SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm impressed.... You know a lot of stuff.

That's right, and you'd best be using one of the bullets that's "on the list."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Swedes are not the Norwegians, IIRC.
But both can ski.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
With perfectly placed bullets and broadside shots even poor hunting bullet will kill them. But an "elk bullet" is one that will break heavy bone and still penetrate about 24" or more.

There are some 6.5MM bullets that will do it too, but not many of the "long range" ones will. They are made to fly well, not penetrate heavy bones and bodies.

The Creedmoor is basically a 6.5 Swede ballisticly. Use the same hunting bullets for game over 400 pounds that the Swedish do and you will be just fine. The Swede is a shell with a long history of killing moose, which are larger then elk.

Don't fall for the bait of buying bullets because "they are more accurate" for elk hunting. Elk are big! You don't need 1/3 MOA and you can't use it in the field without artificial rests anyway. 1.5 MOA is just fine for elk. They are bigger then horse flys. If your good elk bullet will shoot 1/2 MOA that great, but really not necessary.

Here are the ones I'd consider.

Norma Oryx 156 Grain Bonded Protected Point
Norma Alaskan 156 grain
Woodleigh 160 Grain Weldcore
Hornady 160 Grain RN
Nosler AccuBond Bullets 140 Grain Bonded
Nosler Partition 140 Grain
Swift A-Frame 140 Grain Bonded Semi-Spitzer

Performance inside the elk is FAR more important than performance from the gun to the elk.

Of the bullets you recommend, which ones have you killed or seen elk killed with, and what were the results?

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wageslave
The Swedes are not the Norwegians, IIRC.
But both can ski.

Yes, but back on topic, are Accubonds bonded?

The evidence is overwhelming:

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 140 Grain Bonded

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sense we are in the presence of greatness...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Referring to only the current online Nosler loading manual, it shows a 6.5 129gr ABLR capable of 2900+ out of a CM. It also shows a 270 Win w/140gr AB capable of a bit more (but not much) velocity. Both bullets have a high BC and a high SD. The ABLR opens to a lower fps. Both hold together as they are bonded. The 270 is seldom questioned as an elk killer yet the 6.5 is. One is as good as the other on the performance end and I'll take less recoil and short case. They both kill well with good shooting and I've used both. Mac

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It bears repeating what Charles Sheldon did with his 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer in AK... game hasn't changed, but bullets, powders, and optics sure have gotten better.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mac284338
Referring to only the current online Nosler loading manual, it shows a 6.5 129gr ABLR capable of 2900+ out of a CM. It also shows a 270 Win w/140gr AB capable of a bit more (but not much) velocity. Both bullets have a high BC and a high SD. The ABLR opens to a lower fps. Both hold together as they are bonded. The 270 is seldom questioned as an elk killer yet the 6.5 is. One is as good as the other on the performance end and I'll take less recoil and short case. They both kill well with good shooting and I've used both. Mac

Come on, .264 vs. .277! All the difference in the world! I read it here somewhere... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm

Come on, .264 vs. .277! All the difference in the world! I read it here somewhere... whistle

Reminds me of a rather clueless except in his own mind coworker... a devout .270 fan, who got "really into reloading", sold the 7-08 youth model he had so they didn't need two sets of reloading dies and could all have the same ammo, and bought both his 10-12ish year old kids full sized, full length 270s.

He asked before an upcoming elk hunt what we were going to hunt elk with, since he knew we only had 260s. I told him we'd probably use the 260s and hope like hell the bullets didn't bounce off or just wound them. Guess which kids came home with two VERY dead elk, in two shots total, and which came home empty handed with stories of not being able to hold the guns up, not able to get on target, and then wounding and losing multiple elk when they finally shot? It's a common theme, even on tit tags for deer where a guy could sit in camp and drink until a doe walked by for his kids to whack.

I told that ignorant bastard we just got lucky, and seem to every year, and that we don't even deserve it cause I'm not living right anyway.

wink

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
I sense we are in the presence of greatness...

Obviously his schizzlezin didn’t see what a teenager shooting a 6 creedmoor with 1/3 MOA bullets can do...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of the bullets you recommend, which ones have you killed or seen elk killed with, and what were the results?

To answer this question;
I have never killed an elk with a 6.5MM (wanted to last year, but my truck broke down and I was not able to go)

I have seen elk killed with the following ones:

Norma Alaskan 156 grain. Used by a friend in Lyman Wyoming. Killed a nice 5X6 bull with his 6.5X55. Bullet stayed inside the body but recovered weight was great. I remember it was 140+ grain plus. Shot was into the front of the chest. we took it out of the flank on the other side.

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 140 Grain Bonded. A friend in Thermopolis killed 2 cows with these from a 6.5X55, and a hunter from Iowa killed a 3X3 Rag-Horn with one fired from a 260 Remington. The 2 elk that my friend in Thermop shot were both 1 shot kills with one exit and the other bullet against the hide. I didn't get to weight it but it didn't shed much.
The Iowa hunter kept his bullet too. 2 shots, one exit one against the skin after going through about 3 feet of elk.

Hornady 160 Grain RN. Another friend from Thermopolis killed a very nice bull with one from his 6.5X55 that I made for him. Exit wound so I don't know the retained weight. Also I know 2 men in Montana that used them for elk and deer both and between them have probably killed 20. I was with them when they killed 2 bulls with these and one big deer. Both shooting 260s made on Mauser actions, one by me and one by a gunsmith in Montana. All bullets exited.

Nosler Partition 140 Grain I have seen 3 elk killed with these. One by a lady in Green River Wyoming. Exit wound quartering through the chest. One by a client that my Nephew was guiding and another by his wife on the same hunt. Fired from a 6.5-06. One bullet recovered but I didn't get to weigh it. My Nephew did and told me what it was but I don't remember exactly. I do remember it was about what I expect from Nosler partitions so it was probably about 70%

The 3 below I recommend just because I know them by reputation and recommendations of other hunters I trust, and in the case of the Norma Orex, I have fired some into a test trough when I was testing other bullets. It opened up well and the penetration was outstanding.

Norma Oryx 156 Grain Bonded Protected Point Tested in my ballistic trough. Most weigh about 80% of their original weight when I dug them out. Some that missed all the bones weigh about 88 to 90% VERY good bullets in my openion

Woodleigh 160 Grain Weldcore. Used by a friend in Australia who has killed many animals with them and sent me some pictures. Says they are the best over-all that he's used. Shoots a 6.5X55 and a 6.5X57.

Swift A-Frame 140 Grain Bonded Semi-Spitzer. Used by a man I know in Montana, from a 264 Win Mag and a 26 Nosler. Nothing but good was reported and all bullets exited the game so far. Deer, elk and one bear. I trust his judgement and he swears by them.

Last edited by szihn; 02/27/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

To answer this question;
I have never killed an elk with a 6.5MM (wanted to last year, but my truck broke down and I was not able to go)

I have seen elk killed with the following ones:

Norma Alaskan 156 grain. Used by a friend in Lyman Wyoming. Killed a nice 5X6 bull with his 6.5X55. Bullet stayed inside the body but recovered weight was great. I remember it was 140+ grain plus. Shot was into the front of the chest. we took it out of the flank on the other side.

Nosler AccuBond Bullets 140 Grain Bonded. A friend in Thermopolis killed 2 cows with these from a 6.5X55, and a hunter from Iowa killed a 3X3 Rag-Horn with one fired from a 260 Remington. The 2 elk that my friend in Thermop shot were both 1 shot kills with one exit and the other bullet against the hide. I didn't get to weight it but it didn't shed much.
The Iowa hunter kept his bullet too. 2 shots, one exit one against the skin after going through about 3 feet of elk.

Hornady 160 Grain RN. Another friend from Thermopolis killed a very nice bull with one from his 6.5X55 that I made for him. Exit wound so I don't know the retained weight. Also I know 2 men in Montana that used them for elk and deer both and between them have probably killed 20. I was with them when they killed 2 bulls with these and one big deer. Both shooting 260s made on Mauser actions, one by me and one by a gunsmith in Montana. All bullets exited.

Nosler Partition 140 Grain I have seen 3 elk killed with these. One by a lady in Green River Wyoming. Exit wound quartering through the chest. One by a client that my Nephew was guiding and another by his wife on the same hunt. Fired from a 6.5-06. One bullet recovered but I didn't get to weigh it. My Nephew did and told me what it was but I don't remember exactly. I do remember it was about what I expect from Nosler partitions so it was probably about 70%

The 3 below I recommend just because I know them by reputation and recommendations of other hunters I trust, and in the case of the Norma Orex, I have fired some into a test trough when I was testing other bullets. It opened up well and the penetration was outstanding.

Norma Oryx 156 Grain Bonded Protected Point Tested in my ballistic trough. Most weigh about 80% of their original weight when I dug them out. Some that missed all the bones weigh about 88 to 90% VERY good bullets in my openion

Woodleigh 160 Grain Weldcore. Used by a friend in Australia who has killed many animals with them and sent me some pictures. Says they are the best over-all that he's used. Shoots a 6.5X55 and a 6.5X57.

Swift A-Frame 140 Grain Bonded Semi-Spitzer. Used by a man I know in Montana, from a 264 Win Mag and a 26 Nosler. Nothing but good was reported and all bullets exited the game so far. Deer, elk and one bear. I trust his judgement and he swears by them.

Good report.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
344 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.