-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That 338 Model 70 is a shooter. Was that at 100 yards?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now that we know everything from 22 magnum to 416 rigby works on moose, post up some pics of said perfect alaska moose rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would be more concerned about what a legal moose is than rifle choice! Shoot the wrong one and there goes your new favorite rifle.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
9.3x62

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't always shoot a 6.5 cm but when I do it would work just fine taking reasonable shots. When I decide to not do the cm, my 45-70sbl will do quite well within 200yds. All else is either similar, too little or too much for me. You would do well with most currently chambered centerfires above 243 and below 458, all within reason and their individual capabilities. You can find 30-06 and 300 win most anywhere if that matters. You likely knew that but it sounds like you may want a new rifle anyway.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Speaking of availability in Alaska, what about 300 WSM?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Speaking of availability in Alaska, what about 300 WSM?

I have seen it at Sportsman Warehouse.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevevan1
9.3x62

I would not recommend that caliber to a person who's planning to hunt moose in the interior of Alaska. As mentioned by others in this forum, the .30-06 or a .300WM with a 180-grain bullet weight is more than plenty. Or a .338WM with 225-grain TTSX to 250-grain Partition.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
If you're set on getting another rifle, get a multi tasking rifle. Maybe something that you could use on the dark continent. AK state fish cops use a .375 H&H - think that ought to work for ANYTHING you encountered in AK

This ^^^^^^^^^^.

The 300 only adds a little range to the 30-06, nothing more, nothing less.

The 338 Win is a perfect choice for Alaska, but you wouldn't be able to use it in Africa for dangerous game, not because it's deficient, just not legally allowed.

So that leaves the 375..........it's trajectory is about the same as an '06, is more that adequate for any Alaskan game up close or to sane distances, & you would be all set for Africa.

But if you really feel the need for even more gun, no flies on a 416 or your preference either.

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ray
9.3x62

I would not recommend that caliber to a person who's planning to hunt moose in the interior of Alaska. As mentioned by others in this forum, the .30-06 or a .300WM with a 180-grain bullet weight is more than plenty. Or a .338WM with 225-grain TTSX to 250-grain Partition.

What???? There is absolutely no flies on the 9.3x62mm. Is there any specific reason, you are suggesting the 9.3x62 is a bad choice??? Have you ever owned one and shot one? Killed any critters with one?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ray
9.3x62

What???? There is absolutely no flies on the 9.3x62mm. Is there any specific reason, you are suggesting the 9.3x62 is a bad choice??? Have you ever owned one and shot one? Killed any critters with one?

The reasons why have been stated already by myself and other Alaskans in this forum, not about the 9.3 x 62 not being powerful enough to kill anything in Alaska. Just read though all the comments posted in here in response to the OP's questions.

Whichever rifle caliber the OP wants to use is fine ending with the .500 Nitro. But the calibers widely used for moose hunting in Alaska are the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, 7mm Magnum, and the .375H&H. The .375 is favored by bear hunters, but not as popular as the others. That said, ammo for all of these is readily available, not only at the stores in town, but probably at the hunting campsites during moose season.

Last edited by Ray; 03/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9.3x62, or any 9.3 ammo for that matter, may be a very real crap-shoot if you're not based out of Anchorage or Fairbanks. You will have a very high probability of finding 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag, at least in green/yellow boxes in most far-flung places. The more remote points also often have some odd calibers specific to a few residents who live locally, but you never know what that will be, so it could be 30 Remington, 32 Win Special, 303 Savage, or 225 Winchester, perhaps 8mm Rem Mag, but seeing an unusual election or two is very difficult to predict. Keep in mind that the "common" calibers are often only stocked in a single weight also, so it might be 150 Core-lokts in 270, 30-06, and 300 Mag, while 308 ammo may be 180 RN Core-lokts. Flexibility can be an asset.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is showing up at moose camp without ammo a common thing? I hear everyone say that commonality of ammo as an important factor in cartridge choice as a big deal, but how often does it really happen?

On an unrelated anecdotal note... after Sandy Hook, and the great ammo shortage, I noticed an interesting situation at several gun shops. .308 ammo was gone. 30-06 was mostly gone, save a few boxes of low weight loadings. 338, 300WM, all the common cartridges were sold out. The only ones available were things like 257 Roberts, 416 Rigby, 405 Winchester, etc. The common rounds were nowhere to be found, but the totally random oddballs that were sitting on the shelves for years were still available.

Last edited by LoadClear; 03/17/18.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid. I've hunted a fair amount out of country and have never experienced getting to a camp without my ammo. Pack right and that has zero chance of happening. In fact I can't remember being in a camp when any other hunters arrived without their ammo. How much is needed anyway, pack 2 boxes of loaded if you do your part correctly most of those will cartridges will go home with you. Having said that you're not alone in camp and worse case scenario there is always an extra firearm to be used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid.

Anyone who has done much flying in rural Alaska will know that getting separated from one or more 'bags' is hardly related to paranoia. (The most recent bag separation, two trips ago, had a tote of power tools arrive nearly a week later than we did, and 6 pounds heavier - thanks to the addition of rainwater.) Should it happen? No, but it does. If I was traveling with something a bit less common, I'd make sure I packed the ammo in the same case with the gun. Of course that risks having it removed by someone who chooses to interpret the rules at their own whim.

I like to hunt with odd balls, even wildcats, but KISS is hardly foolish when you've got hard-won money and time on the line.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid. I've hunted a fair amount out of country and have never experienced getting to a camp without my ammo. Pack right and that has zero chance of happening. In fact I can't remember being in a camp when any other hunters arrived without their ammo. How much is needed anyway, pack 2 boxes of loaded if you do your part correctly most of those will cartridges will go home with you. Having said that you're not alone in camp and worse case scenario there is always an extra firearm to be used.

Nobody has said that one would get to the campsite without ammo. We are talking about hunters who spend a small fortune to travel to Alaska to hunt moose and other game, and the possibility of having to purchase ammo at one of the local stores. However, if for whatever reason you need more ammo at the campsite, there is a good chance that the other hunters there will share some of theirs to help you out. Otherwise you would have to travel somewhere to buy ammo, or borrow a rifle, or just end the hunt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Except when flying on the big commercial flights the ammo goes with the rifle. Even so. I pack the ammo with my other gear and split it up in ever how many bags I have. If all bags don't show you have a bigger problem than just no ammo.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Except when flying on the big commercial flights the ammo goes with the rifle. Even so. I pack the ammo with my other gear and split it up in ever how many bags I have. If all bags don't show you have a bigger problem than just no ammo.

Good points. But don't forget that the traveling doesn't end at the airport. The best hunting areas in Alaska can be quite remote, and usually far from roads.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When traveling anywhere, ammo ALWAYS goes with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to split them up and double the odds of losing something important.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

79 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,126 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.