Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm mid forties in age and want to start BPCR. The big thing is "how" and "where" to learn the black powder curve. I want to use BPCR to become highly proficient with these old single shot rifles and learn techniques.

Now I've got many of the reloading books, the SPG guide, and a Lyman manuals. I've also got an C. Sharps 1874 45-70 and a Navy Arms 50-70 Rolling Block. I've even got bullet moulds for my rifles. I just want to learn and getnin with folks who can fast track me on what it takes to get these rifles and myself up to snuff.

I'm in N. Idaho but am not aware of any events or folks in the area.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BPCR

Mica shooting range in Spokane.
Missoula 3rd weekend of the month (April - September)

Several guys from ID and WA regularly shoot these matches

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shiloh website and forums can be quite informative as well. That's a real where I don't think anyone makes claims at perfection. Good luck.

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Go to these places. They are filled with guys who have been in your shoes. Some still are, some come close to walking on water when it comes to BPCR;

http://historicshooting.com/mybb/index.php

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Black-Powder-Cartridge

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
About a decade ago I lived in Big Timber a few blocks away from where they made Shiloh and C. Sharps. I bought rifles from both but never got around to using because I was always working. Here in N. Idaho I just don't see the interest in these type of rifles or matches.

I wish that I spent more time learning the game when I was nearer to the source of these rifles.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can learn on your own. Most probably have, including me. Back when I started with BPCR the SPG manual didn't exist and we figured it out. I think if you follow Steve and Mike's recommendations you'll do fine.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Contact the folks at BuffaloArms.com in Ponderay Idaho. They are all about that stuff and are active participants in BPCR.

I too would like to do what you are about to embark upon, but its a couple of years down the road. Always working.
Lou M

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Indeed working gets in the way. But now I realize I own a few historic type rifles and it's time I start putting things to use and enjoying them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is an excellent classic primer on BPCR shooting. I haven't reviewed it in some time, so it might not entirely reflect current practices and available products, but the essentials of BPCR have stood the test of time. http://www.stewartdawge.com/Introduction%20to%20BPCR%20Loading.htm

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As Lou M said, Buffalo Arms would be a good resource not too far from you - they're one of the better sources of BPCR loading supplies and the folks there are knowledgeable. I went down this road myself a number of years ago and found the Shiloh forums to be invaluable in working through the learrning curve. Mike Venturino has a good book out that covers the basics, and Paul Matthews (now deceased) published a few books on loading and casting bullets for BPCR that are certainly worth a look.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I certainly feel your pain and can share this. Unless you are geographically very lucky then to shoot and compete in BPCR you need to be ready to log some miles. Benchrest matches are kind of the same. In fact it's no coincidence that you will see lots of motor homes at the bigger matches. But you really need to attend the matches if you want to learn at a personal no BS level. Almost all of the competitors will go out of their way to help you out on everything from techique, reading the wind, equipment and loading you name it. I'm serious, you will learn more in a day or two at a well attended match than a stack of books. Don't ask me how I know

Good luck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody ever hear of 5F or 7F powder? A bud of mine makes it in bulk,

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have purchased some 7f from a guy in Arkansas called Gator Powder from Florida. Like firecracker powder. I mix with 4F for my flint pans. I found if I use straight 7F and it is damp outside, it sure absorbs more moisture or it seems to, caking up around the edge of my lock pan. Great stuff. One lb. will last a long time.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, you got all of the stuff but have yet to dive into it?

What mould do you have?
Any experience casting?
Bullet size die? You ever done any pan lubing?
What brand and granulation of powder you have on hand?

You want some help, tell us what cards you're holding.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guess he don't like to play poker???

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dan the Man , lotta people are in love with their own talk and don't really want he answers just want to ask the question. Sheeit half of Florida is that way what am I telling you?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya, know what you're saying.

Here's a question for you old school shooters.

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, what's the price of chicken?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was back in '76 the first time that question was put to me. Fella that asked had just separated from the USAF after about 5 years as a B-52 tail gunner. Imagine the effect on your life, watching the world go backwards for 5 years, sitting there in your little cubbyhole all alone.

[Linked Image]

In 1972, B-52 tail-gunner Albert Moore shot down a MiG-21 over Vietnam. It was the last recorded bomber-gunner to shoot down an enemy aircraft.

DD

PS: If you're still interested in the price of chicken, check the sale flyer in the Sunday paper.

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I enjoy the ASSRA forum. Tons of good information. Also, Mike Vinturino's book of shooting the buffalo rifles is very good. I have found locally owners of BP rifles who have zero interest in match shooting. Buffalo Arms is a good source for basic supplies. It is pleasant to do business with them.

Last edited by Roundball1; 11/25/18.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry I didn't respond more promptly. Have been pretty busy working away from home and taking care of an parent with Parkinson's and other health issues but those have been somewhat fixed for now, thankfully.

Ok. I've got a Navy Arms 50 cal rolling block. It came with a set of RCBS dies, McGowen case forming die from 348 win to 50-70. There's an card punch tool, bunch of 50-70 cases. I also have a Lyman mould 515141 that I think throws a 450gr lead bullet which is shaped like the old original bullets, or looks that way.

I've got around 200 sized and lubed 50 cal bullets that came with my rifle set up but I don't see a bullet sizer die in my equipment.

Im planning on attending the closest event I can find and hopefully that will speed me up.

When I used to live in Montana I used to know an older gentleman by the name of Ed Webber. I wish I would have picked his brain more about this single shot rifle endeavor while I was in that neighborhood .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.