Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've seen values for these guns all over the place. I recently came across a 30-06 Featherweight Stainless made in the South Carolina Plant. The barrels were stamped Baco INC Morgan Utah, but they were actually made in SC. From my understanding, these guns were only made here for a short period, but the quality was much better than the later made New Haven ones. The gun itself has been used. The barrel is mint, but the stock has a few nicks that have been touched up. I'd say 90% grade on the stock itself. What value would you place on this gun? I know I've rarely seen them come up for sale in standard calibers.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm stayin' outta this one.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK Redneck, I'll say it.

The BACO triggers really kill the interest of people who really know a great hunting trigger. See Redneck above.

The 5 and 6 digit Classic's from 1992-2002 are much more desireable.

Good news is, they can still be had if your patient. For the same or even less than a new BACO. For how much longer?

Good Shootin'

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Browning arms co. .... it may not be desirable to some of us, but hes looking for value. Id say its probably worth 750. Maybe

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I appreciate all the feedback, even if negative. I want to learn about the gun. I will say I've read guys that have had both and preferred the FN versions. To each their own I guess.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Browning arms co. .... it may not be desirable to some of us, but hes looking for value. Id say its probably worth 750. Maybe

$800 only if the stock dings had not been messed with. With an amateur attempt to touch it up, I'd say $650 max because you will need to strip and redo the stock or pay a professional.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I seen some of those sc made featherweights and the stock to metal fitting was not very good. Would definitely need to be bedded. Me personally wouldn’t give much more the $750 for one.. But guys see Winchester still don’t have clue they are no longer made in New Haven and slap $1000 price tags on them..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by andymick32
I appreciate all the feedback, even if negative. I want to learn about the gun. I will say I've read guys that have had both and preferred the FN versions. To each their own I guess.

Although the trigger isn't the old style, on the couple that I've owned and shot, the trigger is more than serviceable. To me, it's a lot of fuss over not a big deal. My biggest bitch with the BACO Featherweight rifles is actually the stock. At some point the stock gained some weight/girth in the foreend and grip area. I'm a much bigger fan of the New Haven Featherweight stocks. But like you said to each their own.

My guess is the gun will shoot good. I have yet to see one that won't but again, my sample is small. So far as value, I'd be thinking $600-700 or maybe a bit less just due to condition. But you're right, the values are kind of all over the place with them.

Best of luck,
Rob

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I should note, I plan on using the gun to hunt whitetails with, it wouldn't be a safe queen, so it would gain some more nicks here and there. I'm not a collector, just appreciate the looks and quality of the gun.

Can anyone tell me how long these were made in SC? I've only ever even seen a few for sale that were produced there.

Last edited by andymick32; 03/01/18.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just bought classic feather wieght 6.5 Swede for 650 bucks looks almost new with the bluing and it came with vx11 2x7 scope

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mooshoo
I just bought classic feather wieght 6.5 Swede for 650 bucks looks almost new with the bluing and it came with vx11 2x7 scope

Non-stainless?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I should note, I plan on using the gun to hunt whitetails with, it wouldn't be a safe queen, so it would gain some more nicks here and there. I'm not a collector, just appreciate the looks and quality of the gun.

Can anyone tell me how long these were made in SC? I've only ever even seen a few for sale that were produced there.

2007 to 2013 according to wikipedia.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Most guy's are guessing the value of this rifle much higher than I...$600-650 would be tops in My book from what you explained......Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the same rifle as the OP questioned about. Mine is well put together, accurate with a number of factory loads as well as handloads, and the trigger is decent with a spring from Ernie’s. Its not a flyweight rifle, though called a “featherweight,” and maybe not as desirable as a New Haven 5 digit rifle, but a really good overall rifle. It is correct that they were only produced in SC for a few years before being discontinued for just blued featherweights, and having assembly moved to Portugal. The price has slowly been creeping up on them, but I’m sure the announcement of Win producing stainless featherweights with dark maple stocks, and stainless super grades scheduled for delivery later this year will stop any further increase in prices. Its still an all US made rifle, and that alone is desirable to some, and a nice rifle. It just matters if you like it, and if the price is reasonable to you.

Craig

Last edited by Capt_Craig; 03/01/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

2007 to 2013 according to wikipedia.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have two Winchester model 70 “BACO” rifles: a blued Featherweight, and a blued Sporter. Both are 30-06. Nothing wrong with the triggers.

I’ve owned pre-64 version sporter ( early 1950’s vintage). I like the BACO rifles much better. They are very well made, and made/assembled in the USA.

Price of a stainless BACO? If it is $700-800, grab it. You’ll love it.

Can anyone name another rifle with the level of quality for the same price?

Last edited by buttstock; 03/01/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by buttstock
I have two Winchester model 70 “BACO” rifles: a blued Featherweight, and a blued Sporter. Both are 30-06. Nothing wrong with the triggers.

I’ve owned pre-64 version sporter ( early 1950’s vintage). I like the BACO rifles much better. They are very well made, and made/assembled in the USA.

Id buy a tikka

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 3, 1 New Haven a 308 Win SS walnut featherweight and 2 BACO, SC produced SS Featherweights in 270 and 30-06. The BACO guns are FAR and AWAY better than the New haven gun in fit and finish, accuracy and trigger. And the New Haven gun is '94 production. I could not get that wonderful "pre-BACO" trigger on the New Haven gun below about 3.25 pounds and and still pass the butt bump test, where my BACO's are set at 2.5 pounds and the sears don't trip when given the same test. Technoman26, I am puzzled about the comment you made about the featherweight stocks gaining some weight/girth over the New Haven guns. My BACO stocks (both long action) weigh 1 and 1.5 ounces lighter than the New Haven guns (short action) stock. Maybe that difference is just wood density differences because all of thee stocks are factory hollowed out in the butt a'la featherweight style. I cannot tell any difference in the wrist and fore end girth when holding all three guns. Individual guns may vary, but this is my sample of three. RJ

Last edited by rj308; 03/02/18.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Glad I am not the only one who thinks the later fwt stocks are a bit bigger in the hands. I like the earlier ones better, just my personal preference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buttstock

I'd buy a Classic Stainless, pre '03.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 58 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.