Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to upgrade my front rest. Currently using a Caldwell Rock BR and a Rock BR 1000.
Looking at this one to replace my BR 1000 with this.
http://www.bullets.com/products/Rest-Triangle-Aluminum/BE1004
Figure that it would be easier for my wife to use it or the smaller Rock BR than that 24 pound sucker.

Swifty
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have one, very happy with it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Looking to upgrade my front rest. Currently using a Caldwell Rock BR and a Rock BR 1000.
Figure that it would be easier for my wife to use it or the smaller Rock BR than that 24 pound sucker.

First thing you need to do is remove the wind age adjustment. Lock it down or mfg something else. The rest of it is very good. i have both alum and cast iron. If you get the aluminum model take some sandbags to lay on the legs for additional stability.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/23/18.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Butch,
What's the issue with the windage adjustment? Is there any advantage to the slingshot steel rest over the triangle steel rest?

Thanks,
Bruce

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by balew6254
Butch,
What's the issue with the windage adjustment? Is there any advantage to the slingshot steel rest over the triangle steel rest?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce, the triangle model is a little more stable. The speedo cable adjustor is not very precise. Kinda jerky.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thanks Butch,

I will get the triangle steel for bench shooting w/o windage adjustment based on your input. It's time I upgraded from my old inexpensive rest.

Bruce

Dylan Thomas
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by balew6254
Thanks Butch,

I will get the triangle steel for bench shooting w/o windage adjustment based on your input. It's time I upgraded from my old inexpensive rest.

Bruce

You will like it.Later you can add one of my tops.
www.shadetreeea.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Butch,
Thanks for the link, I will get one of your tops later this year. It looks like an impressive piece of equipment!

Bruce

Dylan Thomas
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been reading this thread with interest as I too am looking for a good stable rest for sighting and load development for my sporter/hunting rifles. I'm going for the cast iron Bald Eagle triangle non windage as previously recommended. What would be a good bad for the rest along with a real good rear bag for my useage? Steve

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by stevevan1
I've been reading this thread with interest as I too am looking for a good stable rest for sighting and load development for my sporter/hunting rifles. I'm going for the cast iron Bald Eagle triangle non windage as previously recommended. What would be a good bad for the rest along with a real good rear bag for my useage? Steve

Steve, A lot of folks make quality bags. I personally like the Protector brand. Bald Eagle and Edgewood make good bags.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Butch, I just received the rest that I was asking about. All in all not bad. Like the rotary coarse up down. The rest has a lot of up down movement, but on low looks like it should be just the right height for the wife. The 2 1/4” bag should fit the coopers just fine. The windage adjustment is not high on my list but is easily removed and a set screw and lock nut will cure the ugly. For 30 bucks cheaper, looks to be a damn good rest other than having to spend a couple bucks for set screw and nut.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

First thing you need to do is remove the wind age adjustment. Lock it down or mfg something else. The rest of it is very good. i have both alum and cast iron. If you get the aluminum model take some sandbags to lay on the legs for additional stability.

Butch, I got pointed to this from another site. The bolt ended up costing 8 bucks. Confirmed the thread measurements. Haven’t got around to converting the top to left hand, but not too tough. For any interested.

http://www.precisiontargetshooters.com/index.html

Swifty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks good.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Also found when I took the top apart that you don’t need to drill and tap the base for left hand operation. The end plates and side plates for the slide can be swapped. Bolt holes all line up and the slide plate just get rotated 180. 2 problems I did find is that the side and end plate bolts were loose allowing a little slop. Also the grease that is under the slide plate is like bearing grease, way to heavy which caused erratic and stiff adjustment when in cooler temps, may be just fine for 100+ temps.

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Swifty,
Thanks for the link. I picked up the same rest you did and was thinking what could be done to modify the adjuster.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He updated the link to show the mod. Without drill and tapping.

Last edited by Swifty52; 03/12/18.

Swifty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been real happy with my Bald Eagle rest. I bought it 15 years or so ago. Nowadays I use the bipod about 99% of the time, but when I want to use a front rest it's nice to have a good one.

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

For the life of me I cannot remove the bolt that holds the top plate on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You don’t have to take the top off, but I had no problem removing the center Allen bolt for the top plate.
The slide plate is drilled and tapped both sides. All I did is rotate and flip the slide plate for opposite side operation. The 2 end plates that hold the springs and adjuster bolt are moved to opposite ends after flipping the slide plate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Swifty52; 03/28/18.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

For the life of me I cannot remove the bolt that holds the top plate on.

There is a jam nut under the top plate. The bolt won’t come out until it’s loosened. Page 5 shows it.

https://d1smtr43n8obs4.cloudfront.net/manuals/be1004_m.pdf

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.