Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by WAM
Maybe the new system will prompt more folks to apply, but if they are doing the preference point option only it should not cause too much creep for most units. It may be a problem for nonresident hunters in a few years if a hunt falls into the point required category to where 10% of tags versus 35% of tags are available to nonresidents. I fail to see how Bubba has more available credit on his card in June than in April. In the unit I hunt most of the deer tags are drawn with 1 or more points and a couple hundred are drawn with 0 points. So if Bubba applies for that unit with points, he will be drawn and back to 0. Bull elk is an Unlimited License so not an issue for me. I suppose if it gets too hard, I’ll hunt elsewhere. Happy Trails

Yes,but Bubba can now put in for sheep,goat, moose with little expectation of drawing a tag,but still get pref points and not worry about this card getting hit.In addition he can put in 1st choice for units like 201 and 10 and then put in for 2nd choice for an easy to draw unit or buy an OTC tag..As long as he draws some tag, buys an OTC or small game licensee, he won't get hit with the pref point fee. Each of these scenarios will effect point creep, how much depends on how many more Bubbas will apply.A lot of hunters who will buy an OTC tag will most probably put in for draw of some sort also.

Bubba here....... wink

I've been loading my credit cards and spending a ton of money in Colorado for a very long time.

I put in for the hard to pull tags year after year and don't expect to ever pull a sheep, goat or moose tag before I die

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another “bubba” here as well and, yes, not having to provide Colorado with a short term loan certainly influenced my decision to start this year. (Already was laying out a big chunk of change for Africa this year so would have applied next year). I started applying for sheep, moose, and goat in other states as well, so it wasn’t totally out of character. Want a freaking sheep before I die and need to start getting the points!

Also, I bought the fishing license but noticed that Colorado will force a nonresident to buy one anyway when applying for the premium animals (per a tiny blurb at the bottom).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. For a long time I was strong supporter of pp but last few yrs I changed my way of thinking. Not a fan of pp anymore, Idaho and Alaska have the fairest system out there.. I’m sure most will disagree..

Last edited by 79S; 03/14/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
PPs were not a problem before it got to the point that it's impossible to draw some tags.

Problem is, if they wanted to do away with the current system all the guys who've been putting in for 20 years would be screwed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
PPs were not a problem before it got to the point that it's impossible to draw some tags.

Problem is, if they wanted to do away with the current system all the guys who've been putting in for 20 years would be screwed.

I agree Smoke, but I bet some thing will change in the next 5 years, but CPW just has not figured out how . They could stop issuing them , but honor what is already awarded That might take 15 years to even out, but no newbies would draw a tag until them in certain units.This new application method might just accelerate the entire mess

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Every system has its warts. Just be glad you don’t have a sorryazzed bonus point system like WA and others. Just a crap shoot. So what if you have 12 points that equates to 144 “tickets” in the draw when 90% of the others in the draw have a ton of bonus points squared? The guy with one point in the bucket can still draw the tag and you sit home. Like the other fools, I still apply for some quality hunts but don’t waste money on points only options in a bonus point system. We drew more special/limited hunt permits when it was just a random draw. The Bonus point system is just a revenue scheme for the state. I just get a resident license and enjoy the scenery away from the October Orange Army. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a side note regarding the new CO process. Last night I started wishing I had done a different sheep unit. Got messing around on the new site and discovered that for $3, I could change my application that had already been submitted. Pretty nice actually.

I would not delay creating an account and getting your apps in. I still anticipate last minute issues for those who delay this year.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Preference points won't mean much in a few years. They barely matter now for premium units...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not sure I can even comprehend what Colorado’s project model is in game management as far as draws and OTC tags go. Been studying the chit out of the system prior to putting in for all species last week. I just can’t wrap my head around having to draw a deer tag and then competing with every single OTC elk hunter from Georgia to Washington in the same unit at the same time your hunting deer. I’m trying to remain optimistic about this coming fall but I really sense a goat rope in the making. Sure seems to me like all Colorado wants to do is sell as many tags as possible.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I’m not sure I can even comprehend what Colorado’s project model is in game management as far as draws and OTC tags go. Been studying the chit out of the system prior to putting in for all species last week. I just can’t wrap my head around having to draw a deer tag and then competing with every single OTC elk hunter from Georgia to Washington in the same unit at the same time your hunting deer. I’m trying to remain optimistic about this coming fall but I really sense a goat rope in the making. Sure seems to me like all Colorado wants to do is sell as many tags as possible.

It is a goat rope.... near roads, campgrounds, ATV trails, Starbucks, etc.

Millions of acres of public land..... quit bitching.... start scouting.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

It is a goat rope.... near roads, campgrounds, ATV trails, Starbucks, etc.

Millions of acres of public land..... quit bitching.... start scouting.

Same or worse in Washington during all general seasons, especially weekends. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WAM

Same or worse in Washington during all general seasons, especially weekends. Happy Trails

I’ve been a part of that Winthrop/Twist Orange Army pumpkin patch once or twice.... its a friggin’ mess.

That being said..... I’ve enjoyed many days of virtual solitude in the hills surrounding Mt. Baker chasing deer, bears, and cats on general OTC tags.

Same rule still applies...... the further you are from a road.... the further you are from the goat ropin’.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At least Washington gives ya 5 days without cow and spike hunters when you draw a good eastside tag. Oregon dumps em allay the same time

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.