Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I was pretty close to putting ridge grapplers on my truck, ended up with BFGs instead. In the end the BFGs won because of price and I've had good luck with them in the past. If I wasn't putting 18k miles/year on my truck I might have opted for the Nittos, but to spend $1500 on tires and have them be shot after 2 years would piss me off.

Plan to be unimpressed with the bfg’s. These ko2’s aren’t much better than the Goodyear Wrangler SRA’s it came with.h

This is my second set of KO2s and fourth set of BFGs. I’ve been happy with every set thus far. For some reason it seems like you either have great luck with them or crap, maybe I’ve just been lucky.

GB2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was pretty close to putting ridge grapplers on my truck, ended up with BFGs instead. In the end the BFGs won because of price and I've had good luck with them in the past. If I wasn't putting 18k miles/year on my truck I might have opted for the Nittos, but to spend $1500 on tires and have them be shot after 2 years would piss me off.

Plan to be unimpressed with the bfg’s. These ko2’s aren’t much better than the Goodyear Wrangler SRA’s it came with.h

This is my second set of KO2s and fourth set of BFGs. I’ve been happy with every set thus far. For some reason it seems like you either have great luck with them or crap, maybe I’ve just been lucky.

I've probably have 4 sets of the all-terrain KO's, 1 set of BFG Mud terrains, and now this disaster. I'm not impressed at all with the tire. It lasts just fine. Have probably 60-65K miles on them and can easily get 10K more. It's the traction that sucks. The 2's are supposed to have been improved in all areas.

There is a lot more competition now days, for a lot less money.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad has had great success with the original KO's, but they changed the rubber compound with the KO 2 and really shortened their life. Tzone is correct; traction sucks.

I made one attempt at liking the KO2's, two out of four tires would not balance, returned them for two more and they half-assed balanced there was one that continually caused a vibration/shimmy and it took a LOT of weight just to get them to that point. I wanted to like them, but a lesson was learned.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I REALLY hate to use Goodyears. But I've heard not one complaint about the GY Wrangler Duratrac's. Not one! That will be on the short list for fall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on our Jeep and love them, even in the snow and one icy streets. I’ll probably put a set of Duratracs on my truck when the time comes. Have had good luck with them on trucks, not so much on the Jeep. Found the sidewalls to weak to run at the lower pressures and found them squirmy on the road.

Rob
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I REALLY hate to use Goodyears. But I've heard not one complaint about the GY Wrangler Duratrac's. Not one! That will be on the short list for fall.

Check out the tires in person. The sidewalls are really flexible and soft. Known to be puncture prone. And not very tough for stone drilling.

Traction, however, seems to be outstanding especially in snow and ice. If you don't have sharp rock and are careful with the sidewalls they seem like a decent tire. Here in the PNWet the volcanic rock is too sharp for them in my opinion.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well my hatred for the GY’s is from rocks. I had 3 flats in one day on a job site. Incase you’re counting, that’s more tires than I had spares!! mad mad

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had 10-ply Duratracs on an F-150 and loved them. Put a set of 10-ply on my 1st F-250 and couldn't get them off quickly enough. They were WAY squirrley with 0 load, just the truck, towing nothing, with nothing of note in the bed.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my hatred for the GY’s is from rocks. I had 3 flats in one day on a job site. Incase you’re counting, that’s more tires than I had spares!! mad mad

I had 3 flats with Goodyear Wranglers near Starkey, OR. Holes in between the tread lugs. I dang near depleted my supply of plugs, needing several in each hole! Luckily the gas station in Ukiah had a megapack of plugs tired

Buddy has the Duratracs and had a stone puncture the tread near Enterprise, OR. He was on beautiful groomed gravel. His excuse is that the stone was shaped like an arrowhead. I say BS. His rig is light and he drives slow. It was a 10-ply rated Duratrac too.

Ran the same roads with Toyo Open Country tires and never got a flat. Have since been using Toyo M-55 & R/T, and now the Nitto EXO. The M-55 is still really popular out there with the ranchers, loggers, etc. just for the puncture resistance but so far I'm liking the EXO more.

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/18/18.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by horse1
I had 10-ply Duratracs on an F-150 and loved them. Put a set of 10-ply on my 1st F-250 and couldn't get them off quickly enough. They were WAY squirrley with 0 load, just the truck, towing nothing, with nothing of note in the bed.

I had that issue with a set of Flaken AT's on my 06 Tundra. That truck did NOT like those tires! lol. I brought them back the same day and had them switched out to some Yokohama Geolander's. Which is a great tire btw...

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

It’s funny how people can literally have exact opposite experiences. I haven’t heard a single good thing about Duratracs from anyone who’s put them on a full size truck. Jeep and SUV owners seem to like them, but the couple truck owners I’ve talked to echoed exactly what horse1 said about them being super squirrelly with no load on them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can’t say about Nittos but I got 35,000 miles on a set of Toyo Open Country AT II’s on my Ram 2500 and still had good tread. 3/4ton diesels are sure hard on most tires. I’ve had amazing luck with Toyos on the last 3-4 trucks I’ve owned, no complaints whatsoever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Can’t say about Nittos but I got 35,000 miles on a set of Toyo Open Country AT’s on my Ram 2500 and still had good tread. 3/4ton diesels are sure hard on most tires. I’ve had amazing luck with Toyos on the last 3-4 trucks I’ve owned, no complaints whatsoever.

I’ve been looking at the AT II Extreme for my F150 when the time comes. Is that what u r running?

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine on my F150 aren’t the extremes I don’t think they make them in the 275/70/18 , that’s the size I have ran on multiple trucks, including my previous diesel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Mine on my F150 aren’t the extremes I don’t think they make them in the 275/70/18 , that’s the size I have ran on multiple trucks, including my previous diesel.

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them? Good all round?

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My F150 only has 14,500 miles on em and they look great.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers on my 2001 Cummins, 315/70r16 if memory serves me correctly. They wore like iron, at least for such an aggressive tire. They were mild mannered on the street, and were the bee's knees off road and in the snow. Nitto makes a fantastic tire, so I would say that you probably couldn't go wrong with either the Terra- or the Ridge-Grappler, depending upon which application would better suit your needs. If I got over 20k out of the Mud Grapplers, I can't imagine the Trail-Grappler not making it to 30k, and probably quite a bit further on the Terra's.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
S
S
Nitto hit a home run with the ridge grappler. I look after a fleet of pickups and have bought pretty much every truck tire made. The ridge grappler is my current favorite. I roll 35s on my personal truck for hauling my bigfoot camper around.

Adventure Oriented!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

It’s funny how people can literally have exact opposite experiences. I haven’t heard a single good thing about Duratracs from anyone who’s put them on a full size truck. Jeep and SUV owners seem to like them, but the couple truck owners I’ve talked to echoed exactly what horse1 said about them being super squirrelly with no load on them.

A big +1 to horse1's comment. I had a set of duratracs on my 04 cummins for about a week - they were sloppy from the moment I pulled out of the tire shop, but they assured me that they would "break in". They did not, and were a nightmare when towing. It is the tire that made me hate goodyear.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.