Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have any of you guys tried the Simms (as in flyrod) jackets? They are impressively light, warm, and well designed.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I did, but I accidentally spilled my non-fat soy latte and some killer quinoa salad on it so now it's ruined for me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Did you spill your latte on your Prius seat too?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't be silly, I ride a Vespa.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hate to revive an old thread but it’s a good one. Has anyone tried the new version KUIU superdown PRO? How do they compare for use while glassing and sitting stationary? Thx

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have not. Spent quite a bit of time in a Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody in WY at temps in the teens. I took a nap at mid-day with those temps.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mountain Hardwear "Ratio" Q-Shield down...bought on sale...excellent. Like wearing half of a sleeping bag. 13.9 oz, fits in a little stuff sack.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mountaintop
Hate to revive an old thread but it’s a good one. Has anyone tried the new version KUIU superdown PRO? How do they compare for use while glassing and sitting stationary? Thx

With 5oz of fill it’s about a 35 degree jacket for complete comfort while absolutely stationary for hours. That’s with wearing a thin base layer, and light to medium fleece (Patagonia R1) under it. If your in the sunlight, you can go lower.

Used a variety of puff jackets the last three weeks from negative 3 or 4 degrees to almost 60. Mostly between low teens and 35 degrees. The Firstlite Chamberlin has no equal in the hunting companies puffys. It’s a solid 20’ish degree jacket when worn as above.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You could buy three of these for the price of the Chamberlin, and then have a lot of layering flexibility.

Just a thought
https://www.rei.com/product/137433/rei-co-op-magma-850-down-hoodie-mens

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Where does the Sitka Kelvin Down hoody WS fit in? Does it compare to the chamberlain?

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
You could buy three of these for the price of the Chamberlin, and then have a lot of layering flexibility.

Just a thought
https://www.rei.com/product/137433/rei-co-op-magma-850-down-hoodie-mens

Yes. But it still wouldn’t do what the Chamberlin does. And to layer three together, you would have to go up a size for each one. If you needed a large, you have to have large, extra large, and XX large. Still wouldn’t match the Chamberlin.

74 layers is not the road to happiness. The Chamberlin is half the cost of it’s closest competitor that offers the same fill weight and quality. If someone needs a puff jacket to stay warm for true stationary activity below 30 degrees, it’s the best option right now.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Where does the Sitka Kelvin Down hoody WS fit in? Does it compare to the chamberlain?

Not quite. It has a bit of advantage with the Gore Windstopper, but has significantly less fill.

Worn as above-

Chamberlin= between 15-20 degrees.

Sitka Kelvin Down WS- 25-30 degrees.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks. Good info. How much fill does the chamberlain have?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Formid - what can/do you wear over the chamberlin?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

With 5oz of fill it’s about a 35 degree jacket for complete comfort while absolutely stationary for hours. That’s with wearing a thin base layer, and light to medium fleece (Patagonia R1) under it. If your in the sunlight, you can go lower.

Used a variety of puff jackets the last three weeks from negative 3 or 4 degrees to almost 60. Mostly between low teens and 35 degrees. The Firstlite Chamberlin has no equal in the hunting companies puffys. It’s a solid 20’ish degree jacket when worn as above.

Do you prefer FL over the Kifaru LPP?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks. Good info. How much fill does the chamberlain have?

Right at 11oz in a large.

Originally Posted by cast10K
Formid - what can/do you wear over the chamberlin?

Just a rain/wind shell.

Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Do you prefer FL over the Kifaru LPP?

Not prefer, they’re just different. The Chamberlin and LPP are not in the same class/use category.

I use the heck out of the LPP. It just isn’t suitable for stationary work in truly cold weather. 35-40 degrees and stationary, lower level activity at 15-20 degrees, and movement under load below that- yeah, it does well.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 11/14/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I use the heck out of the LPP. It just isn’t suitable for stationary work in truly cold weather. 35-40 degrees and stationary, lower level activity at 15-20 degrees, and movement under load below that- yeah, it does well.

Is there an Army issue item like the LPP?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My current layering has either a silk weight base or FL Aerowool, then a 240 Peleton, Arcteryx Atom and then the LPP. It has to be cold for me to use the LPP. It’s good glassing in the teens. The Atom might be my favorite clothing item.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Is there an Army issue item like the LPP?

Not really. The ECWS Level 7 is a “high loft” puff jacket, but it’s not really comparable.

Originally Posted by prm
My current layering has either a silk weight base or FL Aerowool, then a 240 Peleton, Arcteryx Atom and then the LPP. It has to be cold for me to use the LPP. It’s good glassing in the teens. The Atom might be my favorite clothing item.

So this is what I’ve talked about in this thread...

So that system is good for glassing in the teens for you. If you wouldn’t mind- what does that mean? Are you sitting completely motionless (I.e. not moving at all, no stomping feet, rubbing arms, etc.). ? If so, for how long? Is that in the sunlight? What are you wearing on your legs?

I ask these things because you have what amounts to a 30-40 degrees sleeping bag as far as loft and insulation, yet without the greater thermal effects of the bag, and your saying you are good to the teens...?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't read the entire thread so this one might have been mentioned. Last month I bought a Marmot Guides Down Hoodie jacket. It's quite packable. 700 fill. A few days ago I was hunting in 4F temps with a light wool shirt and a light fleece vest under it. I was plenty warm. The regular price is $250 but the Amazon has some sizes and colors on a close out for under $200.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.