Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Since your stock is a factory one there's really no need to measure yours but THANKS anyways. I'm just keeping track of what's out there for M98's that might have short fore ends. My M98 has a 20" bb and I just don't like the looks of a full length fore end on it. I shortened the fore end on a Choate M98 stock 3" for my short bbl'd HVA 1640. Got another one coming so I'll just do it to.

Earl

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by BCJR
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
30-06 has probably slayed more moose in Alaska than any other caiber.

+1.
I will bet the '06 has killed more bears too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ is your answer. Even if it may not be what you want to hear,

Mike McDonald, retired chief biologist for ADF&G, once told me that more brown and grizzly bears were killed in defense of life & property (DLP) with a .30-06 and 180gr cup & core bullets than any other combo. This was based on the necropsies and reports that have to be filed with ADF&G on every DLP case.

If the OP is comfortable with a .300WM, I say go forth, buy a stainless/synthetic .300WM, put a good 3-9x on it, load it with premium 180gr bullets and go kill stuff. My surrogate Dad killed several Interior Grizzlies, and I don't know how many moose, with his Colt-Sauer .300WM and dropped them all without issue.

Ed

Colt sauer.... you ain't right... I still dream of one of those...

BTW don't run 180 partitions at 300 mag speeds, I had a lot of issues with nothing much left of them, one even failed to break a white tails neck at only about 125 yards once... JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets... but I had found barnes in the meantime. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Hunting with a resident. only moose is planned, my concern is IF there are bear around, I want something bigger than I might other wise use
If that resident isn't related to you then shooting a bear is out of the question, unless of course it's in self defense but those occasions are rare.

I hunt moose in the interior every year and have had no issue putting them on the ground with my 270, but I've also used a 45-70 and a 375 H&H. Since I don't have a 30-06 I would roll with that one but you already have one and want something new and bigger. I would take the 375 H&H or 300 Win Mag over the 338 but that's just me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by rost495
JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets . . .

What are 220's then? Ultra Mag bullets? smirk

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ray
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

I'd say this is a pretty good answer. The idea that there is only 1 "perfect rifle" for moose in Alaska is absolutely ludicrous. There are easily a pile of perfect rifles. Pick one and go hunt. Use a good bullet, while it may not be required, it is still a good idea.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

+1.

Mike McDonald, retired chief biologist for ADF&G, once told me that more brown and grizzly bears were killed in defense of life & property (DLP) with a .30-06 and 180gr cup & core bullets than any other combo. This was based on the necropsies and reports that have to be filed with ADF&G on every DLP case.

If the OP is comfortable with a .300WM, I say go forth, buy a stainless/synthetic .300WM, put a good 3-9x on it, load it with premium 180gr bullets and go kill stuff. My surrogate Dad killed several Interior Grizzlies, and I don't know how many moose, with his Colt-Sauer .300WM and dropped them all without issue.

Ed

BTW don't run 180 partitions at 300 mag speeds, I had a lot of issues with nothing much left of them, one even failed to break a white tails neck at only about 125 yards once... JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets... but I had found barnes in the meantime. LOL.

Dammit, I knew I fu cked up when I put those 200gr. partitions in my 30-06...
[Linked Image]

Back to the drawing board I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

+1.

Ed

So a 180 NP at ~ 3k fps failed to break a white tails neck?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
The 338 is the '06 of Alaska.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbsmith
The 338 is the '06 of Alaska.

No, the '06 is the '06 of Alaska.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes. Well actually it broke the neck technically but it was mushrooomed out against the ON side of the neck. I was flat amazed. I'd shot it lengthwise into a few whitetails before on frontal shots and wondered why it would not penetrate past the hindquarters and out into space as a small 6mm I have does it consistently with 85 barnes.

Then JB told me it was not designed for the higher impact speeds. I want to say 3180 fps but it may have been 3080 fps. I just honestly don't recall anymore.

Soon after that fiasco with having to shoot the deer again, I switched my 300 to barnes and never used the lighter partitions again.

Only thing to add, the deer was not small. The neck circumference about 3 inches below the jaw was 27 inches. He was pretty decent sized. Not sure if that was the reason or contributed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Here you go. The perfect Alaska and northern Canada rifle. At least it was for explorer Charles Sheldon. grin

A WR Pape 256 Mannlicher.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That's a neat looking old rifle. What action is that built on?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
yep, I have no intention of hunting bear, only in self defense. I am learning its highly unlikely they will bother me.

Hunting with a resident. only moose is planned, my concern is IF there are bear around, I want something bigger than I might other wise use
If that resident isn't related to you then shooting a bear is out of the question, unless of course it's in self defense but those occasions are rare.

I hunt moose in the interior every year and have had no issue putting them on the ground with my 270, but I've also used a 45-70 and a 375 H&H. Since I don't have a 30-06 I would roll with that one but you already have one and want something new and bigger. I would take the 375 H&H or 300 Win Mag over the 338 but that's just me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would take a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Load some hard cast 480 grain FN bullets to about 1350 fps and be happy. You will shoot through and through anything up there--lengthwise, if need be, with that. And it is a stone cold killer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll play along. Of the rifles I currently have it would be a .375 H&H M70 or a Sako 300WM Desert Eagle. But if building one I would think about a 9.3x62 in a stainless action. I think a MPI Dakota mannlicher style would be uber cool. I would get the graphite version. Since I am a lefty it would have to be either the M70 action or more likely the Montana with the lightening job done on it. I would have a low power scope no greater than 7x and back up peep site NECG or Tally if they still make them. Barrel length would be 20-21" depending on what the stock would accommodate. Barnes, Nosler, Woodleigh, Raptor and Hammer bullets would all get some consideration. I would go for an all up weight of eight pounds plus or minus a half pound.

My bud's in Alaska mostly carry 338s, 45-70 guide guns and one 444 Marlin. When I was up there I carried a 7RM the only rifle I owned at the time. As far as bear encounters I had plenty but the only close one involved our lodge cook and she discouraged a big blackie from coming into the kitchen cabin again rather well with a twelve inch cast iron skillet. This also helped keep the guides out of the cabin as well. But you would look kinda of silly packing around a skillet while you were moose hunting.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cisco1

Model 71 Winchester...in .348.

Moose hunting is always fun.....until some damn fool goes and shoots a frizzin' moose.

No kidding. Now I understand the old saying about the easiest way to pack a moose. Just build a cabin where it falls, and eat on it until it's gone! smile

Jeff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Ray
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

I'd say this is a pretty good answer. The idea that there is only 1 "perfect rifle" for moose in Alaska is absolutely ludicrous. There are easily a pile of perfect rifles. Pick one and go hunt. Use a good bullet, while it may not be required, it is still a good idea.

Ditto. Many good answers, but a stout bullet is most important. My approach to the perfect moose rifle was one all around Alaskan rifle. I bought a Remington 700 KS in 300 Weatherby, loaded with Barnes 168 or 180 grain x-bullets and used it upon just about everything except maybe musk ox. Leupold 3.5-10.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dh84
That's a neat looking old rifle. What action is that built on?

It’s an 1893 Steyr Dutch Mannlicher action. The Brits used many of them to build sporter rifles in 256 Mannlicher, also known as the 6.5x53 Rimmed.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
akjeff,

Sometimes they fall in the water.

Last moose hunt I was on in Ak. was on the Innoko. My brother shot 66" moose with old Sako .300H&H about 30 -40 yards from the water. I chewed him out for moose falling too far away from the boat.

My weapon of choice was a fishing rod.

I still like my 71 lever guns...handloaded .348 or bad bear tamer .450 Alaskan.But, I ain't gonna shoot anymore perfectly good moose.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I LOVE M70's and derivatives/clones but I also suggest considering the Mauser M12. 20", iron sighted, synthetic stocked, 9.3x62, short and super smooth bolt throw, 5-shot detachable reloadable while in battery, feeds like greased owl poop

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

283 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,407 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.