Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Buck2
I don't have an opinion either way, but I thought this was interesting. Vortex has the highest usage among the pro shooters in Precision Rifle Series.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

Is that because Vortex is the best though,or because Vortex sponsors the most shooters?

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Its the best for the price, that allows those shooters to get into the sport.

Decreasing marginal utility, and decreased demand elasticity.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a word about vortex warranties.I used to have 3 vortex vipers,i sold them all. I had a 4x16x44 that midway sold. the power ring got so tight I couldn't turn it with tearing skin of my fingers. I called and talked to a tech at vortex. the guy said they would not take it back for repair and gave me the name of 2 companies that sell power ring levers. I told him I wanted it fixed and he would not do it. well ,I hug up before I went totally off on him ,waited a day and called back. the second tech told me the exact same thing . I bought a power lever online then sold the scope. my other 2 vipers were hst 6x24x50 models. I was never really happy with clarity above 20x on either scope so I sold them to. NO MORE VORTEX FOR ME.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
a word about vortex warranties.I used to have 3 vortex vipers,i sold them all. I had a 4x16x44 that midway sold. the power ring got so tight I couldn't turn it with tearing skin of my fingers. I called and talked to a tech at vortex. the guy said they would not take it back for repair and gave me the name of 2 companies that sell power ring levers. I told him I wanted it fixed and he would not do it. well ,I hug up before I went totally off on him ,waited a day and called back. the second tech told me the exact same thing . I bought a power lever online then sold the scope. my other 2 vipers were hst 6x24x50 models. I was never really happy with clarity above 20x on either scope so I sold them to. NO MORE VORTEX FOR ME.

That's sort of what's always concerned me about the brand. They might have a great exchange warranty but what good is it to exchange one POS for another POS?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I don't have an opinion either way, but I thought this was interesting. Vortex has the highest usage among the pro shooters in Precision Rifle Series.

Is that because Vortex is the best though,or because Vortex sponsors the most shooters?

from the link:
Vortex was the most popular brand for the 2nd year in a row, representing over 1/3 of the top shooters.

If true, they must be doing something right. Marketing only goes so far.

Speak life
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have any of you looked at the Athlon scopes?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Grady8541

from the link:
Vortex was the most popular brand for the 2nd year in a row, representing over 1/3 of the top shooters.

I don't know if that's the reason or not. I just think it's something that needs to be considered when evaluating based on what top competitors use. I know in other areas top competitors often change equipment as their sponsors change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of advertising just like tc did the encore

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

from the link:

I don't know if that's the reason or not. I just think it's something that needs to be considered when evaluating based on what top competitors use. I know in other areas top competitors often change equipment as their sponsors change.

Any competitors want to chime in? Would you use inferior equipment to receive sponsorship?

Speak life
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

from the link:

Any competitors want to chime in? Would you use inferior equipment to receive sponsorship?

I don't think it's that black and white. It's not like a top competitor would use a $100 BSA because it's free but they might use their second or even 4th choice when they really couldn't afford their first choice anyway without the sponsor.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/28/18.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

A top shooter told me this is a very competitive shooting sport. Many shooters have a huge investment and want to win. He said most choose equipment based on results. Sponsorship is something they enjoy, but they will trade sponsorship to win.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a diamondback, if I wanted an objective bell that big in diameter I could have got it with a 50mm leupold. No thanks, I sold it.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Two of the top PRS/sniper match competitors chose to use Leupold Mark 6’s in a team match a couple of years ago even though they knew that both had tracking errors and both had a .2-.4 Mil zero shift in elevetaion regularly. LOTS of competitors use stuff for reasons other than because it works the best. Again the Kahles and Steiner scope issues that were well known and reported still had people competing with them even after they had to send one, and in some cases, multiple scopes back for failures.

It sounds good to say that competitors only use “the best” but in USPSA, 3-Gun, precision matches, and service rifle- especially with scopes, that’s not the case a lot of times.

Cognitive dissonance is real.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Two of the top PRS/sniper match competitors chose to use Leupold Mark 6’s in a team match a couple of years ago even though they knew that both had tracking errors and both had a .2-.4 Mil zero shift in elevetaion regularly. LOTS of competitors use stuff for reasons other than because it works the best. Again the Kahles and Steiner scope issues that were well known and reported still had people competing with them even after they had to send one, and in some cases, multiple scopes back for failures.

It sounds good to say that competitors only use “the best” but in USPSA, 3-Gun, precision matches, and service rifle- especially with scopes, that’s not the case a lot of times.

Cognitive dissonance is real.

kahles and steiner aint exactly inexpensive stuff either. in fact its mega over priced if you ask me. I too saw the tracking error problems with those scope on youtube where they tall target tested them. vortex is probably paying enough to get them to use them still. competing with a crap scope I suppose is better than not competing at all because you don't have money to get there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I read stuff like this on the campfire constantly....

I've come to the conclusion, after reading ALL of these threads,

I must be the luckiest scope owner on the campfire, as I don't seem to experience
all of these disastrous issues that others seem to experience...

I buy scopes and they just seem to work...

yet I'll admit, I don't buy Barska, and some of these other goofy made in Buttfudkistan....
or low buck Simmons etc...

Tascos I never seem to have problems with...some of them I do avoid.. almost like its common sense...

The Vortexs I have are working fine....they must be defective in some way... according to campfire standards...

reading the campfire, I wonder if a quality & durable scope is actually made at all.. from anywhere in the world
at ANY price....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
None of them are trustworthy sans the Razor line.

Only scope I ever had to take a dump on me. You could shake it and it sounded like a baby's rattle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Seafire

I must be the luckiest scope owner on the campfire, as I don't seem to experience

yet I'll admit, I don't buy Barska, and some of these other goofy made in Buttfudkistan....

Tascos I never seem to have problems with...some of them I do avoid.. almost like its common sense...

The Vortexs I have are working fine....they must be defective in some way... according to campfire standards...

reading the campfire, I wonder if a quality & durable scope is actually made at all.. from anywhere in the world
at ANY price....

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

at ANY price....

Well said!

Last edited by boltgunjim; 03/02/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lennie

A top shooter told me this is a very competitive shooting sport. Many shooters have a huge investment and want to win. He said most choose equipment based on results. Sponsorship is something they enjoy, but they will trade sponsorship to win.

Any top competitor can pick his sponsors...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Etoh
Its the best for the price, that allows those shooters to get into the sport.

Decreasing marginal utility, and decreased demand elasticity.

Using big words you do not understand is usually a bad move...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.