Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just picked up a 3R 6.8 SPC II barrel from AR15performance oit of Key West, FL. Can't wait to see how the 3R button rifling performs.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had 3-G P-N barrels shoot amazing, and 5R.......and "CHOSE 4-G" when I could have had 5.......

Odds are a good barrel will out shoot what we can hold

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have 5 R barrels from Rock Creek and I find that they do not foul and are extremely easy to clean

Just curious you say "they do not foul".........Then why even clean ???????

I have never owned such a barrel, every barrel I have will carbon foul or copper foul eventually.

I have a 5R X-caliber barrel that is a nightmare and a 5C Broughton that seems to be a great barrel.

Boots Obermeyer was the originator of the 5R barrel, he states to be a 5R it must be cut rifled hence Broughton calls their's a 5C because it is button rifled. How does Pac-Nor and Remington call them 5R when Pac-Nor is button rifled and Remington is hammer forged ???

A wet patch and a few dry ones is all I’ve ever needed on my barrel. I’d say that is easy.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I also have a 5R that was made by obermeyer in 300 win. it is very accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been interesting reading this thread. I'll share what I know to clear up a few misconceptions;
Boots Obermeyer did not "invent" the 5-R rifling pattern. He got it off the Russians. When the AK-74 was introduced by the Russians, Boots was asked by the gubmint to produce barrels to T&E the 5.45x39 ammo that was captured. He produced barrels in multiple configurations all with the 5-R being the most consistent. The "R" in 5-R is "Russian". Boots being a match shooter adopted it for his highpower and long range barrels where they did well. When the Army was developing their M-24, a 5-R barrel was spec'd. Mike Rock who apprenticed with Boots and whom Boots taught how to cut the compound angles of the Russian pattern produced the prototypes. When the M-24 was adopted and put into production, Remington elected to part ways with Rock and invested in the hammer forging tooling to produce their own 5-R barrels.

I don't know if a 5-R barrel is inherently more accurate but they're certainly not a detriment. I believe that the execution in producing the barrel probably has a greater influence, and Boots is/was one of the best so naturally his 5-R's shot. Boots would says that the 5-R pattern produced less stress on the bullet jacket when you were pushing a bullet hard.

There's more color and detail to the story, but this is what Boots had shared with me during our conversations. Fascinating man. I hope ole Barret J recovers and returns to barrel making.

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/31/18.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very informative post.

Thanks.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't know but I suspect a little more care goes into the Remington 5R barrels and the hammer forging mandrels may get less wear or be replaced sooner than the regular production run of barrels. I think this is true of the 40X rifle barrels even with conventional rifling. They can be easier to clean and sometimes produce slightly higher velocity but hard to generalize about all of them. I have not heard of any negatives to them. My experience is with Bartleins and you would expect anything they turn out to be good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bartlein states that the 5 R is not any more accurate than their 4 groove.

Popularity drives sales.

I have more than a few of 5R in various calibers and one 3R in a 6 Dasher. They are all accurate and easy to clean like all custom barrels. As to whether or not one is more accurate than the other, I could not say that.

Bore uniformity from one to the other, with perhaps a .0002 choke toward the muzzle is what I like the most. 4 groove and 6 groove of top brands will not fail you, and I have never had a bad three groove from several makers.

Getting a good straight chamber in line with the bore is way up on my list vs. groove design or number of grooves.

When I was shooting Benchrest Competition, there was a saying going around, that if a guy showed up with a Wheel on the side of his scope, and he won the match, then at the next match, everyone would have a wheel on their scope.

I have ran into two very good gunsmiths that will refuse to chamber a 5 R barrel due to the increased chance of reamer chatter, and I am not expert in this at all. My 5 and 3 R's came off without a hitch.

I think that it is nothing short of amazing how one group or type of barrels are popular with Benchrest shooters, then another with Tactical shooters, etc.

Note, I don't think that Remington his hammer forging their barrels now, they are made in Alabama. They bought all the barrel making equipment from what is now X caliber and moved that equipment from Montana to Alabama. X caliber folks did not want to move, and they started their own company, now making some fabulous barrels.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have chambered a bunch of 3, 5,.and 6R barrels never had a hint of chatter in any of them.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Dusty, in the two that I have chambered, I never had a problem. One of those things that make you go hummm........eh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
odd groove barrels are about all I try to stay with these days. Easier on the bullets and pressures to start with. Never had an accuracy issue with them either. Actually can say the only accuracy issues I've ever really had are 3 Douglas barrels, and I'll never ever run one again. By 3 seperate smiths on top of it just to try. Even Mickey talked me into my LAST one.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done 5R shilen 6.5-06 and 5R Benchmark 6mmBR and 7mmRM.

Just like any custom barrel that was hand lapped at the factory, they shoot so much better than me, I can't tell a difference.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have done 5R shilen .

This is interesting, mostly because Shilen does not make a 5R ???????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 groove Krieger's for me!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have done 5R shilen .

You are correct. They make a 4 groove Ratchet. A good barrel is a good barrel.
Bart Sauter just shot a new 5 shot World Record, .282, at 600 yards. He used a 4 groove Lederer barrel.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have done 5R shilen .

Thebarrelman.com Customer Invoice

25 Highland Park Village
Suite 100-573 P. O. Number:
Dallas, TX 75205 CPO 1423
214.405.8981 Date:
Email: thebarrelmanwans.net 2/3/2014

Ship To Address
Clark Magnuson

Quanity Description Price

2 #3 Stainless select match Caliber 308x13 Ratchet twist $510.00
1 #3 Stainless select match Caliber 6.5x8 Ratchet twist $255.00
1 #3 Stainless select match Caliber 257x9 $255.00

I guess I made an erroneous assumption that "Ratchet twist" is "5R"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.