Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was looking at an older Ithaca 37 yesterday and noticed that the magazine cap had a sliding "pin" in it. What is the function of this pin? Does it lock the cap in place? Thanks, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I believe it was to give a lever to help loosen the mag cap.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That would make sense. Thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
I believe it was to give a lever to help loosen the mag cap.

That’s exactly the purpose of the pin.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was in a know it all gunshop last week looking at a 12 guage 37, commented about it not having the pin putting it in a particular date range, was informed 37's never had them, I was thinking Model 12's. Evidently we all have some rare specimens, my 16 and 20 both have the pin, early 50's vintage.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
First year mfg., 37R 20 ga. with solid rib. The barrel, reportedly, was rust blued due to soldered rib.

Metal is original. Stock was in pretty bad shape. I restored it, re-cut the checkering.

Checkering was 20 lpi, stock, 18 lpi, forearm, which I found surprising. I was told some of that work was outsourced back then, not sure about that. Different lpi, same gun, is unusual. This is a really slick action. I guess nearly 80 yrs. can do that.

DF

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rCWt44T.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ANOGWim.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/l1qqzfd.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/01/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer-that is a beautiful shotgun. I thought I liked the corncob forened style, then I discovered the earlier ones like you just posted. Been saying for a while I need a 20 and 16 in that style as well.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think these are prettier than corn cob, although those are pretty cool.

DF

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a first year 16 that’s a twin to that one. I assume it was shipped as a two barrel set because the 28” plain barrel it has is serial numbered with a 2 following the serial number. Wish it had the other barrel with it but I won’t complain too loudly since I paid the princely sum of $20 for it.

An old lady was moving into the rest home and the young couple helping her found the gun minus the barrel behind the deep freeze in the garage. The old woman told them to throw it out and they asked me if I wanted it. I forced them to take all the cash I had in my pocket against their will. 30 minutes later they fame back with the barrel they found behind the washing machine. I was hoping they’d turn up the other barrel but it never showed up.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
I have a first year 16 that’s a twin to that one. I assume it was shipped as a two barrel set because the 28” plain barrel it has is serial numbered with a 2 following the serial number. Wish it had the other barrel with it but I won’t complain too loudly since I paid the princely sum of $20 for it.

An old lady was moving into the rest home and the young couple helping her found the gun minus the barrel behind the deep freeze in the garage. The old woman told them to throw it out and they asked me if I wanted it. I forced them to take all the cash I had in my pocket against their will. 30 minutes later they fame back with the barrel they found behind the washing machine. I was hoping they’d turn up the other barrel but it never showed up.

Is it the 37R with solid rib?

I paid less than $300 for this one and from a major Houston dealer around 10 yrs. ago. Wood was pretty bad.

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The barrel I have is a plain barrel but the wood and checkering is identical to yours. The barrel I have is serial numbered to the gun but has a 2 following the number which leads me to believe maybe it was shipped as a two barrel set and maybe the other barrel had a rib. I have never seen another with the checkered forend that didn’t have a rib. I also own two other M37s with the barrels serial numbered to the gun but neither has an extra number following the serial number.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could be wrong, but I think the number after the serial number indicates choke. I'll have to look at my guns tonight, and do some more google-foo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ll have to look again to be sure but I think it’s marked MOD on the side of the barrel. I’ll have to drag it out and look it over again, haven’t had it out since I took it pheasant hunting two years ago

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just looked at my two, 16 and 20 Guages

The 20 is full choked and has a 4 stamped immediately under serial number.

The 16 is modified and has a 1 stamped immediately above the serial number.

Some google searches turned some up that a -4 after serial number meant full choke, but none of that matches mine or yours. I’m more confused now than ever...

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

Those old 37's are light weight and great hunting guns.

DF

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!!!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice.

Those old 37's are light weight and great hunting guns.

DF

Yes that is a nice pair.

I have a soft spot for bottom ejectors, 37s in particular. My great Grandad bought a Remington M10 the last year they were produced. He gave it to my Grandad as his wedding present some years later and replaced it with a 37. My Grandad shot the M10 until it was worn out and following in his dad’s footsteps, replaced it with a 37. Years later when my uncles were looking for good 3” Magnum capable shotguns, they settled on BPSs. Oldest uncle completely wore out his first one he bought in about 1979 or 80, we all chipped in and bought him a new one for Christmas about 5 years ago. When I was in jr high Grandad paid me for farm work with a 16ga 37 wearing a polychoke. And so started my affair with the bottom shuckers. Guess it runs in the family. Wish I could find a nice Remington M17 someday.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The pin on the cap is for leverage. It was found on early guns before 855,000.

The number after the hyphen on the barrel indicates what number barrel it is for that serial number. It is not choke. If you have a #4, then that was the fourth barrel made with that serial number.

The barrels were serialed to the receiver for which they were made, as they were not interchangeable until after 855,000 (though usually they will fit but no guarantees).

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For anyone serious about the 37, Walt Snyder's book, Ithaca Featherlight Repeaters...The Best Gun Going is a must. Walt had connections with the Ithaca factory, ended up with the original records of guns made and shipped. Walt's Dad worked for Pittsburgh Forging Company; at one time they forged barrels for the 37.

So, growing up in that environment planted the seed for a comprehensive history and documentation of Ithaca shotguns from the early days of Ithaca founder, Lou Smith. The company was named after the town of Ithaca where the factory was located.

Walt is active over on the Shotgunworld site, handle is Ithacanut. You can PM him. My book was autographed by him, I'm sure they can be had on Amazon and other sites. I got mine from Walt. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=59

I was fortunate enough to end up with Major Charles Askins, Sr's personal Superposed. That thread is also on the Shotgunworld site. I got to know Col. Askins's son, Bill and was able to put Bill and Walt together for the sale of Major Askins' famous Ithaca double. Walt wrote a wonderful piece about that gun and the Major in the 24th anniv issue, Winter 2013, of The Double Gun Journal. I was offered the gun, but felt it needed to be in Walt's hands. He could do a lot more with it than I could.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My first year in college, 1956, I won a raffle for a 12 ga, mod, plane barrel, Model 37. Tickets were 50 cents and I bought two. As I recall, the gun weighed 6.25 pounds. I put a lot of rounds through it after mostly quail, dove, duck, and jack rabbits. After a few years, it started dropping some to most of the shells from the magazine when the pump was operated. Local talent was not up to a repair, so I traded it off. Later, I found out that the factory could easily fix it.

I still have a soft spot for 37s, and am considering a new 28 ga.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.