Print Thread
Hop To
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My better half wants a pellet grill for her upcoming birthday and I know nothing about them. So does anyone have any personal experience with one? What should I look for or stay away from. Any and all input is appreciated. Bottom line I like to eat, so I want to keep her cooking.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Rectec 680. Has worked well for last year. They seem largely similar across brands but my buddy had a Rectec that worked great for years so I went that route. They are very easy to cook with and have turned out many great smoked meals with ours.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wife and I have had a Yoder YS640 since February 2012 and are very happy with it, no regrets. Often this model is referred to as built like a tank, it is. Made in the USA, 10 gauge steel cook chamber.

December 2017 we got a Blaz’n Grid Iron for its ability to cook low ‘n slow 4 grates of ribs for cook offs over the Yoder’s 2 grates, very impressed with the quality of the build. In comparison to the YS640 it has a larger cook chamber and hopper, center mounted burn pot is easily removable for dumping the burn pot but the grates and heat deflector still need to be removed to clean ash in the lower cook chamber. The pro rack system has well over double the square inch grate space than the Yoder with the second shelf option. So far happy with purchase. Made in the USA, 16 gauge steel cook chamber with strategically placed double wall construction.

In my opinion the sear kit in the Blaz’n is a disappointment and does not grill or sear with direct heat. We did not purchase it for the feature and will never try it as have plenty of grills for that. Yoder on the other hand has a very descent searing set up, just my opinion for direct grilling and searing.

[Linked Image]

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We bought a MAK 2 Star last fall, and really happy with it in all respects. Still keeping my Primo charcoal burner, as I've found nothing like it for searing steaks.

Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve ran treager for better than 15 years, on my second one. First one I had a lot of problems with but I didn’t take very good care of it, ie spent a lot of time outside... my new one I keep in the shop, very good unit, i smoke everything on it, eggs, sausage, Salmon everything...
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the thoughts. I had a fellow tell me yesterday that the smoke from the grills is slightly caustic and when it mixes with the moisture from the food it slowly eats away the paint/powder coating. For that reason he was telling me to look at stainless. Any truth to that? Is stainless worth the extra coin regardless?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dunno bout that, my first treager did but it spent a lot of time outside. My new one is doin good

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Being that your in the coast range I can see a grill rusting fast in left out and uncovered, over here in the blue's not so much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve had mine for two years here in Northern Va, i keep a cover on it when I’m not using it.

It has been the best cooker I’ve ever used to date. Can’t hardly screw up anything on it.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We bought the smallest Green Mountain Grill last year primarily for it's portability for camping, etc. It's about all we use at home now as well so we're talking about adding one of the bigger ones this year. I still prefer charcoal for some things, but we've been over all quite happy with the pellet grill.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.