Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My custom Sako build is meant to take a steel trigger guard of the 700 ADL style with some modification (the current stock recess is for a 1917 Enfield trigger guard bow that was cut from a 1917 Enfield trigger guard and radiused in front and it is a little narrower than the Remington). When I started this project, steel ADL guards weren't available.

Brownell's has both Remington factory and Brownell's trigger guards available. Any thoughts on which one looks nicer in terms of finish? The cost differential is no big deal to me. Thanks!

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a quality ADL trigger guard checkout the ones from BAT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definitely Brownells between those 2. The Rem T/G is pot metal. The Brownells is pricier, but sounds like it’s going on a classy rifle.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dave Kiff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Definitely Brownells between those 2. The Rem T/G is pot metal. The Brownells is pricier, but sounds like it’s going on a classy rifle.

Rem trigger guards have been produced in plastic, aluminum, and steel. Williams makes the steel units for Remington and they supply Brownells steel version.

Each has their place.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 805
If you want a quality ADL trigger guard checkout the ones from BAT.

BAT does make very nice ones...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bats are very nice. Aluminum and very light.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brownells is of considerable material. The Remington, not so much. There's a big difference in quality. Go Brownells but also expect to need longer receiver stock screws due to thickness of trigger guard.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by devnull
Brownells is of considerable material. The Remington, not so much. There's a big difference in quality. Go Brownells but also expect to need longer receiver stock screws due to thickness of trigger guard.

So you are saying all 700 OEM trigger guards are the same?

And you are saying they are pot metal?

And why would you need longer screws? Surely you are not suggesting the after-market guards are proud of the stock?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And why would you need longer screws? Surely you are not suggesting the after-market guards are proud of the stock?

I believe I'm the one that said they are pot metal. OP said steel, so I disregard the plastic ones on the SPS rifles. Or that’s what I’ve gotten plastic T/G’s on.

All of the steel factory T/G’s I’ve had have been very roughly cast and that's why I call them pot metal. That from Ti’s and KS’s, and more than a few examples of each. They certainly didn’t appear to be of the same quality as the milled BDL floorplates I’ve had that were made by Williams, but I could be wrong. And if I’m wrong, I apologize profusely. Lol.

I do like some others, but they are aluminum, and the OP didn’t ask about that just as he didn’t ask about plastic.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks; I ordered the Brownell one today. By the way, what company is BAT?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Not all Rem OEM trigger guards are the same. I've had them in plastic, aluminum and some type of cast metal. The longer screws were needed in my situation whereby I replaced a plastic guard with the Brownells milled guard which was oxide coated. The reason for the needed longer screws was the thicker material along with countersink cuts not being as deep on the Brownells model. All of this to say that you should expect to have some fitting corrections. Lastly, yes, I'm suggesting that after-market are proud of their stock. Why else would I buy over OEM? ;-) The Brownells guard was excellent and exactly what I was looking for.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I got a new steel one off Fleabay.
Dunno who made it (seller was maker reportedly).
Was painted..........didn't stick well either.
Fine w me...........I cleaned that off and Gunkoted it.
Fit perfect.

Whoever at Remington decided to put plastic ones on the ADL.............needs their nuts cut off.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/22/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.