-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not an engineer not even real dam smart.
A pipe is stiffer than a similar OD solid.
The pipe will resist deflection better, until it
fails, which willeads be catastrophic. The solid willike
bend much easier, but will take more effort to have a total
failure.

For use as a stock stiffener, a good tube will be stiffer, lighter,
and will not be exposed to the forces that would ruin it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Had a cool old FN Mauser custom 300 Win Mag back in the day with a really nice stick of walnut, it was bedded and floated and began to warp to the side a bit, took it to my 'smith, he milled out a channel in the forend, placed a 6" solid aluminum piece of square bar stock in the channel with epoxy compound, immediately placed the rifle in a vice, used some other attachment to push the forend straight with the barrel, let sit for a couple of days, it was still perfectly straight when I sold it.

Trump Won!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I am not an engineer not even real dam smart.
A pipe is stiffer than a similar OD solid.
The pipe will resist deflection better...

At least you provided the disclaimer.

NO! The pipe is not stiffer than a solid bar of the same diameter.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Reading this thread I believe many are confusing stiffer with stronger.
They are not the same.

A 1/4" glass rod is stiffer than a 1/4" steel rod, but the steel rod is stronger.

A solid bar is far stronger then a hollow tube of the same diameter, but the tube will come back straighter if it's bent unless it's bent far enough to kink.

A bar takes more force to bend, but doesn't return to straight as well, ............. alloys being equal between the two.

Welded pipe is often made from 1018 steel and so is hot-rolled as a rule.
If anyone want to test this to be sure, (and not have to believe when they see on the internet my post included), just go get a 1" diameter water pipe (called 3/4" in the plumbing industry) and a 1" hot rolled steel rod. Get them both 4 feet long.

Now clamp them 1 foot from the end in a vice on a heavy duty bench or put them into a buried pipe in the ground 1 foot deep and pull. See which one you can bend easier.

The pipe will flex with just a little effort and come back to straight (or mostly straight.) When you go past the point it can resist, it will kink and break over.

The bar will not bend easily at all, but when (or if) you do get it to bent, it will stay bent about 50-60% of whatever bend you put in it.
Try it yourself and see.

None of this is related directly to the OP question, but may explain the debate so it's easier to understand.
Some are saying "stiff" when they mean "strong", and vise-versa

Last edited by szihn; 03/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Young's modulus is the stiffness and for a given material, comparing different shapes of the same weight, the modulus will generally be proportional to strength.

In the elastic region we sometimes call this a spring where in Hooke's law, the stiffness is proportional to the spring constant.

For the same material, comparing hollow tubes to solid cylinders, stiffness is a very good way of comparing strengths.

In accuracy, the stiffness is what counts. Recoil does not break guns, it bends them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You cannot make an object stronger or stiffer by removing material. Using hollow tubes and flutes allows gains in strength and stiffness relative to mass, not diameter. A solid cylinder of a given outside diameter will be stronger than any tube of that same diameter assuming like material composition. The thicker the walls of a tube, the stronger the tube- again, given the same outside diameter. When the walls get so thick that they touch in the center and you now have a solid cylinder, it has become as strong as possible at that diameter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rovert
You cannot make an object stronger or stiffer by removing material. Using hollow tubes and flutes allows gains in strength and stiffness relative to mass, not diameter. A solid cylinder of a given outside diameter will be stronger than any tube of that same diameter assuming like material composition. The thicker the walls of a tube, the stronger the tube- again, given the same outside diameter. When the walls get so thick that they touch in the center and you now have a solid cylinder, it has become as strong as possible at that diameter.

True, but fluting allows one to increase OD without an increase in weight.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As we get close to solid, we gain very little.... that is why birds have hollow bones.
That is why your fishing pole is hollow.

Rifle barrels are not center-loaded... it is the weight of the barrel itself and the action of pressure behind the bullet straightening the barrel.

That causes the barrel to vibrate as the pressure pulse moves down the barrel..

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

Young's modulus is the stiffness and for a given material, comparing different shapes of the same weight, the modulus will generally be proportional to strength.

In the elastic region we sometimes call this a spring where in Hooke's law, the stiffness is proportional to the spring constant.

For the same material, comparing hollow tubes to solid cylinders, stiffness is a very good way of comparing strengths.

In accuracy, the stiffness is what counts. Recoil does not break guns, it bends them.

Yup.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I went through all this with a BC stock and it stiffens the fore end but there was still flex through the action area. I just decided to live with it but if I were to do it over again I wouldn't. I would get a new stock instead or just buy a V-Block bedding cradle and inlet that in. The full length ones stiffen the action and magazine area too. But for the cost and time for this better to sell and start over.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 43 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.