Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I didn't see it. So please indulge me. 11 weeks ago I had extensive, and complicated spinal surgery. I'm doing really good right now, but just found out from my surgeon that a 12 gauge pump will be too much recoil for me right now. So, interested in some insight into which 20 gauge semi-auto to look at. 20 gauge is the smallest gauge shotgun for turkey here in Illinois. Thanks in advance, Dean.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would look for a Remington 1100 Magnum made before 1977. They used a 12 ga receiver which would make them about the heaviest 20 ga around. Failing that, whatever the heaviest, gas operated, 20 ga you can find would be my pick. Whatever you end up with, remove the buttplate or recoil pad and add some lead to the hole. Add some more weight to the fore end with either a weighted fore end cap or a clamp on barrel weight. Personally, I would choose a 12 ga gas operated semi-auto and adjust my loads. It would probably mean reloading or at least an adjustment in how and where I hunt as range may be affected.

Most think a 20 ga has less recoil than a 12 ga but they are wrong as the 20 ga is usually lighter and will recoil more than a 12 ga with similar loads. If a 1 1/4 oz load at 1200 fps is used, the recoil of a 7 pound 20 ga is going to be greater than the same load in an 8.5 pound 12 ga of the same type. You just can't get around that Newton guy and his laws.

Recoil is reduced by increasing gun weight, lowering shot weight, and reducing shot velocity. There is no other way of doing so. A gas operated semiautomatic will have the same amount of total recoil as a fixed breach gun like a pump but the recoil will be distributed over a longer time interval and feel "softer". The same effect occurs with recoil pads but not to quite as great of effect. Add a stock which is properly fitted to you and the "feel" of recoil can be reduced.

Back/spine problems are real buggers and are very problematic when healing. The least little injury can set recovery back months and can easily affect one the rest of their life. It might be a consideration to skip one year of turkey hunting to allow your back to heal rather than potentially reinjure it and have problems for life. You give the impression your surgery will heal allowing you to resume a normal lifestyle later and it makes no sense to risk that prognosis for a turkey. Sometimes one has to suck it up and look at what is best in the long run rather than short term. I've had to forgo significant portions of the last two hunting seasons due to injuries but it will be worth it in the long run as I recovered fully. Now, I just wish I wouldn't have pushed things with my recent knee surgery.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A 12 gauge 1100 or 1187 with an ounce and an eighth of 6s would be a pussycat to shoot and probably pattern way better than a 20 gauge. Federal sells such a load. Feet per second are 1250 or so. A short magnum / express 12 will get you a quarter oz. more shot and a little more speed, probably not worth the recoil.

Last edited by Mike_S; 03/05/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope this thread helps.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I will say that a 3 1/2in turkey load out of my xtrema2 kicks no more than a 3in turkey load out of my benelli 20ga M1. If you move on turkeys a lot, the nice thing about a 20ga is the weight. My 9yo son will be shooting a franchi affinity 20 this year and I found some Federal 2 3/4 heavyweights no 7s to shoot out of it with the kick of a target load. A good recoil pad makes a huge difference also.

Honestly, the best to look into would be a benelli m2, the franchi affinity handles nice and has a great feel but does not handle light loads well. My sons and my buddies will only cycle heavy target/game loads...if that is all you will be shooting you should be fine.

Last edited by killerv; 03/06/18.
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Federal sells a 12ga 1 1/4oz load of heavyweight sevens. That will probably work just to forty yards with a standard full choke. You can make your pump heavier with weight in the butt, and maybe adding weight to the magazine tube or cap depending on the model.

Going to 20ga you're down to 1 1/8oz from Federal and a couple hundred fps slower. That's better, but I haven't tried it to see if it'll do 40 yards. The 1 1/2oz version will I know. A dedicated turkey rig would be a Weatherby SA459 with the lighter load, an aftermarket choke made for that load and a hard limit of forty yards. You would have to add weight to the gun. If you go the Federal Heavyweight route, and get it working, stock up on the ammo. Investing in a choke stinks if the ammo it liked is discontinued.

I just did up a 7/8oz 20 gauge handload for my boy. Using #10 tungsten, it was tight enough to go to fifty yards. I actually had to fiddle with the wad and choke to open it up to make it easier to hit with. You could do something like that and get a light 20 gauge to shoot it from. You'd have to add weight to the gun, but the recoil would be quite light. I would recommend a Beretta auto if you're going to want to shoot light loads.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the beretta 391

By the way, I think I know you.

Did you ever shoot at Downers Grove Trap Club off off Lemont road?

Or Troy Sportsmans club?

Or maywood?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
onestraight, I never shot at any of those places, but know a lot of people that did, and do. I've spent all my time shooting up at the Bristol Shooting Ranges, only range I go to. PM me if you feel like it, thanks.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 12 with lighter loads will have less recoil as mentioned, but there is a trade-off here: weight. It may not be fun toting an 8lb 12 around post surgery either. It is definitely a cheaper option to run what you have and now days, there are some pretty solid lighter 12ga turkey loads. I'd run the 2-3/4" Winchester longbeard load if I went that route. FWIW don't be scared to shoot them with really low recoil loads such as 1-1/8oz #7.5 field loads if low recoil is the ultimate goal. I've carried kids while using low brass #7.5 loads and they are solid on paper to 35yds(Providing well over 100 in the 10 in turkey chokes).

A light weight 20ga is a joy to carry and it's hard to go back to a 12 once you make the switch. The same can be said for loads in the 20 as well, several low recoil options and a gas semi auto is pretty easy on the shoulder. The low velocity EM Hevi Shot loads are easy on the shoulder and kill well. Winchester's new 1000fps LBXR load is a pu$$ycat as well. TSS is the ultimate and most versatile, but you have to pay to play.

If you do decide to go with a 20, I suggest to stay away from inertia guns due to recoil. Berreta is king on gas autos in 20ga, but the Weatherby SA459 or SA08 are solid 20ga gas autos as well that should be considered. Brownchester's gas 20s are nice, but heavy for what they are.

Good Luck,

loder

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dean I purcased a Bennelli M2 20 gauge last year it does not seem to recoil as much as my 12 gauge 1187 with 3" magnum lead #5's. It is pretty light though. Points like a champ and harvests gobblers well to 40 with hevi 6's. Pretty sweet for dove hunting as well. Hope that back surgery works out for you.

Good luck and shoot straight

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Remington 870 Youth, and a 11-87 Youth in 20 gauge. I bought them for the grandkids, but I've ended up using them instead. Neither kicks a lot when compared to the 3 and 3 1/2 12 gauge turkey loads. I have shoulder problems, and have quit shooting the 3 1/2 inch 12's, though I do occasionally shoot a 3 inch 12 some. The 20's work just fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 20 gauge Bennelli Montefeltro is one of the nicest shooting little shotguns I've ever had the pleasure to own and shoot. Granted, I only shot 2 3/4" trap and field loads, but even those felt like a 22LR. My DIL's 20 gauge 870 doesn't kick hard with the 3" turkey loads. And it's a youth model. I think if you found the full-size 870 in a 20, you's be happy with the level of recoil.

By the way, I had back surgery in 2015 and still deal with complications. That didn't decrease my recoil tolerance, which wasn't that significant anyway!

Good luck with your recovery.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=taz4570]The 20 gauge Bennelli Montefeltro is one of the nicest shooting little shotguns I've ever had the pleasure to own and shoot. Granted, I only shot 2 3/4" trap and field loads, but even those felt like a 22LR. My DIL's 20 gauge 870 doesn't kick hard with the 3" turkey loads.

This ^^^^may be your “Huckleberry”. Truth be told. Never owned one. Threw one up a couple of times trying to persuade myself to buy it, but I have a Browning A5 in 20 gauge that I just love how it kicks the hell out of me 🤣

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Any shotgun load that will reliably kill a squirrel will kill a turkeys head. You don't have to have a magnum load of shot to do it. You need a load that patterns well at the range you plan to shoot. If it were me I would pick a gas operated gun and have one of the best recoil pads installed if it doesn't come with one.
Several years ago when we had a fall turkey season I was squirrel hunting with a 20 using Winchester heavy field load #6. I heard a flock of Turkeys coming toward me and set up behind a tree. About 30 of them were coming right to me. When they got into the range where I would typically shoot at squirrels I picked out the one with the biggest beard and shot it in the head.
It flattened the turkey and I stepped off 35 yards.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My son has a stoger 3020 that is a Benelli knock-off. I'd get that. I love that little 20.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Went through this last year,. Neck and back injuries then 2 whiplashs tried light loads in my 12 ga and increasing the weight by adding a scope and Mercury piston. It helped but consulted with choke and shell manufacturer and most recommend Winchester sx3 20 GA turkey as the softest shooting shotgun they knew of. Bought one last year, it's one of the heavier 20 GA. Weighs more than my win 1300 12 ga turkey gun, added a 1x vortex scope for a little more weight. With Federal heavyweight#7 2 3/4" loads it's amazing and patterns beautifully at 40 yds. First time I shot a turkey that didn't even twitch when hit.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey guys, thanks for the concern and information, truly appreciated. Definitely have some things to consider and check out. Good luck out there, be safe. Dean

NRA life member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll throw in a late choice...

I just bought a franchi affinity 20 ga 26 inch new style one with drilled and tapped receiver. Its a 6 pound gun and has run flawlessly with the box of 7/8 oz loads I tried.

It moves you and the only way I would recommend it is if you add lead to the butt stock until you recover.

This will be my old age turkey gun, but for now its my trap club loaner to women that struggle with my heavier 12 gauge affinity. (the 12 never misses a beat so I bought the 20 too)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger
I'll throw in a late choice...

I just bought a franchi affinity 20 ga 26 inch new style one with drilled and tapped receiver. Its a 6 pound gun and has run flawlessly with the box of 7/8 oz loads I tried.

It moves you and the only way I would recommend it is if you add lead to the butt stock until you recover.

This will be my old age turkey gun, but for now its my trap club loaner to women that struggle with my heavier 12 gauge affinity. (the 12 never misses a beat so I bought the 20 too)

I have the exact same shotgun and love it.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My daughter has a Winchester SXP 20, turkey gun that I do like quite a bit as well. It's a short barreled little camo gun. Sling swivels, D&T reciever, and a Primos Jellyhead choke.

It patterns great with Hevishot #5 or Federal Hevyweight #7's.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.