Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The guide is not "making the call" for you, you are free to hold out for a bigger ram.

The guide is confirming whether the ram is legal, which is his responsibility and his job. If he makes a mistake it could cost him his license, and will certainly diminish his reputation. A guide depends on his reputation.

If a guide makes the determination that a ram is legal, the hunter paying his fee should never have to second guess that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ya, the guides reputation is now chit and it should cost him his license. Referring back to the op's words. He wasn't "trophy" hunting but was in an area legally bound to only take a legal ram as determined by regulations which constitute a legal ram for the hunt unit. It is the guides duty to know these criteria and how to determine such criteria.The PAID guide told him the ram was legal by regulation (HIS JOB) and told the client the ram met the lawful criteria for harvest and the client could do so if he wanted to shoot that ram. Evidently the client was satisfied to try for that ram. The hunter took the shot based on that determination of the guide. Soooo, it's the guides responsibilty in its totality. You pay those big$ to these outfitter/guides to see that you keep out of trouble as they are the ones who are the "professionals". The guide made the wrong call and should be held accountable. Hence, client needs to be reimbursed as a remedy in the least.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
The guide is not "making the call" for you, you are free to hold out for a bigger ram.

The guide is confirming whether the ram is legal, which is his responsibility and his job. If he makes a mistake it could cost him his license, and will certainly diminish his reputation. A guide depends on his reputation.

If a guide makes the determination that a ram is legal, the hunter paying his fee should never have to second guess that.

Stories like this one make me laugh. The law requiring a guide for nonresidents is BS.

Where are the pictures of this sheep?

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's not a "story" it's an opinion and as far as pictures you're asking the wrong person.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's not a "story" it's an opinion and as far as pictures you're asking the wrong person.

Sorry Smoke, wasn't referring to your opinion with mine there. Just quoted you because I agree with your assessment that the hunter is ultimately responsible.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get a lawyer and take him to court. That will result in the only opinion that counts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but would just offer that of the last dozen full-curl rams I have seen photos of, I would say none of them appeared to me to be full curl, as in "...tip of at least one horn has grown through 360 degrees of a circle..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with minimum horn and antler restrictions is the only way to be 100% sure that an illegal animal isn't taken, is you never take a shot. But we know that isn't going to happen. We also no every hunter goes out with the intent to kill an animal. So that leaves a degree of pressure on guides to deliver the goods. If a guide's success rate is too low he'll get negative reviews about his inability to get clients on legal animals or that he tells clients not to shoot legal animals. On the flip side are guides that are too anxious to have clients punch tags.

It's a system that unfortunately is going to lead to illegal animals being taken by mistake or intention, as well as dissatisfied clients.

Either we go back to a 3/4 curl rule, an any ram rule and drastically reduce the number of tags available or we live with the imperfect system we have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a client in Africa hunting many of the plains game with me. He told me of his past hunting in the states.

He bought an auction tag for bighorn in Alberta. He spent an entire middle class life's income on that tag. Over 1 m bucks as it was told to me. He was able to hunt in a park with this special tag and told his guide he would not shoot a ram unless it was the new world record. He hunted every day of the season and finished the hunt without a sheep. None were found that would 100% break the existing record.

The next year he won this tag again, got it for less money as many of the high rollers knew he was in it and they would never outbid him. He again planned on hunting every day of the season or until he killed a new world record. He did shoot a ram after two whole seasons and viewing countless trophies. Unfortunately it missed the new world record by a slim margin. At the point of my meeting him he had not yet entered it into SCI or B&C and said he probably would not since it was not what he had hoped to do. He held no bad feelings for the guide, it was a difficult decision on a very complicated to judge trophy.

The point is, Judging game is easy for many species that have a gender legal status or points with antlers. However many are complicated. I was the best of friends with Duncan Gilchrist for much of my life. He was my hunting mentor and truly one of the greatest outdoorsman to ever have walked the earth. He was also a sheep Fanatic traveling the world to see and film the greatest sheep on earth. He had plenty of horns in his show room and studied them like a religion. Authorities would call and visit him for insight and advice, he taught sheep judging seminars for the FNAWS organisation. I would have never been a great sheep guide with the laws today. I would have had my hunters shoot great big rams or none at all. There is an area of difficulty on the legal or not status of sheep ( and goats) that might just be one of the greatest challenges of trophy judging of almost any big game I can think of.

It's easy to see a big one is legal and a small one is not. However the closer you get to that narrow gap between them the more likely the odds of trouble. It's especially difficult with tired anxious clients and the unimaginable desire of a hard working guide to be successful. ( speaking from plenty of first hand experience here). In reading this, I see the typical and expected negative comments, many could be a perfect bullseye into the capability of the guide. However, that old add-age of walking in somebody else's shoes stands here.

I had an elderly hunter with me 30 years ago in Alaska hunting goat with me. By the middle of the hunt he was cramped sore, blistered and beaten. It was going to be his last mountain hunt and he wanted a big billy in the worst way. With only a couple days left in the hunt we moved to another ridge. I wondered at that time, would I be able to get him back to the lower elevations for the ride out, before he dies on me! Each evening he expressed his gratitude to me and how important this was. Going so far as to say this was worth it to him even if he dies up here trying to manage this hunt. Sarcastic or not it was troubling. However who was I to deny this gentleman the experience of his life, and he chose to do this with me!

The first morning hunt after the ridge change we see an extraordinary billy at 400-500 yards but we are in the path of a wind current that makes it difficult to stand much less shoot. We can close the gap and get around the corner out of the wind with about another 45 min hike. About this time we are settling in and he is catching his breath. He sets up for the shot and after 10minutes says to me " can you just shoot him for me, I cannot hold this gun steady my crosshairs are all over"

I said no, he needed to rest more or calm down and we will have time to wait it out they are bedded. After 30 min he still says he cannot hold the gun steady, I can see his hands trembling. However he now starts in with this being the greatest hunting experience of his life and he is just looking around the snow covered peaks in awe. He has stopped hunting now, its over....... He is talking about the wonders of earth and the beauty of the mountains, and how grateful he was to me for getting him up here.

I suggested to him that he is very calm now, (like he is getting ready for the last goodbye on earth from his mood and commentary). I said just relax and look through the scope, don't even plan to shoot just have a nice look at the big billy to see him. Enjoy this successful stalk and hunt. About 3-4 minutes go by and he says, I think I may be able to shoot! He then said to me "when I shoot will you follow up to make sure we don't lose him". I told him I would try to help anchor the goat if it was hit and in jeopardy of falling off the ledge and we would lose him. The time it took him to pull the trigger seemed forever!

He finally shot at that goat which stood up at the shot and looked back over his shoulder, I fired a shot and that bugger ran up the hill 20 feet reared up and rolled back down. The gentleman hunter was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks. Probably one of the most meaningful and satisfying moments of my whole career up to that point, and few have equaled it since. Maybe also the greatest moment of his life. This is the situation a great respectful and successful guide or professional hunter is up against seasonally. I tend to reflect on this during every hunt since that one. Just how important my roll is in the success and happiness of the client hunter. We as guides and PH's have a desire to win and make the hunt perfectly successful and safe that mere mortals do not understand. The only thing that comes close is that feeling as your kids get old enough to shoot something where you feel more excitement, and happiness for them to shoot their first big game than when you yourself do it. Now imagine that feeling 20 times a year for 30 years or more!

Nobody does this job for the money, it's for the rush, the high, the extraordinary feeling of having a superpower that creates more joy for a man who has created a gigantic successful business worth millions or even billions of dollars, or surgeons that have saved dozens of lives, Athletes that have achieved celebrity status that is astonishing, and you just provided that person with more excitement and happiness than his enormous success or anything else in his life!

This is the underlying part of the choice to shoot at times with complexity and stress, not to mention the haze in a scope, or seeing through the intermittent fog in between you and that last chance trophy. that might be difficult for many folks to understand!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice post JJ.
I think there is always more to the story........

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I had a client in Africa hunting many of the plains game with me. He told me of his past hunting in the states.

He bought an auction tag for bighorn in Alberta. He spent an entire middle class life's income on that tag. Over 1 m bucks as it was told to me. He was able to hunt in a park with this special tag and told his guide he would not shoot a ram unless it was the new world record. He hunted every day of the season and finished the hunt without a sheep. None were found that would 100% break the existing record.

The next year he won this tag again, got it for less money as many of the high rollers knew he was in it and they would never outbid him. He again planned on hunting every day of the season or until he killed a new world record. He did shoot a ram after two whole seasons and viewing countless trophies. Unfortunately it missed the new world record by a slim margin. At the point of my meeting him he had not yet entered it into SCI or B&C and said he probably would not since it was not what he had hoped to do. He held no bad feelings for the guide, it was a difficult decision on a very complicated to judge trophy.

The point is, Judging game is easy for many species that have a gender legal status or points with antlers. However many are complicated. I was the best of friends with Duncan Gilchrist for much of my life. He was my hunting mentor and truly one of the greatest outdoorsman to ever have walked the earth. He was also a sheep Fanatic traveling the world to see and film the greatest sheep on earth. He had plenty of horns in his show room and studied them like a religion. Authorities would call and visit him for insight and advice, he taught sheep judging seminars for the FNAWS organisation. I would have never been a great sheep guide with the laws today. I would have had my hunters shoot great big rams or none at all. There is an area of difficulty on the legal or not status of sheep ( and goats) that might just be one of the greatest challenges of trophy judging of almost any big game I can think of.

It's easy to see a big one is legal and a small one is not. However the closer you get to that narrow gap between them the more likely the odds of trouble. It's especially difficult with tired anxious clients and the unimaginable desire of a hard working guide to be successful. ( speaking from plenty of first hand experience here). In reading this, I see the typical and expected negative comments, many could be a perfect bullseye into the capability of the guide. However, that old add-age of walking in somebody else's shoes stands here.

I had an elderly hunter with me 30 years ago in Alaska hunting goat with me. By the middle of the hunt he was cramped sore, blistered and beaten. It was going to be his last mountain hunt and he wanted a big billy in the worst way. With only a couple days left in the hunt we moved to another ridge. I wondered at that time, would I be able to get him back to the lower elevations for the ride out, before he dies on me! Each evening he expressed his gratitude to me and how important this was. Going so far as to say this was worth it to him even if he dies up here trying to manage this hunt. Sarcastic or not it was troubling. However who was I to deny this gentleman the experience of his life, and he chose to do this with me!

The first morning hunt after the ridge change we see an extraordinary billy at 400-500 yards but we are in the path of a wind current that makes it difficult to stand much less shoot. We can close the gap and get around the corner out of the wind with about another 45 min hike. About this time we are settling in and he is catching his breath. He sets up for the shot and after 10minutes says to me " can you just shoot him for me, I cannot hold this gun steady my crosshairs are all over"

I said no, he needed to rest more or calm down and we will have time to wait it out they are bedded. After 30 min he still says he cannot hold the gun steady, I can see his hands trembling. However he now starts in with this being the greatest hunting experience of his life and he is just looking around the snow covered peaks in awe. He has stopped hunting now, its over....... He is talking about the wonders of earth and the beauty of the mountains, and how grateful he was to me for getting him up here.

I suggested to him that he is very calm now, (like he is getting ready for the last goodbye on earth from his mood and commentary). I said just relax and look through the scope, don't even plan to shoot just have a nice look at the big billy to see him. Enjoy this successful stalk and hunt. About 3-4 minutes go by and he says, I think I may be able to shoot! He then said to me "when I shoot will you follow up to make sure we don't lose him". I told him I would try to help anchor the goat if it was hit and in jeopardy of falling off the ledge and we would lose him. The time it took him to pull the trigger seemed forever!

He finally shot at that goat which stood up at the shot and looked back over his shoulder, I fired a shot and that bugger ran up the hill 20 feet reared up and rolled back down. The gentleman hunter was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks. Probably one of the most meaningful and satisfying moments of my whole career up to that point, and few have equaled it since. Maybe also the greatest moment of his life. This is the situation a great respectful and successful guide or professional hunter is up against seasonally. I tend to reflect on this during every hunt since that one. Just how important my roll is in the success and happiness of the client hunter. We as guides and PH's have a desire to win and make the hunt perfectly successful and safe that mere mortals do not understand. The only thing that comes close is that feeling as your kids get old enough to shoot something where you feel more excitement, and happiness for them to shoot their first big game than when you yourself do it. Now imagine that feeling 20 times a year for 30 years or more!

Nobody does this job for the money, it's for the rush, the high, the extraordinary feeling of having a superpower that creates more joy for a man who has created a gigantic successful business worth millions or even billions of dollars, or surgeons that have saved dozens of lives, Athletes that have achieved celebrity status that is astonishing, and you just provided that person with more excitement and happiness than his enormous success or anything else in his life!

This is the underlying part of the choice to shoot at times with complexity and stress, not to mention the haze in a scope, or seeing through the intermittent fog in between you and that last chance trophy. that might be difficult for many folks to understand!

If the guide was using the age to determine a legal ram it simply meant he was sure it was not full curl... In that situation I suspect the wisdom card you have found with age and experience is neither in his deck, nor likely to be...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sometimes you just gotta pass the shot for many reasons...

As a tenderfoot in Alaska, mountain hunting stired something in me that few activities have equaled. I loved watching sheep after long hikes into Chugach state park, went to the sheep seminars, did my homework, etc. I knew that it was a young mans game and being a resident this was my window to hunt sheep and goat being borderline un-affordable as a non-res.

My first sheep hunt I located a group of 3 rams one of which was big but I couldn’t tell if he was legal. I spent the day getting closer as they were bedded down in a recessed rock outcropping, almost like a cave. I finally managed to get within 300 yards of them and still couldn’t tell if he was a full curl. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t try to count rings at one point or another. I hunted that drainage and neighboring drainages the rest of the week, but kept coming back to him. Every time I would lay there for what seemed like hours behind the spotter but never pulled the trigger.

A couple years later did another sheep hunt though had much more skin in the game this time as I chartered an aircraft. Flew in the day before the opener and while ascending out of the tree line spotted a nice legal ram just hours before the opener. I didn’t even think about shooting and spent the rest of the week looking at either fog or the inside of a tent amid driving rain.

I never got a chance to hunt sheep again but I don’t regret not shooting on either of these accounts. Am I the hunting ethics police? Nope, made bad decisions like everyone else. Took some questionable shots like everyone else, some worked out, some didn’t, you just learn and move on. My point in all of this is no matter how bad you want something, sometimes you just have to pass or at least wait a while longer. In my case the mountain gods later yielded me some great opportunities to hunt mountain goats and was lucky to harvest one solo, which captivated my time in AK mountain hunting.

For the original poster I feel horrible, I can’t imagine laying $ equal to a kids college savings and having it turn out that way. A non-res can’t spend the off season looking at, watching sheep, that is where the guide comes in.

Last edited by TomM1; 03/06/18.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Great read, JJ - thank you for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Thumos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I appreciate those who gave their opinion about my original question. I think we are satisfied with the 50% return. Although I agree that a 100% refund is not unreasonable, like I said before, the outfitter still incurred costs and I know his margins are tight and that both he and the guide are not doing this for money. I am fortunate to be able to afford this hunt, not that it is pocket change by any stretch but I still would feel like I am putting them in a bad spot for taking back all the money. At the end of the day I'd rather sleep with a clear conscience that get a few thousand dollars back. I doubt we will be comfortable going on another hunt with the guide but I appreciate that offer and I think it is one of those deals that just turned out bad for everyone involved. I do not feel that the guide was being grossly negligent. I think he is young and relatively inexperienced and he made a marginal call that came up short.

My intent in posting this was to make sure that I wasn't being a jerk by asking for the 50%. I just wanted the opinion of more experienced people who were looking at it from the outside. As far as all the other comments. I won't attempt to address them all. I will say that as a non resident and someone who has done guided and unguided hunts I feel the guide is ultimately responsible for whether the animal is legal when advising whether or not to shoot. I do think the hunter should question that if they disagree but (especially in this case) that is why I am paying the guide. We were physically able and knowledgable enough to navigate/camps/survive/hunt in a wilderness area. State law and my own inexperience in judging sheep is what prompted me to hire a guide. On the guides end- I can only imagine the pressure they feel. I have what people typically think of as a high stress job but I feel like being a guide for these big dollar hunts would be way more stressful. My hat is off to the guys who are great at it and love it. Because of that maybe I am not being as hard on the guide as it sounds like others would have been.

At the end of the day, even though the ram wasn't deemed legal we came to Alaska, had bad weather, lung busting climbs, put in days without getting a shot and we both ended up making good ethical shots on rams that we stalked. Of course I'm not happy that the ram was deemed too young both for legal as well as conservation/ethical issues but I will never forget when my friend showed back up at camp after a long day and had sheep blood on his hands. I'll always look back on it as him fulfilling a dream in one the last wild places on Earth. I can conjure up the mountains and the wind at a moment's notice and the night sky is just as wonderful whether that ram was a world record or too young. We don't have the horns but we have the memories (good and bad) that before this hunt were only dreams. The grizzly I stalked while it was feeding on blueberries was one of the most awe inspiring moments in nature that I have ever been a part of. I think those are the reasons we all hunt whether we are paying a guide or not and whether or not we take a shot.

Thanks again for the responses.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Well said Thumos.

You are the type of hunter that every guide I know enjoys having in camp.

Josh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've essentially acted as a guide for many friends unfamiliar with our high desert environment, but never taken a cent for my efforts. Also, I've not been faced with making legal/illegal calls. Still I find the pressure to produce almost overwhelming. Have had some hugely frustrating experiences too with some that talk a good story, but could not shoot their way out of a paper bag. Not sure my stomach could handle such if thousands of dollars were involved.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Thumos
I appreciate those who gave their opinion about my original question. I think we are satisfied with the 50% return. Although I agree that a 100% refund is not unreasonable, like I said before, the outfitter still incurred costs and I know his margins are tight and that both he and the guide are not doing this for money. I am fortunate to be able to afford this hunt, not that it is pocket change by any stretch but I still would feel like I am putting them in a bad spot for taking back all the money. At the end of the day I'd rather sleep with a clear conscience that get a few thousand dollars back. I doubt we will be comfortable going on another hunt with the guide but I appreciate that offer and I think it is one of those deals that just turned out bad for everyone involved. I do not feel that the guide was being grossly negligent. I think he is young and relatively inexperienced and he made a marginal call that came up short.

My intent in posting this was to make sure that I wasn't being a jerk by asking for the 50%. I just wanted the opinion of more experienced people who were looking at it from the outside. As far as all the other comments. I won't attempt to address them all. I will say that as a non resident and someone who has done guided and unguided hunts I feel the guide is ultimately responsible for whether the animal is legal when advising whether or not to shoot. I do think the hunter should question that if they disagree but (especially in this case) that is why I am paying the guide. We were physically able and knowledgable enough to navigate/camps/survive/hunt in a wilderness area. State law and my own inexperience in judging sheep is what prompted me to hire a guide. On the guides end- I can only imagine the pressure they feel. I have what people typically think of as a high stress job but I feel like being a guide for these big dollar hunts would be way more stressful. My hat is off to the guys who are great at it and love it. Because of that maybe I am not being as hard on the guide as it sounds like others would have been.

At the end of the day, even though the ram wasn't deemed legal we came to Alaska, had bad weather, lung busting climbs, put in days without getting a shot and we both ended up making good ethical shots on rams that we stalked. Of course I'm not happy that the ram was deemed too young both for legal as well as conservation/ethical issues but I will never forget when my friend showed back up at camp after a long day and had sheep blood on his hands. I'll always look back on it as him fulfilling a dream in one the last wild places on Earth. I can conjure up the mountains and the wind at a moment's notice and the night sky is just as wonderful whether that ram was a world record or too young. We don't have the horns but we have the memories (good and bad) that before this hunt were only dreams. The grizzly I stalked while it was feeding on blueberries was one of the most awe inspiring moments in nature that I have ever been a part of. I think those are the reasons we all hunt whether we are paying a guide or not and whether or not we take a shot.

Thanks again for the responses.

Good on you, sir. Great attitude and I hope you return for another AK experience. Happy that you managed to enjoy what you had that would have been a bitter pill for some.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep kudos to the OP

Great attitude

You’d be welcome at my fire

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Yep kudos to the OP

Great attitude

You’d be welcome at my fire

+1 on the previous two posts. I hope your next experience up here is much more enjoyable. Also hope the guide learns a valuable lesson from this, and is not just telling you what you want to hear.

Jeff

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A guy I know was guiding a moose hunt in the Brooks Range this summer. His client killed a bull that wasn't even CLOSE to being legal. I know because I hauled it all from the river takeout to the hanging shed. In this case, the guide was the ONLY one cited and I believe, the outfitter is doing the hunt over for free- at least that is what he told me he knew he had to do. I have no idea how this guy screwed up that bad and I didn't have a chance to talk to him about it. I did ask him at SCI what they did to him and it was a fairly small fine and he is on probation.

I think if a guide is the one judging the legality of the animal and he screws that up, he is on the hook for the whole thing. Asking for only 50% is being a real gentleman.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 673, 11 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.