defective item,you should be refunded from the vendor.If you bought it with a cc you have some leverage.If you bought it for really good price from a private party you were ripped off.I would not buy one unless it was tested first(returnable).
Like I said I had a T3 and loved it,but it's no 85 by a longshot.If you do go that route with the Tikka their stock magazines are just fine,I never saw a need to get the aftermarket metal type,plastic won't rust.The actions feed everything well.That along with the great accuracy is what sells them.It aint because they are pretty.
So ,how much you want for that POS Sako.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My T3 .270 WSM has feed perfectly for many years now. It has been a great rifle.

A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I've got $1480 in the Sako. I bought it brand new online from Northern Firearms. I've spoke with them and no refund as I've had the gun since late October and didn't call them until early January. Right now I consider the gun to be brand new. But if I start putting a scope on it or doing anything else besides having cycled a few empty casings, in my mind it becomes a used gun. That's why I really don't want to start down that path. Although my elk hunt isn't until October I want to do a lot of 300 - 500 yard shooting with the rifle. I'd like to start shooting in March and do a lot of my shooting in cooler weather. I like to shoot when temperatures are in that 30-50 degree range.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Adams, I have an 85 in 300 WSM and an A7 in 300 WSM.

The 85 doesn't have the brass issue but it also doesn't cycle quite as smoothly as the straight stack A7 mag.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Euro Optics for Tikka/Sako

https://www.eurooptic.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Adams
I've got $1480 in the Sako. I bought it brand new online from Northern Firearms. I've spoke with them and no refund as I've had the gun since late October and didn't call them until early January. Right now I consider the gun to be brand new. But if I start putting a scope on it or doing anything else besides having cycled a few empty casings, in my mind it becomes a used gun. That's why I really don't want to start down that path. Although my elk hunt isn't until October I want to do a lot of 300 - 500 yard shooting with the rifle. I'd like to start shooting in March and do a lot of my shooting in cooler weather. I like to shoot when temperatures are in that 30-50 degree range.
Id sell it at a loss to bh444 and save Myself the grief, he is aware of the issue so let him deal with it and move on......Hb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My son has a T3 Laminated in .300 WSM. No feeding issues and super accurate. The heaviest bullets he's shot are 180's.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KenMi
I've never had a problem with the OEM magazines in the 3 or 5 round. Unfortunately, Tikka does not make a 5 round magazine for the WSM, but Mountain Tactical soon will have their metal ones in 3 and 5 round. Only thing I'm not sure of on theirs is the hole through the sides and bottom of the magazines. Not sure the reasoning, but it just seems like another way for crud to get in the magazine when in a pocket or if dropped. If they are easy to disassemble, then I guess it isn't as much of an issue.

I received my mountain tactical magazines for my 270win and they have to fix an issue with the magazine. The bolt hits the lips and won’t feed the last round and makes it hard to put in the rifle. I believe they are on the issue and will have a revised version soon.

The magainzes are simple to pull apart which is nice to clean them. Overall great design !

No plastic parts left on my rifle now...just received the new Mcmillan stock for it yesterday

Rob
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Harv, sounds like you have a super nice rifle....Enjoy!.....Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
795 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,204 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.