Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi - is there any difference that really matters in a new model Kimber Montana or a 2016 model or prior? Looking at gunbroker there’s seems to be a higher price for 2016 models. And 2016 models are called as so. I’m curious as to why as I’m in the market for one. What would be the difference? All I could really see is maybe a threaded barrel??
Thanks
Brian

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the threaded barrel came in 2017, and the green stock color in 2018.

Not aware of any other differences.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I think the threaded barrel came in 2017, and the green stock color in 2018.

Not aware of any other differences.

Many of the 2016s are pictured with threaded barrels. Which is why I decided to go with a Classic Select instead. I have no use for a threaded barrel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
why did they thread the barrels ? seems like a saddle on a dairy cow to me .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigHills
Hi - is there any difference that really matters in a new model Kimber Montana or a 2016 model or prior? Looking at gunbroker there’s seems to be a higher price for 2016 models. And 2016 models are called as so. I’m curious as to why as I’m in the market for one. What would be the difference? All I could really see is maybe a threaded barrel??
Thanks
Brian

In 2014 the plated trigger and aluminum trigger guard were added, replacing the all SS trigger and guard.
In 2016 the threaded barrel was added.

My three current MT's were made prior to 2014.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
“I have no use for a threaded barrel”

What does it matter if the gun has it or not?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
“I have no use for a threaded barrel”

What does it matter if the gun has it or not?

Because aesthetics matter more than function. wink

In all seriousness though, the only real drawback is it a minimal additional cost for end users that never plan to use the threaded barrel, well that and it doesn't look as purdy. wink

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree, a threaded barrel on a nice bolt action hunting rifle looks like chit!! ....I wouldnt have one.....Hb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In all seriousness though, the only real drawback is it a minimal additional cost for end users that never plan to use the threaded barrel, well that and it doesn't look as purdy.

The threaded muzzle on the Montana added $50 to the cost of the rifle which is very reasonable considering that it would cost a lot more than that to have threads added after the fact. The 7/16-28 threads allow the use of the standard Kimber muzzle brakes that ship with the Mountain Ascent rifles and blend nicely into the barrel profile. The threads also give the impression that a suppressor can be screwed on regardless of whether or not that's a good idea. Personally I don't like the threaded muzzle due to the limited amount of material in the barrel and the potential effect on accuracy/precision, particularly as the bore approaches .30 cal. The 5/8-24 threads on the 300 Blackout Adirondack made more sense with a functional but ugly looking barrel profile.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Any negatives to changing some of the steel items over to aluminum? Obviously the aluminum saves some weight. But other than that, does it matter or is it another case of aesthetics?

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Any negatives to changing some of the steel items over to aluminum? Obviously the aluminum saves some weight. But other than that, does it matter or is it another case of aesthetics?

No negatives to change to a titanium bolt handle and aluminum trigger guard. The newer models have the aluminum trigger guard,and you should be able to get a skeltonized titanium bolt handle in the classifieds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I find the coated aluminum cheap looking... simple matter to bead blast it off however.

I find the MT’s light enough, and am not looking to lose weight on them. I wish they used a no.2 contour giving an extra 1/4 lb out front... one more reason I have no use for the “Ascent” model, Titanium Bolt Handles, or other NASCAR modifications smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just ordered a 2016 Montana. Not a fan of the thread but it's also not a deal breaker for me. I don't want to put a muzzle brake on it, my hearing has already declined plenty and I sure don't want to pay 200 to 500 extra to save 4 ounces which I don't want to lose anyway on that rifle. I'll be very happy if it shoots and functions well. I've been lugging a 300WM around for elk that weights north of 9.5lbs all up and it gets heavy at the end of the day.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Pre 2016 Montanas are drying up rather fast. The threaded barrel is their idea of what the market "wants". Local gunsmith charges $50 to make the threads disappear.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey the thread protector can be removed and you save about .037 ounces!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My earlier 270 Montana has had the recoil pad replaced with an ounce and a half Italian shotgun pad and balances beautifully. Just a hair over 6# empty with the 6x36 Leupold and LW Talley's. It appears, given today's shopping, that it will be going to Namibia this year.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I find the MT’s light enough, and am not looking to lose weight on them. I wish they used a no.2 contour giving an extra 1/4 lb out front... one more reason I have no use for the “Ascent” model, Titanium Bolt Handles, or other NASCAR modifications smile

+1!

Anyone know of something comparable at about 6 lbs bare?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teeder

Kevin, one that comes to mind is the Long Action Barrett Fieldcraft. I believe it has a no.2 contour (the SA version has a no.1).

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Teeder

Kevin, one that comes to mind is the Long Action Barrett Fieldcraft. I believe it has a no.2 contour (the SA version has a no.1).

I know my 700 mountain rifle has less contour than my Fieldcraft 7-08

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Long-Action Fieldcrafts all have a 24” #2 barrel and weigh 5.5 to 5.75 pounds depending on caliber. None of the Fieldcraft LAs have a threaded barrel option.

https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/#specifications

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.