Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
But a sad one. I knew Rony. His handler is an acquaintance of mine.
Rony Euthanized

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Certainly sad , but calling dog an 'Officer' seems weird to me .

Must have been a lot of damage to the leg .

Wonder if they'll charge the suspect with the death of an officer .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a very deep appreciation for patrol dogs. It's amazing that they essentially have an on/off switch the handler can use. A cop buddy of mine, Darrin, had a smallish Belgian. It was lightning fast. Sean, a really strong and athletic buddy of mine (he's been Mr Tennessee in body building contests) told Darrin that there was no way his dog could take him down. Darrin put a hard plastic muzzle on the dog. The muzzle had thumb sized holes in it so that the dog could breathe. Sean got about a 50 yard head start running across a field before Darrin turned the dog loose. The dog was on Sean instantly. It hit Sean with enough velocity that we heard the "thwack." Sean stumbled upon the initial impact, then went down on a secondary impact.

Darrin called the dog off. The dog immediately stopped and sat. Sean came back to us. There were two bright red marks the size of the dogs muzzle with scattered thumb size normal colored spots on Sean's legs. They later became bruises. It amazed me that the dog hit him with enough force to do that. Sean said he couldn't imagine adding teeth to that equation.

Here's Sean. https://www.facebook.com/sean.barber.77

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Google says Belgians and German Shepherds hit 30mph.
Imagine being hit by a case of beer thrown out of a pickup going 30mph.
Would leave quite a mark, and a case only weighs 25 pounds, to 50+.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/24/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a very deep appreciation for patrol dogs.

Me too. All too often the dog gets hurt capturing suspects. Rony had been injured before but this time it was just too much. Dennis said that Rony would spend his last, dying breath defending him from a perp if necessary. Sad.

Last edited by achadwick; 02/24/18. Reason: Fixed typos.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Certainly sad , but calling dog an 'Officer' seems weird to me .

Must have been a lot of damage to the leg .

Wonder if they'll charge the suspect with the death of an officer .

Watch a police dog on duty doing what they are trained to do might change your mind

I live the look on gangster ghetto dope dealers' faces when the drug dog shows up during a search warrant

Or the sound of a rapist child molester who runs and hides in the crawl space of a house and he hears the shouts of bring the dog up

Or watching a bomb dog work in Afghanistan

Plugging amazing animals

No problem calling them officers

Absolutely Fearless loyal dedicated animals

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by ribka; 02/24/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's another story involving a bomb dog. I had worked with drug dogs before. It's fascinating watching them work the scent columns in a room. Then when they find something they want to tear into to it. They get so excited when they score a find.

I honestly cant remember if it was the same dog that took Sean down. I think that scrawny Belgian was a dual purpose dog. Darrin only had 2 dogs the time I worked with him, so I think it was the same Belgian. We were at the Pass Christian shooting range and I was talking to Darrin about his dog and it's capability. I asked him if it could smell the gun powder from a 12 gauge shell. He said it could with no problem. While they stayed hidden in one of the buildings I cut open a shell and dumped it into a few paper towels. I then wrapped that in a lot of duct tape, trying to create a seal. Then I took some gasoline from the zero turn and splashed it on the duct tape. I then placed the "bomb" into a crevice on the zero turn.

He brought his dog into the search area. The dog very methodically started working the carport area. The dog walked by the zero turn wiggled his nose in the general direction and casually sat down. I thought to myself "this dog quit." Darrin said "he found it." I was accustomed to the excited drug find. Obviously when a bomb is involved you don't want the dog pawing at it.

A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm sure Dennis has gotten over Rony's passing but I am also sure that his wife and daughter haven't. They had lots of plans for Rony's retirement, but the damage was just too much. The vet said that he couldn't even amputate the shattered leg since the damage was just too extensive with all of his other injuries.

d.v.

Musings on TDS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.