-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ, thank you for the depth of your post. Best read in a long time.

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
A guy I know was guiding a moose hunt in the Brooks Range this summer. His client killed a bull that wasn't even CLOSE to being legal. I know because I hauled it all from the river takeout to the hanging shed. In this case, the guide was the ONLY one cited and I believe, the outfitter is doing the hunt over for free- at least that is what he told me he knew he had to do. I have no idea how this guy screwed up that bad and I didn't have a chance to talk to him about it. I did ask him at SCI what they did to him and it was a fairly small fine and he is on probation.

I think if a guide is the one judging the legality of the animal and he screws that up, he is on the hook for the whole thing. Asking for only 50% is being a real gentleman.

This is what happens when an outfitter/registered guide puts an inexperienced assistant guide in the field.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yup. Always found it interesting when someone books a hunt with so and so the master guide then ends up in the field with a new assistant guide while so and so master guide sits at home checking his Inreach.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
JJHACK - Thank you for that post.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Just MY opinion again.
I have never had a guide make a call for me--- to shoot ----or not to shoot.
BUT if I had I would expect to share some of the responsibility.

On a tough decision (as this is being labeled) I would be on my spotting scope also and had some conversation before shooting. I may
also go with the guides opinion, and he may be wrong. Sort it out from there.

I have always wanted to go on a sheep hunt myself, but $ and age have now taken that dream away from me.

I do feel for these guys for the end result of a dream.
Tim

Your pretty hardcore on a first time sheep hunter! Suppose you went to Africa and had to shoot the different animals by their age and not their horns? Do you know enough to get it right every time? In Africa from what I hear the guides make all the calls, you can't just start shooting at whatever you see.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This probably makes no difference to most folks but I'm kind of curious, was the guide an Alaska resident? The reason I ask is because I've heard stories of NR hunters coming up for a guided hunt, only to be guided by a NR that has very little experience hunting the particular animal and or area that they're hunting. Regardless, I feel that if you hire a guide (especially doing a guided sheep hunt with the extremely high cost that they are), and he tells you a particular animal is legal, giving you the go ahead if that's the animal your happy with taking, and it turns out that the guide is wrong, then he should be the one to pay/reimburse for everything.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
rickt300
"...you can't just start shooting at whatever you see."
Who suggested that anywhere??????
My qoute:
"On a tough decision (as this is being labeled) I would be on my spotting scope also and had some conversation before shooting. I may
also go with the guides opinion, and he may be wrong. Sort it out from there."

Was not stated, but I really doubt I would go against the guide and shoot IF the guide said it was NOT legal.
I also do not think I would shoot IF the guide said it was legal and I (with my limited knowledge) did not think it was.
This wasn't just a rabbit hunt in the back of Grandpa's barn.

But hey. The situation is what it was and has to be dealt with justly by those participating.
We are less than even being spectators.
And as noted above "I do feel for these guys for the end result of a dream."
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/11/18.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The weight of responsibility is on the guide. Amateurs hire pros to make the difficult decisions, and sue them for malpractice when they make a bad decision whether in medicine, law or... IMO the original poster here handled it well and pretty graciously.

I've hunted sheep, thinhorn and bighorn, as a resident.

FWIW I decided that I did not want to play along the edges of legal, and that I would not shoot unless the ram was clearly legal. If it was close, probably legal, I think it is legal, etc. I had settled that quandary before the hunt: I would not shoot. This is no criticism of what others do, merely my over cautious solution for me alone, which sooner or later will result in not shooting a legal ram that the hunter could have shot. Tough decision, I know, given the distance, cost and difficulty of getting a shot at any ram.

I was fortunate to have one of the very fine older guides coach me on how to ID a legal full curl ram and how to know when his head was positioned right to get an accurate look. Uphill, angled, etc. can make a sub-legal ram look legal. On an early hunt, a more experienced partner made the right call on a ram below us that was legal by 1 ¾ inches to spare, when I still had doubts. In the field, a guide would have helped my judgment, no doubt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by USMC2602
JJHACK - Thank you for that post.

JJ, An excellent story, well told. Thanks for your time to share that experience from the guide's perspective.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you folks for the comments, I in no way want to derail this from the original posters issues at hand here. I only felt compelled to suggest some insight into the mental state of a responsible hard working guide doing his darnedest to be successful and earn the respect of his hunters.

Guides and PH's do not make much money when things go perfectly, and they stand to lose everything if they have an issue with the law, or safety that destroys their reputation. Especially with the internet today. I have been in very difficult to decide predicaments countless times where safety concerns have conflicted with a very likely successful trophy just out of reach. These are the moment in a career that will really test your self control and responsibility. Not to mention your ability to judge the capability and mental strength of your clients as well. In most cases this is not a red neck good ole boy type of job. It's as responsible a situation between adults as any life and death professional roll on earth. Of course much depends upon where you do this job too!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The tickets that come with under-age/size sheep kills are not free. Who paid those?

I see no problem with asking for ALL your money back for your friend. The guide has consequences atop yours and his was probably spendy.

Judging sheep for age as a test of legal status is ridiculous and it sounds like the guide does this routinely.

Do you have pictures of the sheep you can post?

It is technically against the law to purchase trophies at the auctions from critters you had confiscated from you. It is illegal for you to possess a trophy you took illegally.

Lots of those get used in various ways by ADF&G, like displays to help people understand how to judge a legal sheep, head mounts for schools, and such. I cleaned one up after splitting for the Anchorage office to show what the annuli look like inside the horn.

This is a link to the best piece they put out on judging sheep after the fact...
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/...eep_horns_under_full_curl_regulation.pdf

I agree.

You paid for the guides knowledge to put you onto a legal animal

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I had a client in Africa hunting many of the plains game with me. He told me of his past hunting in the states.

He bought an auction tag for bighorn in Alberta. He spent an entire middle class life's income on that tag. Over 1 m bucks as it was told to me. He was able to hunt in a park with this special tag and told his guide he would not shoot a ram unless it was the new world record. He hunted every day of the season and finished the hunt without a sheep. None were found that would 100% break the existing record.

The next year he won this tag again, got it for less money as many of the high rollers knew he was in it and they would never outbid him. He again planned on hunting every day of the season or until he killed a new world record. He did shoot a ram after two whole seasons and viewing countless trophies. Unfortunately it missed the new world record by a slim margin. At the point of my meeting him he had not yet entered it into SCI or B&C and said he probably would not since it was not what he had hoped to do. He held no bad feelings for the guide, it was a difficult decision on a very complicated to judge trophy.

The point is, Judging game is easy for many species that have a gender legal status or points with antlers. However many are complicated. I was the best of friends with Duncan Gilchrist for much of my life. He was my hunting mentor and truly one of the greatest outdoorsman to ever have walked the earth. He was also a sheep Fanatic traveling the world to see and film the greatest sheep on earth. He had plenty of horns in his show room and studied them like a religion. Authorities would call and visit him for insight and advice, he taught sheep judging seminars for the FNAWS organisation. I would have never been a great sheep guide with the laws today. I would have had my hunters shoot great big rams or none at all. There is an area of difficulty on the legal or not status of sheep ( and goats) that might just be one of the greatest challenges of trophy judging of almost any big game I can think of.

It's easy to see a big one is legal and a small one is not. However the closer you get to that narrow gap between them the more likely the odds of trouble. It's especially difficult with tired anxious clients and the unimaginable desire of a hard working guide to be successful. ( speaking from plenty of first hand experience here). In reading this, I see the typical and expected negative comments, many could be a perfect bullseye into the capability of the guide. However, that old add-age of walking in somebody else's shoes stands here.

I had an elderly hunter with me 30 years ago in Alaska hunting goat with me. By the middle of the hunt he was cramped sore, blistered and beaten. It was going to be his last mountain hunt and he wanted a big billy in the worst way. With only a couple days left in the hunt we moved to another ridge. I wondered at that time, would I be able to get him back to the lower elevations for the ride out, before he dies on me! Each evening he expressed his gratitude to me and how important this was. Going so far as to say this was worth it to him even if he dies up here trying to manage this hunt. Sarcastic or not it was troubling. However who was I to deny this gentleman the experience of his life, and he chose to do this with me!

The first morning hunt after the ridge change we see an extraordinary billy at 400-500 yards but we are in the path of a wind current that makes it difficult to stand much less shoot. We can close the gap and get around the corner out of the wind with about another 45 min hike. About this time we are settling in and he is catching his breath. He sets up for the shot and after 10minutes says to me " can you just shoot him for me, I cannot hold this gun steady my crosshairs are all over"

I said no, he needed to rest more or calm down and we will have time to wait it out they are bedded. After 30 min he still says he cannot hold the gun steady, I can see his hands trembling. However he now starts in with this being the greatest hunting experience of his life and he is just looking around the snow covered peaks in awe. He has stopped hunting now, its over....... He is talking about the wonders of earth and the beauty of the mountains, and how grateful he was to me for getting him up here.

I suggested to him that he is very calm now, (like he is getting ready for the last goodbye on earth from his mood and commentary). I said just relax and look through the scope, don't even plan to shoot just have a nice look at the big billy to see him. Enjoy this successful stalk and hunt. About 3-4 minutes go by and he says, I think I may be able to shoot! He then said to me "when I shoot will you follow up to make sure we don't lose him". I told him I would try to help anchor the goat if it was hit and in jeopardy of falling off the ledge and we would lose him. The time it took him to pull the trigger seemed forever!

He finally shot at that goat which stood up at the shot and looked back over his shoulder, I fired a shot and that bugger ran up the hill 20 feet reared up and rolled back down. The gentleman hunter was crying, tears rolling down his cheeks. Probably one of the most meaningful and satisfying moments of my whole career up to that point, and few have equaled it since. Maybe also the greatest moment of his life. This is the situation a great respectful and successful guide or professional hunter is up against seasonally. I tend to reflect on this during every hunt since that one. Just how important my roll is in the success and happiness of the client hunter. We as guides and PH's have a desire to win and make the hunt perfectly successful and safe that mere mortals do not understand. The only thing that comes close is that feeling as your kids get old enough to shoot something where you feel more excitement, and happiness for them to shoot their first big game than when you yourself do it. Now imagine that feeling 20 times a year for 30 years or more!

Nobody does this job for the money, it's for the rush, the high, the extraordinary feeling of having a superpower that creates more joy for a man who has created a gigantic successful business worth millions or even billions of dollars, or surgeons that have saved dozens of lives, Athletes that have achieved celebrity status that is astonishing, and you just provided that person with more excitement and happiness than his enormous success or anything else in his life!

This is the underlying part of the choice to shoot at times with complexity and stress, not to mention the haze in a scope, or seeing through the intermittent fog in between you and that last chance trophy. that might be difficult for many folks to understand!

He wasn’t hunting in any park in Alberta. Sorry.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are hunting opportunities on more than 85 per cent of the land base in Alberta's parks system. In parks where hunting is allowed, some activities are restricted in order to

Protect sensitive areas and species
Address public safety and wildlife management issues

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me too.

I once passed up a ram (only because he was in bad place, but reachable with difficulty, sun was nearly down, last day of a weekend hunt, would have had to spend the night on the mountain without gear. Would have been late for work...Didn't thing the wife with me would have appreciated a night on the mountain.) that I was certain was legal tho he was below me at a not-good angle at about 300 yards, as the horn tips distinctly pointed back. Had no spotting scope, but clear thru the binocs. I judged him legal on that basis and under better circumstances would have tripped the trigger.

I considered getting a better wife....... , but those are hard to come by. smile

Is this "backward pointing tip" a clear indication of legality? I've never seen it mentioned. Often wondered about that.

Last edited by las; 04/01/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.