Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Two years back I posted my efforts in restoration of a model 70 mfg in 1948 with the dolls head tang.

The rifle had been well used and the stock was beaten up pretty much beyond use. I made a new stock and decided to have the pancake cheek piece found on the '48 period Super Grade. It was pointed out to me that the standard grade did not have such a scope cheek piece till later in the 50's and was not true to the restoration. None the less, since I had already formed it and was in the process of fitting it to the barrel and receiver, I went ahead and finished it.

Though I had planned on re-blueing it, after considering the forum advice on leaving the blueing on the rifle as-is and not do a re-blue, I decided to leave it as it was. All things considered, it worked out pretty well.

The result was very satisfying and if I do say so, not a bad job. So much so that I'm paranoid now about taking out and shooting lest I somehow damage untold months of work.

So, I thought I'd ask the experts if you know of a drop-in stock for a transition model 70? I checked with boyd's and they have a pre-war II stock but cannot be sure it would fit a '48 transition. I thought I'd poll you all to see if anyone has found a composite or artificial material stock that was a drop in for a transition model with the dolls head tang?

I'd like for a drop in 'cause I've already got two major projects I'm 30% into and I need another fit and finish job like rocks in my head.

Advice and wisdom is appreciated.

Ken

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep your eye on Ebay, maybe Gunbroker as well.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I should probably be beaten for doing so, but my go-to ‘ol reliable deer gun is a 47 transition super grade I bought at a show in very worn condition. I shot it as it was but ultimately wanted a better stock for scope use. I purchased a Mcmillan pre 64 inlet stock on sale from them and had my action bedded. The gap around the tang was filled with bedding compound and blended to the rest of the stock. I have another wood match stock done the same way for a pre war action.

Just an idea.

Best

CP

Last edited by aggiecubpilot; 12/06/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not a M70 expert by any means but I'm guessing most reading your post are saying, "let's see some pictures of your finished project!

TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll try to figure out again how to embed photo's into the Reply boxes when I can. I had surgery recently and the doc has clipped my wings for a month or so... once he gives the ok, I'll try to get a photo of it in this thread. In the meantime, if anyone has had experience I'd appreciate their sharing it.

All I can do now is do a reply on the original query I did in 2015 to bring it up to current date to show what it looked like as I was fitting it to the receiver.

Ken

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
McMillan will fit any stock to your cloverleaf tang action. They do a very good job, but you need to send the barreled action in to them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since your Transition has a cloverleaf (doll's head in your words) a standard preWar stock will be just fine. The earlier ones, pre 1941 if I recall correctly had finer checkering, 22 LPI than the later ones, 18 LPI is the only difference on a standard stock.

Only Super Grades and Special Orders had cheekpieces; 1952 began the higher comb Monte Carlo option, but that is only a higher comb, not a cheekpiece on Standards and Featherweights.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Brown precision will also make you a stock of that transition. I am fortunate enough to have two guns that are in brown stocks. Unfortunately there is not to my knowledge any manufacturer who makes a drop in stock for the cloverleaf. I own quite a few transition guns, and it is always a source of frustration for me. Your other option is to keep an eye on the usual resellers like eBay and Gun broker and hope someone is selling a stock for you at a good price.

Last edited by aguyinAK; 12/09/17.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was looking over my earlier text and realized it was not 2 years later but 3 years since I embarked on what I thought would be a 6 month effort. After 3 years with one broken leg, shoulder surgery and the devils own time fitting later, it’s done.

The first photo was when I posted in 2015 at what I thought would be another couple of months.

[Linked Image]

The next photo’s are of the finished product, a 1948 transition model with the '52 type stock. The scope mount is a Buehler base and I plan on putting the weaver K4 that was on the rifle when I bought it.

I decided to not use the Brownells French Red for the stain since it was pointed out that the pancake stock wasn’t brought out until 1952. So I decided on a Moorish Teak stain and satin finish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And just to prove I’m a glutton for punishment I’m making a second one to see how it looks in French Red.

Muledeer has it right…. Rifle looney is a good description.

Last edited by TCRken; 02/28/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beautiful job on the stock. Pre War and transitions are the same as far as fit.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice, and inspiring to some of us that are not as gifted. I really like the stain/finish you used, it looks great.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks very good!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Enjoyed the post!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very nice indeed!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.