Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Both cougars and wolves have recently been spotted in the woods I'll be turkey hunting in this year. And last year I found fresh bear tracks right below the cabin. All this in central Wisconsin, just North of the Dells. I've read accounts of critters, other than turkeys, responding to turkey calling, maybe I'll get some first hand experience this spring. Brings a new level of awareness to me. In past years the only thing that concerned me, while turkey hunting, was the bull out in the pasture. A beef bull, not a dairy bull, few things meaner than a dairy bull! I moose hunt up in very remote Canada where wolves and bear are a constant, just wasn't expecting this in central Wisconsin. Anyone have a close encounter in the turkey woods, other than with a turkey?

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of coyote encounters. A few fox and bobcats have responded to my turkey calls over the years also. Crows like to swing by for a visit. I bump wild hogs occasionally while covering ground trying to strike a gobbler or get ahead of one to set up. We also have bear and mountain lions but as far as I know I've not attracted one to my yelping. Usually the squirrels, deer and the occasional elk ignore me unless the deer get downwind. That's an aggravation to have a deer snorting and blowing at you while trying to call a gobbler.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
no unusual encounters yet, but the cougars make you think twice. hopefully the decoy will get bit first.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have called in coons, bobcats, hawks, other hunters, and even a few gobblers. A friend on the same Texas lease thought he had called in a cougar, but it turned out the cat was after two nearby deer that the hunter had not seen. The cat was out of shotgun range and his only sidearm was an auto pistol- also out of range.
From then on, he always carried a big bore revolver with him.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, my biggest critter worry would be to get bitten by a copperhead or rattlesnake miles from the truck in the steep rough country I hunt. I hunt big blocks of secluded public ground that is steep, rocky timbered country with very spotty or no cell service. Get hit by a big rattlesnake way back in the timber miles from the truck with no cell service and it'd be a bad time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've not had any encounters with coyotes, but my brother-in-law and a friend have had bobcats come in.

I'm like MOGC, I hunt remote, steep, rocky, timbered country with cell service only on ridges. Rattlesnakes are my biggest concern.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Yotes, bobcats. Cougar,s are in the area also. Been many sightings of em.

I will kill the fugg outta of yote if giving the chance. And the official policy for cougar is only if you are attacked
I was attacked and that's my story on what happened if it comes to it

Carry some 3 inch 4buck if time allows me to slip in a shell
If not 5 rds of Long beard should do the trick at close range hopefully.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Both cougars and wolves have recently been spotted in the woods I'll be turkey hunting in this year. And last year I found fresh bear tracks right below the cabin. All this in central Wisconsin, just North of the Dells. I've read accounts of critters, other than turkeys, responding to turkey calling, maybe I'll get some first hand experience this spring. Brings a new level of awareness to me. In past years the only thing that concerned me, while turkey hunting, was the bull out in the pasture. A beef bull, not a dairy bull, few things meaner than a dairy bull! I moose hunt up in very remote Canada where wolves and bear are a constant, just wasn't expecting this in central Wisconsin. Anyone have a close encounter in the turkey woods, other than with a turkey?

Friggin cattle come to calling and dekes like groids for obama phone roadside giveaways.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've dropped the firing pin on several coyotes while trying to call to a Tom. I can guarantee you they have had better days.

The worse unexpected experience I ever had was with a huge timber rattler. Early season, I was trying to get up the side of a ridge as quickly as I could. About 3/4 of the way up the mountain I reached an old strip mine high wall ledge. My heart was pounding like it was going to come out of my chest.
I just happened to look down and there he layed beside a big flat rock about three foot from me, all coiled up and covered in mud. It was almost a 5 footer.
If it had of tagged me I would have never made it back to my jeep. That thought never leaves me to this day when I'm in snake country doing anything. I'll take the coyotes any day!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Friggin cattle come to calling and dekes like groids for obama phone roadside giveaways.

I've had dairy cows come to a grunt tube so fast I thought they were gonna bust their udders. Every single one in the pasture, it looked like a stampede.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Fuggers won't leave either.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, lots of coyotes and bobcats.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On three different occasions a coyote has come into a turkey call. Twice it happened so fast I never got a shot off. This one came in between the decoys and the blind at first light. I put a load of #5 shot Winchester Supreme into him. He took off in a Ki-Yi dash back into the brush and another coyote came streaking across the opening but never got a shot off.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A neighbor 2 1/2 miles up the road from my cabin sent me this trail cam picture.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wayne, you, uhhhhhh, might wanna setup against some good-sized trees when calling coyotes. shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Wayne, you, uhhhhhh, might wanna setup against some good-sized trees when calling coyotes. shocked

Yikes!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I turkey hunt in pineland and swampland in eastern NC, we have water moccasins, copperheads, rattlesnakes, coyote, feral hogs, feral dogs, and bobcat, and black bear - throw in ticks, chiggers, fire ants, and poison ivy. I've seen or come close to all of them while out turkey hunting. Just gotta stay aware of where you step and what's around you.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You mentioned ticks, tick borne diseases are no joking matter. I spray with permanone and don't have issues. If I were out of tick spray I'd be late getting into the woods because I'd have to wait until a store opened up and I could buy some. Lyme Disease is a bitch...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
A neighbor 2 1/2 miles up the road from my cabin sent me this trail cam picture.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't worry too much about getting attacked by a bobcat while turkey hunting. I've had them show up a couple times here, but they quickly lost interest when I quit calling and they didn't see any turkeys moving around.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I've dropped the firing pin on several coyotes while trying to call to a Tom. I can guarantee you they have had better days.

The worse unexpected experience I ever had was with a huge timber rattler. Early season, I was trying to get up the side of a ridge as quickly as I could. About 3/4 of the way up the mountain I reached an old strip mine high wall ledge. My heart was pounding like it was going to come out of my chest.
I just happened to look down and there he layed beside a big flat rock about three foot from me, all coiled up and covered in mud. It was almost a 5 footer.
If it had of tagged me I would have never made it back to my jeep. That thought never leaves me to this day when I'm in snake country doing anything. I'll take the coyotes any day!

Rattler bites are rarely fatal to humans, unless you gave an allergic reaction to the venom(like a bee sting). Yeah, they're painful, and they can have lasting detrimental effects, but very rarely is that effect death, rsecially if it's an adult that us bitten and injected with venom.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.