Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I might be interested in the near future in a longer range rifle that is still fairly light weight. That Seekins Havak at $2200 looks fairly intriguing at just 7 lbs. I don't really have enough experience to spec out a custom build and something under $2500 would also be nice.

What do you guys think about the Havak? Is there anything on the market right now similar to the Havak in weight and price that just stands out as something you would prefer?

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You don't really need much experience to build a custom just copy one that you like, but the Havak would work also and be a little less expensive!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d not hesitate to give a Havak a whirl...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Havak specs look good and Glen’s wares are known to be of quality, if I was in the market for that type of rifle it would warrant a serious look.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Check around you can find new prices on the Havak for $1875. I plan on getting one soon.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You really can't build one cheaper. If it's in a caliber you want I'd try it.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Seekins is a great rifle and there isn't much out there that will beat it from a value vs. custom standpoint.

I'll throw a vote out for three Fierce Fury or Fury LR. The first group out of mine with factory ELD-X was under 1/2". Very well made across all components.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I really like the Havak too.

Here's another worth a look for about $500 less:

Christensen Long Range - to a mile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I really like the Havak too.

Here's another worth a look for about $500 less:

Christensen Long Range - to a mile

I was looking at that one before I saw the Havak. One thing that interested me about the Havak was it's light weight. It's listed at 7 lbs which is 2 lbs less than that Mesa. Might or might not be a good thing though. I would like to hear some more reviews of the Havak before I decide. I suppose it's pretty new right now.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep. I would definitely like the 2lbs weight savings.

Covers a heavy scope and mounts.

What caliber are you thinking?

Last edited by WhelenAway; 02/28/18.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Yep. I would definitely like the 2lbs weight savings.

Covers a heavy scope and mounts.

What caliber are you thinking?

The 6.5 PRC has me interested. It will be a few months though before the gun fund is built back up.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like where your head's at. The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to have altered some thinking on how effective a smaller bullet can be on large game. The extra velocity of the PRC should make it an even better hunting round in lightweight platforms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your thinking is similar to mine but I went all the way to 6.5 WSM to get a little more velocity and energy. 140’s in the 3200 fps realm is quite an impressive long range round to me and the PRC isn’t far behind. No flies on the creedmore as it’s a great round for sure but for the slightly increased recoil I will take a bit more speed.

Mine is a bit chunky weight a tad over 9# but over 2 lbs of that is the Kahles K624i on top. With the break on the barrel I am quite sure the recoil is about like my old light weight 243 was.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I recently picked up a Christensen Ridgeline in 26 Nosler from Cabelas and it may be something to look at. The short actions weigh 6.3 lbs and the long action are 6.8 lbs. They also had the seekins Havak there and it was a nice rifle but they only had it in 308 which I wasn't nterested in. Here is a link to the ridgeline.

https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I recently picked up a Christensen Ridgeline in 26 Nosler from Cabelas and it may be something to look at. The short actions weigh 6.3 lbs and the long action are 6.8 lbs. They also had the seekins Havak there and it was a nice rifle but they only had it in 308 which I wasn't nterested in. Here is a link to the ridgeline.

How is the accuracy and your overall impression of the Ridgeline? It was one of the rifles I had considered but I was also turned off by some reports of bad attitude with CS that a dealer friend of mine told me about. Not saying it would be a deal breaker but just something I considered.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

How is the accuracy and your overall impression of the Ridgeline? It was one of the rifles I had considered but I was also turned off by some reports of bad attitude with CS that a dealer friend of mine told me about. Not saying it would be a deal breaker but just something I considered.

I got it 2 weeks ago and haven't shot it yet so I can't comment on accuracy at this time. What drew me to the rifle,was the size / weight ratio, Sendero size with sporter weight. I have a vortex razor amg coming for it this week and hope to get it to the range by the end of the month.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I got it 2 weeks ago and haven't shot it yet so I can't comment on accuracy at this time. What drew me to the rifle,was the size / weight ratio, Sendero size with sporter weight. I have a vortex razor amg coming for it this week and hope to get it to the range by the end of the month.

Good luck with it. I would love to hear your range report when you get a chance.

What do you think about the grip area. It seemed a lot thicker than what I am accustomed to. Maybe not a bad thing,just different than what I have ever used before.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A little heavier, but still a nice package.

http://bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_approach_rifle.php

A handled one at a show and was impressed. They’ll start shipping this month.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
At that price range, I would build one. Start a thread "spec out my custom" and lots of guys will show off their wares and you'll find one you love.

But, going semi-custom and buying one off the rack is easier and quicker and probably will shoot very well.

Hope whichever route you choose goes well for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.