Print Thread
Hop To
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Warren Page was the Guns editor for Field and Stream for twenty-four years from about the mid-forties to the early seventies. Unless you are very old you may not have heard of him for he stood in the shadow of Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith. He only came to my attention when I read the books of legendary Alaska bear guide Ralph Young a couple of years ago. Young seemed to regard him highly. I made no special effort to research what he wrote and it was only recently that "One Man's Wilderness" came to my attention.

The book consists of 50 chapters, most of which are reprints from F&S but with some new material. Page was at least as good a writer as JOC and certainly more likable if his own writing is a guide -- no where in these pages is their any hint of grumpiness or braggadocio. Of course, he easily outshines Keith in both those attributes. He was a graduate of Harvard back when a Harvard degree meant something and it shows in both his ability with the pen and also the erudition that occasionally bursts through the page.

Warren Kempton Page (1910 - 1977) was born in New England and wasn't a gun nut in his youth. He went to Harvard on a baseball scholarship. After Harvard he taught at a prep school, then served in the navy as a lieutenant. At some point he "got on the bottle" as they say but licked this addiction and eventually applied for the fishing editorship of F&S but since that job was taken he was hired on as the shooting editor and began an intensive self course in guns and shooting. An athlete, he became quite a good shooter.

Page didn't "push" cartridges the way O'Connor pushed the .270 WCF, but he used the various big 7s, from the Remington Magnum on up more exclusively than O'Connor used the .270. He took lion and leopard with them but for the big stuff his other favored caliber was the .375 Weatherby. He hunted world wide and ended up with about 15 African safaris under his belt.

The last chapter of his book, on the probably future of hunting, is a masterpiece.

Recommend.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I must be very old I remember him well. the 7mm Mashburn mag. was a favorite of his... Never met the man, but he certainly got around..

I never felt Keith was grumpy or a braggart, met his several times and he was very friendly and sociable.. He simply told how he felt, with out the sarcasm of JOC.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I believe Page was also a benchrest shooter of note, ended up in the hall of fame. His book The Accurate Rifle is a classic also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.