-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's making a satirical joke. The illustration is that in RSA they hear fake news about America, and vice versa....

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good friend of mine from SA told me years ago

You folks are killing more folks in LA county in a week that are killed in our whole country in a month. Kind of changed my way of thinking about how their news is reported here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

You folks are killing more folks in LA county in a week that are killed in our whole country in a month. Kind of changed my way of thinking about how their news is reported here.

You may want to change the way you look at things again.

LA county 2017 murders were just under 300 (The peak was in the 90s at a little over 1000 per year)
South Africa April 2016 through March 2017 murders were over 19,000

South Africa Murders

LA County Murders

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
He's making a satirical joke. The illustration is that in RSA they hear fake news about America, and vice versa....

Exactly.DON"T TRUST THE MEDIA.

Originally Posted by Bugger
When I worked in Australia in 1990, my boss was from South Africa. He said it wasn't safe at that time in South Africa. Everyone, mothers taking their kids to school, parents going to PTA, etc. all carried handguns. I can't imagine what it is like now.

Tell your boss, I say he's a moron. Not safe in 1990?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I'm with Marius on this one. South Africa in 1990 was Apartheid era South Africa. As long as you were not in the black townships, there was very low crime. I felt very safe traveling there during that period. True corruption at the lower levels was almost unheard of. There were of course abuses on both sides when it came to ANC vs. the government, but that is a different matter.

However, and I can't say if Marius can remember this, there was a growing agitation from the ANC with the desire to affect destabilization of the government through social unrest. Many whites in South Africa at the time were prepared for a civil war. All abled bodied men had to serve at 18, and then were part of the militia. All the adult men I knew had their army issued R1 or R4 locked away, but were prepared to use it when the SHTF.

Maybe the guy in OZ was in an area of ANC turmoil. I can tell you that there was very little trouble I recorded in the Eastern and Western Cape or OFS back then. Have no idea about life in the Transvaal or Northern Transvaal then. (Or whatever they call it now. WTF is Gauteng????)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike70560

LA county 2017 murders were just under 300 (The peak was in the 90s at a little over 1000 per year)

South Africa Murders

LA County Murders

Just be sure to compare apples with apples. In RSA, out of 60 Million people, 50 Million are black African. They deal with crime the African way, so majority of those numbers are black on black within their communities. You can never compare Africa to the USA. We still have tribes for crying out loud, and if someone steps out of line, they will take care of him themselves in manners that you do not want to imagine. ( See "Necklacing") When I say within their communities, I don't mean the hood like in the USA, with gangsters walking around with iPhones, and their jeans around their knees either. I'm talking about tribes that still live in mud huts.
That is the reality when you are vastly in the minority, especially in Africa. Stats will always look skewed.

Guys, please understand one thing. Many might say I'm simply saying this because I have business interest here. I could pack up my stuff tomorrow. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering while my wife has an MBA. My wife and I have no children, so nothing is keeping us here. If it was as bad as the media makes it out to be, I would be out of here.
Africa will always have its problems, but let Africa sort itself out. I'm not for one second saying South Africa does not have it's own problems. We do have farm attacks. We do have racial tension.
(Nothing new.) We do have crime. It is not stopping me from living. My wife and I still go for walks in the evenings.
Don't paint the entire South Africa with the same brush. I'm still fine here.

If any one has any specific questions, regarding South Africa, your safety concerns, maybe you have a trip coming up, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe the guy in OZ was in an area of ANC turmoil. I can tell you that there was very little trouble I recorded in the Eastern and Western Cape or OFS back then. Have no idea about life in the Transvaal or Northern Transvaal then. (Or whatever they call it now. WTF is Gauteng????)

Nothing much has changed. Those areas are also least affected still today. Also something to keep in mind is that we have 9 different tribes within South Africa. You can never compare the Xhosa people we have down here in the Eastern Cape, to say the Venda people in the furthest North of Limpopo. I could immediately feel the difference in attitude between them and me, being a white man in their territory. Not an area that I want to be in.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

When I worked in Australia in 1990, my boss was from South Africa. He said it wasn't safe at that time in South Africa. Everyone, mothers taking their kids to school, parents going to PTA, etc. all carried handguns. I can't imagine what it is like now.

Nothing much has changed. Those areas are also least affected still today. Also something to keep in mind is that we have 9 different tribes within South Africa. You can never compare the Xhosa people we have down here in the Eastern Cape, to say the Venda people in the furthest North of Limpopo. I could immediately feel the difference in attitude between them and me, being a white man in their territory.Not an area that I want to be in.

So...which is it?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Nothing much has changed. Those areas are also least affected still today. Also something to keep in mind is that we have 9 different tribes within South Africa. You can never compare the Xhosa people we have down here in the Eastern Cape, to say the Venda people in the furthest North of Limpopo. I could immediately feel the difference in attitude between them and me, being a white man in their territory.Not an area that I want to be in.

So...which is it?

I presume that you are trying to show me up as contradicting myself. Please read further up where I say, don't paint the entire South Africa with the same brush. Is it fair to say that I can compare downtown Detroit to your neighbourhood? Every country in the world has dangerous areas. Where I am as far down South as you can go before hitting the Indian ocean, it is much safer.

When I said, "Not much has changed" it was in terms of the areas mentioned, being much safer than other areas in South Africa.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

So...which is it?

By the way, that area where I went to is called Louis Trichardt, which is not ANC territory. That belongs to the EFF, which is probably equivalent to your Black Panthers if not more radical. Would it be fair to compare the entire USA 's safety rating based on areas which belonged to Black Panther?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm done here chaps. It's the reason why I did not want to get involved in the first place. People ask questions, I give answers, then get called out.
Will go and calm myself and go for a walk with my bow.
Do and believe as you wish.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm done here chaps. It's the reason why I did not want to get involved in the first place. People ask questions, I give answers, then get called out.

Sorry, you have misunderstood my intent, I was looking for clarification only as there seems to be a contradiction in your two statements.

I personally know very little about South Africa and the conditions there.

p.s. I am Australian.

Last edited by JSTUART; 02/28/18.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

South Africa Murders

LA County Murders

Just be sure to compare apples with apples. In RSA, out of 60 Million people, 50 Million are black African. They deal with crime the African way, so majority of those numbers are black on black within their communities. You can never compare Africa to the USA. We still have tribes for crying out loud, and if someone steps out of line, they will take care of him themselves in manners that you do not want to imagine. ( See "Necklacing") When I say within their communities, I don't mean the hood like in the USA, with gangsters walking around with iPhones, and their jeans around their knees either. I'm talking about tribes that still live in mud huts.
That is the reality when you are vastly in the minority, especially in Africa. Stats will always look skewed.

Guys, please understand one thing. Many might say I'm simply saying this because I have business interest here. I could pack up my stuff tomorrow. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering while my wife has an MBA. My wife and I have no children, so nothing is keeping us here. If it was as bad as the media makes it out to be, I would be out of here.
Africa will always have its problems, but let Africa sort itself out. I'm not for one second saying South Africa does not have it's own problems. We do have farm attacks. We do have racial tension.
(Nothing new.) We do have crime. It is not stopping me from living. My wife and I still go for walks in the evenings.

If any one has any specific questions, regarding South Africa, your safety concerns, maybe you have a trip coming up, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Marius,

I understand your frustration and hope you enjoy your walk with your bow.

How many times do we read how dangerous Zimbabwe is. Having traveled all over Zim and having spent a fair amount of non hunting time there I have never felt unsafe. A friend from high school that has lived there for over 30 years and sorry for us in the States. Most people will never believe that, they only see the bad side. It is like judging crime in Louisiana by looking at New Orleans.

But it is also extremely inaccurate to say they are twice as many murders in LA county than the whole of South Africa. But hey, we have tribal warfare also. Now it is more Mexican gangs but at one time it was the Crypts and Bloods killing each other. Even locally we have a number of shootings in public where nobody saw anything and the next day there is a retaliatory shooting and again nobody saw anything.

Good luck on your upcoming season. Hope you are getting rain where it is most needed.

Last edited by Mike70560; 02/28/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Marius,

I think your insight is vey important. For those who have travelled to South Africa little or never, it's a difficult place to understand, as I'm sure the USA is outsiders. We need reports from "Boots on the ground" to really understand the conditions being reported.

I'm fortunate in that over the past 30 years I've visited your country often and fell in love with it. I've made lifelong friends, and have gotten to know their friends and families and through them I get some info, but not the whole picture. Other guys don't have that luxury. I still want to learn more, and hope you will continue to freely share it. Don't be afraid to defend your country, just like don't be afraid to point out the warts. It benefits us all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sorry, you have misunderstood my intent, I was looking for clarification only as there seems to be a contradiction in your two statements.

p.s. I am Australian.

I apologise for misunderstanding sir.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

South Africa Murders

LA County Murders

Marius,

I understand your frustration and hope you enjoy your walk with your bow.

How many times do we read how dangerous Zimbabwe is. Having traveled all over Zim and having spent a fair amount of non hunting time there I have never felt unsafe. A friend from high school that has lived there for over 30 years and sorry for us in the States. Most people will never believe that, they only see the bad side. It is like judging crime in Louisiana by looking at New Orleans.

But it is also extremely inaccurate to say they are twice as many murders in LA county than the whole of South Africa. But hey, we have tribal warfare also. Now it is more Mexican gangs but at one time it was the Crypts and Bloods killing each other. Even locally we have a number of shootings in public where nobody saw anything and the next day there is a retaliatory shooting and again nobody saw anything.

Good luck on your upcoming season. Hope you are getting rain where it is most needed.

Missed a bruiser of a Duiker. They are chasing females at the moment, so don't stand still for very long. Now I'm worse off than before I left, just thinking about that damn Duiker.

Mike, I agree with you 100%. Zimbabwe is by far my favourite country, and it is the place where I feel the safest as well. I took my wife there for our anniversary 5 years ago, so that should say enough of what i think of the so called safety warnings.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Marius,

I think your insight is vey important. For those who have travelled to South Africa little or never, it's a difficult place to understand, as I'm sure the USA is outsiders. We need reports from "Boots on the ground" to really understand the conditions being reported.

I'm fortunate in that over the past 30 years I've visited your country often and fell in love with it. I've made lifelong friends, and have gotten to know their friends and families and through them I get some info, but not the whole picture. Other guys don't have that luxury. I still want to learn more, and hope you will continue to freely share it. Don't be afraid to defend your country, just like don't be afraid to point out the warts. It benefits us all.

Thank you sir. I appreciate your words immensely.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

p.s. I am Australian.

I apologise for misunderstanding sir.

Admirably done, but truth be told it is more likely to be my delivery of the question.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I thought there were 22 tribes in Africa, counting the two white ones.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.