Print Thread
Hop To
V
Vek Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Seems to be quite a hubbub about this trial and the verdict - learned about it today. Anyone know anything about it, other than the reporting by CBC?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There doesn't seem to be much being made public. What there is seems contradictory. Don't know how he walked since here in Canada just the fact he used a gun (and a handgun at that) would seem to have resulted in nothing less than a manslaughter conviction. Up here using force to defend yourself is frowned upon by the law unless you are in fear for your life. Nothing in the reporting I have seen suggested the problem had escalated to that level.

Maybe the problems being experienced with the residents of the nearby reservations have been a lot more severe than is evident to the rest of us. Hopefully more information will be released in the near future. From conversations many people are disgusted that the Prime Minister and other politicians have waded in with comments that may prevent the Crown from appealing the decision because of a future tainted jury pool.

Jim

S
S
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Maybe the problems being experienced with the residents of the nearby reservations have been a lot more severe than is evident to the rest of us.
Jim

Regarding problems with the Res...

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/7wwywl/federal_tories_accuse_justin_trudeau_of/du3vzya/

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
He was found not-guilty by 12 jurors how can the Crown appeal that?
The Cliff notes version looks bad—white farmer—white jury—dead Indian.
Farmer claimed it was an accident—thought the gun was unloaded—fired a couple of warning shots in the air then popped the mag out but forgot the shell in the chamber. Car full of drunk Indians in his driveway up to no good.
I really don’t know what happened only what I’ve read on CBC. It’s a mess

If he’d a been in Ontario he would have lost his farm to pay the legal fees on a charge of careless use of a firearm.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
CBC is horrible left biased

Basically a group of drunk natives , showed up , tried to steal vehicle ( quad) , ran into a vehicle ( purposely) and attacked farmers wife.

Farmer Grabbed a pistol, fired 2 warning shots in the air . Two of the ‘innocent young men’ ran. This is when the deceased jumped behind the wheel- this is when he ran into the vehicle. Wife was mowing grass at this point and Farmer thought she might have been run over /hit in the crash. Reached into to pull the keys to disable the vehicle and gun went off into the deceased skull. Appears that final shot was accidental; he thought the gun was empty gun locked open BUT partial malfunction/jam ,possibly hang fire

$hit rats had been driving around drinking, off and on for two days. Vandalized a vehicle at another farm, earlier in the day, when they couldn’t get it broke into. Deceased had blood alcohol content of .305.

Farmer is white so , of course his fault( sarcasm mine) per media and our moronic federal government

Jury acquitted farmer. Of course they are getting threats from ‘victim’s’ family/community

Coles notes version

Farmer still faces firearm charges - unsafe storage charges. Already had to sell his farm. Fund started on Gofundme that should help

Last edited by Lorne; 02/12/18.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
CBC is terribly left-biased,
Thanks Lorne for the additional information—which was confirmed by a local Native via Facebook to me.

There is no such thing as a specific unsafe storage charge. Under the Criminal Code 86.1 is Careless Use of a Firearm and the Crown will use it to beat Stanley to death just like they did Jonathon Logan and Ian Thompson.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Last edited by bigJ; 02/13/18.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
He's lucky, my buddy went to jail for shooting a bear on his porch that a Conservation Officer told him to shoot. Took him three years in court to beat the charges, but he was bankrupt by then anyway....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cariboo;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks very much for posting that.

It's about as balanced and fair as any article I've read on the subject. The author did an excellent job in my view.

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into spring.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Dwayne,

Yes the press is starting to come around to relaying what happened rather than what some people claim happened.

It was very sad that the young man was killed but at the end of the day it was him and his friends who decided to enter onto Mr. Stanley's farm and cause trouble. Mr. Stanley didn't invite them onto his property and then ambush them. Things went horribly wrong and there definitely were no "winners" in the confrontation.

Here is another link to a news article: https://globalnews.ca/news/4025069/...erdict-is-an-oversimplification/#respond

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by yukon254
He's lucky, my buddy went to jail for shooting a bear on his porch that a Conservation Officer told him to shoot. Took him three years in court to beat the charges, but he was bankrupt by then anyway....

Unbelievable....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A part of the trial the gets glossed over in most reports is that the deceased had a loaded firearm held between his knees when shot. Seems important to me, but most don't mention it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 44 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.