Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SquirrelGirl,

My wife Eileen Clarke has been beating her head against this for a LONG time. In fact she once dropped the F-bomb in the booth of a well-known manufacturer's booth at the annual Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT), when a booth guy about half a foot shorter and wider than she is, claimed she could shoot the same shotguns he did.

She's also come very close to that point in many sporting goods stores, when clerks told her the right socks would make a pair of men's boots fit just as well. Women (again on average) have higher arches and narrower heels than men, and Eileen used custom-made boots for years, until Kenetrek started making boots specifically designed for women's feet about a decade ago. Luckily, their headquarters are near us in Bozeman, Montana, where she could try 'em on. But they solved the problem of a good, well-fitting insulated boot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Well, I knew I liked her from all the things my husband has said about conversations with the two of you but also from my own reading. I've let the F-bomb fly several times with fly fishing manufacturers including in a focus group. Unfortunately, most women's boots are very narrow even in the forefoot. German-designed boots like Lowa still use a combination last but don't get me started on their wacko marketing team so getting a hold of a pair requires handing over a first born child, which I don't have. It's even been hard to get Schnee's to cough up some fit descriptions.

CWT Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Depending on what your needs are Irish Setter might be an option. They have women's specific boots. You go into the Irish setter store and stand on this electronic foot device and it shows exactly what size would fit your foot. If they have to order it and the fit is not to your liking you don't have to pay. My wife and I upland hunt, hike in the mountains of NC and we have found the Irish Setters fit our needs at $250 or less. Our deer hunting is somewhat different so I usually wear Muck Boots for that although I also wear them woodcock hunting where I might walk 8-10 miles.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks. Irish Setters I can find but they don't fit that combination last foot.

Lowa is supposedly redesigning the Tibet Superwarm but it won't be available until fall because they don't want women to have sufficient break-in time before the snow flies (yes, that was snark). Crispi said they're restocking the Gran Paradiso this month which means they have 13 hours left. I'm in Montana multiple times a year so I'll probably go to Schnee's just because. Shedhorn Sports in Ennis is the one and only retailer I know that makes an effort of stocking a good variety of women's products.

Sheesh, I have spent hours doing research. Meanwhile, my husband walks into one store . . . .

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by shaman
Weatherby Camilla? With a name like that, I had to look it up. I can see why they gave it the name.

They are both ugly humps, and the prospective owner would have been best served with taking better care of what he had previously, so he wouldn't need a new one.

[Linked Image]

Wrong Camilla ..

A truly ignorant joke in the case of the rifle's name.

The Camilla rifle was named for Roy Weatherby's wife. She stood by him while he started his rifle company in the 1940 and 50's and actually sold her inheritance-a peice of familly farmland in Kansas- to provide capital for his company. Truth be kbiwn their lropably would never have been any Weatherby, Inc without her.

How men here are married to such women?

In the case of the Camilla rifle, I cannot think of a better name.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
Originally Posted by Higbean

Are you affiliated with Weatherby in any way, shape or form?

Oh my gawd, you caught me. They sent me a free hat in one order.

Nice way of handling a truly stupid comment.

My wife is tall so we may have lucked out a bit when it turned out the Tikka T 3 in 6.5x55 fit her. I'm glad because she is left eye dominant and there is no LH Camilla to buy. She likes it so much that she has forbidden me to change anything on that rifle smile I put a Burris 2-7x35 which keeps things lightweight.

For boots we found that Merrel's fit her very well so we also bought a second pair of insulated boots which fit just as well. She bought herself a good daypack she likes, I think it was a Browning designed for women but I would need to confirm that.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Camilla" brings a touch of history where "Lady Hunter" makes me look to see where they added pink. Seriously, would anyone label a rifle "The Male Hunter"? How's that for good rationale?

Well, rationally Lady Hunter is comparative to Gentleman Hunter (a rather classy moniker) as Male Hunter is to Female Hunter, but enough about pink. The dimensional changes to rifle stocks better addressing the needs of the female profile is way overdue. The typical straight comb but shorter pull typically used is about as wrong as wrong can be. Wife's A-Bolt Micro is about right on pull but totally wrong on height and shape of comb. Unfortunately it took me a few years to figure it out and she did not have the experience required to accurately question the problem. I'm pretty sure that's one reason she grew weary of pulling the trigger on game. Now that interest is rekindled and most likely a Camelia will be her next firearm purchase.

While we're at it there are a lot of men out here that don't fit the typical stock offered by some rifle manufacturers or the scope height commonly "known" to be best. My Mark V stock with medium rings "fits" me well while a Kimber 84 straight stock so scoped isn't easily usable. Matter of fact the straight combed Kimber or similar will never be in my gun rack.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootem
"Camilla" brings a touch of history where "Lady Hunter" makes me look to see where they added pink. Seriously, would anyone label a rifle "The Male Hunter"? How's that for good rationale?

Well, rationally Lady Hunter is comparative to Gentleman Hunter (a rather classy moniker) as Male Hunter is to Female Hunter, but enough about pink.

No, that would be huntress...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Well, rationally Lady Hunter is comparative to Gentleman Hunter (a rather classy moniker) as Male Hunter is to Female Hunter, but enough about pink.

I understand but having dealt with the lack of fly fishing products that fit, misogyny in the industry and, sometimes, from non-industry folks, women cringe over some marketing tactics. Look at the conversations over Wyoming considering "safety pink". FFS, I don't think this is going to get more women hunting. I was in the first wave of women to benefit from Title 9. Been there, done that.

Your comments about stock fit challenges for everyone is right on point.

Last edited by SquirrelGirl; 03/01/18. Reason: clarity
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl
Originally Posted by Higbean

Are you affiliated with Weatherby in any way, shape or form?

Oh my gawd, you caught me. They sent me a free hat in one order.

Nice way of handling a truly stupid comment.

My wife is tall so we may have lucked out a bit when it turned out the Tikka T 3 in 6.5x55 fit her. I'm glad because she is left eye dominant and there is no LH Camilla to buy. She likes it so much that she has forbidden me to change anything on that rifle smile I put a Burris 2-7x35 which keeps things lightweight.

For boots we found that Merrel's fit her very well so we also bought a second pair of insulated boots which fit just as well. She bought herself a good daypack she likes, I think it was a Browning designed for women but I would need to confirm that.

Considering the huge success of the Camilla, it is unfortunate that they did not introduce a LH stock. It will be interesting to watch sales of the Mark V versions. I tried a Tikka T3 and thought I was going to tip over! If only I could grow a bit. I'm currently researching air rifles which means I'm going through the stock fit fits again.

I purchased an Alps Outdoorz Monarch X pack. I have not had an opportunity to use it but the fit and comfort appear to be on par with my multitude of women's Osprey and Gregory packs.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI

uppity....

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shootem,

I have mentioned here and there the fact that Roy Weatherby had a long neck and sloping shoulders, which is probably why he liked Monte Carlo combs....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow that is a beautiful rifle. Would love to hold/shoot one to see if the stock fits. Can a man own one or will he get called a sissy?

Last edited by centershot; 03/01/18.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by centershot
Wow that is a beautiful rifle. Would love to hold/shoot one to see if the stock fits.

Sportsmans Warehouse shows one in stock in Twin Falls.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shootem,

I have mentioned here and there the fact that Roy Weatherby had a long neck and sloping shoulders, which is probably why he liked Monte Carlo combs....

My first introduction to your writing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sq. Girl,my wife and daughter have both used boots from LL Bean,I believe they come in women's sizes. They wear rubber boots by Hunter,and also by LaCrosse. In colder weather,they use fur lined leather Uggs.

Lacrosse are the only ones that only come in men's sizes. My daughter hunts a lot in roper style cowgirl boots too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

uppity....

U betcha....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Sq. Girl,my wife and daughter have both used boots from LL Bean,I believe they come in women's sizes. They wear rubber boots by Hunter,and also by LaCrosse. In colder weather,they use fur lined leather Uggs.

Lacrosse are the only ones that only come in men's sizes. My daughter hunts a lot in roper style cowgirl boots too.

Another vote for LL Bean..

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Thank you! You guys are being so awesome with your suggestions. Have they used any of the Sitka or First Lite clothing?

My boot challenge is an insulated boot (think Kennetrek Mnt Extreme 400g) that I can wear for a 10 mile day in loose sharp rock or a foot of snow. Women have few options in that category. If the Kennetrek's Eileen Clarke likes fit, I'd grab a pair. Italian boots just don't allow my little toe to go along on the adventure. I think Lowa (a German company) will have something eventually but you never know with them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Squirrel I've let the F-bomb fly several times with fly fishing manufacturers including in a focus group. [/quote]

SG: Glad the rifle works well for you.It appears to be well thought out and designed. As to looks of the Camilla if form follows function then they did well.

As for Fly Gear have you tried any of it that Joan Wulff designed? There are a couple of nice rods and some other items too. A friend of mine started a line of women's hunting and fishing gear called she safari and there are others too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.