Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This guy has some interesting videos. Calls his series "Mousetrap Mondays". He's explored and built old designs, tested the new, and is fun to watch.

I like this one: Walk the Plank. I actually ordered one to deal with some squirrels. We'll see how it fares.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That is a very clever trap. I wonder how deep the barrel needs to be so a squirrel can't jump out if you don't put water in it to catch them alive?

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend who cobbled together something very similar that he uses to get rid of chipmunks.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What also works is an old coffee/beer can. takes about 5 min to make an about $2....depending on your beer of choice
[Linked Image]

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good way to make use of that hoppy IPA crap.... I LIKE IT!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Then, for nuts like me, there's the Jim Corbett ladder-posing-as-a-machan method.

First, you bait the rodent with peanut butter:
[Linked Image]

Then you quietly climb up the ladder er..Machan and wait in the dark with just enough light.... The rat knows you are there, but eventually temptation sets in and a 9422 with rat shot does the rest..

[Linked Image]

Oh, and I almost forgot, I didn't have to pay to hunt...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
He has some interesting videos on killing rats, like this one,
https://youtu.be/oM09ZgY2qPM
Ronnie

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Corbet would approve. So would Patterson. I see the movie now "Mouse in the Darkness". Hmmm, somehow not as scary without lions. smile

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Then, for nuts like me, there's the Jim Corbett ladder-posing-as-a-machan method.

[Linked Image]

Then you quietly climb up the ladder er..Machan and wait in the dark with just enough light.... The rat knows you are there, but eventually temptation sets in and a 9422 with rat shot does the rest..

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Many moons ago, we were watching TV one night, and my wife screamed "there goes a mouse." One had run behind the TV. I grabbed a BB gun, and when it came out from behind the TV, I shot the little sucker. My wife had a fit, called my stunt dangerous, and said she didn't want to ever see me shoot a gun inside the house. I simply said.....mission accomplished.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Layers of defense.

I use the bucket traps in the garage and under the house.

Feed the feral cats outside fairly regularly.

keep this killer on the inside of the house.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Then, for nuts like me, there's the Jim Corbett ladder-posing-as-a-machan method...Oh, and I almost forgot, I didn't have to pay to hunt...

You. sir, are my hero.

If you don't mind my asking, what sort of stopping rifle do you recommend should your quarry be wounded and charge? Do you have guards on the ladder legs to prevent them from crawling up on you in the dark and ambushing you?

Yr obt svt,

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed,

I'd hazard a guess and hope he has a solid in the lineup after the rat shot to make sure of penetration on a charge.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Many moons ago, we were watching TV one night, and my wife screamed "there goes a mouse." One had run behind the TV. I grabbed a BB gun, and when it came out from behind the TV, I shot the little sucker. My wife had a fit, called my stunt dangerous, and said she didn't want to ever see me shoot a gun inside the house. I simply said.....mission accomplished.

My first ever kill was a mouse that ran behind the TV to hide. Grabbed my trusty suction cup gun, took the cup off the "bullet", and let him have it. Quite the safari for a pre-schooler.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
aalf,

I just love a good huntin' story.

Geno

PS, do they still make those pistols in this litigious society? Orange muzzles so perhaps those are recent?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
aalf, I just love a good huntin' story. Geno
PS, do they still make those pistols in this litigious society? Orange muzzles so perhaps those are recent?

I had no idea either till a google found them on Amazon, where I snagged the pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lemme know if y'all have a good trapping setup for red squirrels. My last dog would tree them and I would shoot them and that kept their numbers in check, but she's been gone for 2+ years and I'm now overrun with them. Between myself and my son we've killed 14 since Christmas eve. 13 of them from my daughter's bedroom window with a 22LR loaded with Con's (thanks to a very generous campfire member who sent me some a couple years ago), and 1 with a rat trap.

They seem to catch on to traps very quickly. After the first one got caught in a rat trap I had strategically placed near the hole they used to vet into my reloading barn, I haven't been able to catch another. I even bought some 110 sized body-grip traps, but no love. I've had it with the little bastards and have replaced the 22 and the need for precise shots with a 20 gauge and birdshot.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Lemme know if y'all have a good trapping setup for red squirrels. My last dog would tree them and I would shoot them and that kept their numbers in check, but she's been gone for 2+ years and I'm now overrun with them. Between myself and my son we've killed 14 since Christmas eve. 13 of them from my daughter's bedroom window with a 22LR loaded with Con's (thanks to a very generous campfire member who sent me some a couple years ago), and 1 with a rat trap.

They seem to catch on to traps very quickly. After the first one got caught in a rat trap I had strategically placed near the hole they used to vet into my reloading barn, I haven't been able to catch another. I even bought some 110 sized body-grip traps, but no love. I've had it with the little bastards and have replaced the 22 and the need for precise shots with a 20 gauge and birdshot.

Darn. Free great meat. Better than $170/lb spanish pig.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/22/why-eat-squirrel-really.html

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My buddy put a 5 gal buck with water out on his place in NM. Had a 2x4 leading up to it. Killed 43 chipmunks in 2 days- they were thirsty buggers.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, did your backup have two 45s? smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Probably his Verny Caron double in .450 NE. Ruark disciple. Use enough gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.