Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just curious. What is a nice / unaltered 6.5 x54 1908 ( 1903?) full stock carbine/ full stock Mannlicher fetching these days?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it's in unfired condition it will bring about $3000-$3400
In "very good" it will bring about $1800, assuming a shiny bore.
Good with some "frost" in the bore, probably about $1000.
Average condition with rough bore $500-600.
50% wood finish with obvious rust and bad bore, about $300.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Add about 20-25% around here.

They were very expensive when new (at least by the time they made it to America), and remain so today.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/21/18.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw an MS in 257 Roberts a couple of years ago at a gun show, man that was a beautiful rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For around here gnoahh's figure is more accurate.

My 1903 will feed with 140 gr. spritzers if only one or two are loaded in the magazine. More than that and the nose rolls out of the front of the mag. 160 gr. RN's are seemingly fail proof and that's fine with me. I much prefer the longer, heavier bullet. My 1908 feeds 200 gr. cast bullets slick as a whistle from a full mag. The same cannot be said of some of my Mausers and cast bullets. The cartridge from the right side of the stagger in the box mag. always feeds fine but not the left....and I haven't looked into rectifying the condition.

Regarding those old German scopes....they must be pretty good because a fella sure sees a lot of them still in use and clear as a bell. They certainly look better mounted on an old Mannlicher or Mauser than a new scope.

Last edited by sharps4590; 02/22/18.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I want one!

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Fine examples gentlemen!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a closeup. The wood is immaculate. Incredible for a sixty year old rifle. I lucked out.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Nice, Jorge....what caliber?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read, but don't know personally, that the magazine rotors are designed to fit factory ammo very closely, and often won't feed anything else.

If you have access to past issues of Rifle and Handloader, you can search the annual index of articles for the pieces on these by Wieland, and some guy named (if you can believe it) Barsness. Rifle 295 has an article about post-war models.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hook
Nice, Jorge....what caliber?

257 Roberts

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For the 6.5 1903 seat any bullet to 3.03" or a touch more and your single round will feed like butter.Doesn't matter what bullet.

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A friend is passing along some starter brass and loaner dies this weekend. I'll order a supply of such next week but I'll have something to play with until it arrives. Thanks for all the tips. I have a habit of sticking with the traditional route with the older rifles I obtain, so will likely use the batch of 160 RNs I have left over from playing with two different Swedes. There are 5 or 6 other 6.5mm bullets in my stash and I'll probably be tempted to play with some of them as well. I think it's gonna be fun....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess while we're sharing..this one came from Pappy after he passed so I don't know everything about it. The spitzer bullets in the third picture are accubonds that he had loaded up. I shot a few of them at first but kept rest whole. They fed fine and held about 1.5 moa. I did buy a box of loaded 140s at a gunshow that fed, but did not shoot well.

My loads are the Hornadys. They feed well crimped at the cannelure. Have not killed anything with them yet but an old Norma 156 worked well on an 8 point a few years back.

From what I can tell this one was a greek military rifle that Pappy semi-sporterized. It handles very well even with the 24" barrel. It has run through my mind to someday finish the sporterization with a new stock, metal finish, and turning down of the step in the barrel where the old rear sight was, but it's easier to carry it around this way...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe one of the gun heads here on the fire has a factory MS in 358 WIN, no doubt a very rare rifle.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jericho
I believe one of the gun heads here on the fire has a factory MS in 358 WIN, no doubt a very rare rifle.

Yep. Still kicking myself for letting a hundred dollars keep me from owning one! cry

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're correct 117, it is a former Greek military which doesn't hurt a thing, the action is the same.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Here's mine, the one I made from the Breda action.

[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
These beauties just keep coming out of the woodwork. Jorge, I can't imagine a M-S being is any better shape than that one....it honestly looks factory fresh. Steve, that fine creation of yours is definitely a one of a kind. 117lbs, your military sporter ranks right up there, too.

Dang, these thangs are really starting to grow on me. Hope it doesn't turn into an affliction......

H
Hook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Met up with some friends yesterday, one of whom has a great deal of knowledge about German/Austrian firearms. He lived in Germany for many years and immersed himself in their hunting and firearms culture, so was able to share quite a bit of info on my new Steyr. The information he shared with me made me even more impressed with this M-S...if that was possible. My brass, dies, and bullets coming from Graf won't be here until next week, but he just happened to show up with a box of FN surplus FMJ ammo with a 1950 date on it. It had 15 rounds on stripper clips. None of them survived the meeting.

I had bore sighted the post reticle a few days ago and it was remarkably close. Shooting at an 8" plate at about 165 yds, we were able to walk the shots into it by aiming at the upper right side. After that, three different shooters rang the plate pretty much at will off a sand bag rest. I also tried a few shots with the scope removed. This was mostly for slaps and giggles since I can't see iron sights worth a schmidt any more, but I did manage to get the plate wet a little bit. Here is the plate we were shooting at....the small dot out in the water to the left of the point along the right shoreline:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Norma box in the pic is new brass also brought to me by my friend. Wish it had been loaded ammo so we could have kept on popping caps!

Last edited by Hook; 02/25/18.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

595 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,568
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.