Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What do you have already? Unless you just want to buy a new gun, which is never a bad idea, you probably have one that will work just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30-06 has probably slayed more moose in Alaska than any other caiber.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
oh, I have plenty of guns that will work, I have no doubt about that, but yes, I am going to get another and I am looking to hear the ideal from those who hunt in Alaska. I am thinking 300 mag and up, not so much for moose but if a happy bear wandered into my space . I don't know a thing about that part of the world, so not sure what I might run into.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you planning just moose or both moose and grizz/brown bear? You do know that you will need a guide or hunt with a resident next of kin for grizz/brown bear, sheep or goat correct?

Steelhead

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hunting with a resident. only moose is planned, my concern is IF there are bear around, I want something bigger than I might other wise use

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Win M70 SS Classic. '06 or .338 WM. .338-06 will get 'er done, but I'd roll w/ the Whelen if you're spinning on a new tube . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use your 06'.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would go with a .338 Win. You can load it down to .338-06+P if you like and, as a factory round, it gets around the "what if my ammo doesn't show up" problem you raised. And a premium bullet in the 200-225 grain class is all you would need and would give you a plenty flat trajectory if the range ends up being on the long side.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Several worthwhile threads presently going on this topic; might be worth a read. Also tons in the archives if you do a search.
What rifle do you shoot best/which are you most comfortable with?
Or perhaps I should ask what gun is it that you want that you wish for us to help justify for you?? Because we are really good at that ;-)
And btw, short answer to your question is ‘06...in whatever flavor trips your trigger.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 03/06/18. Reason: are ain’t ate
IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're set on getting another rifle, get a multi tasking rifle. Maybe something that you could use on the dark continent. AK state fish cops use a .375 H&H - think that ought to work for ANYTHING you encountered in AK

Last edited by Owl; 03/06/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
we are in agreement so far on the action, still not sure the caliber

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Win M70 SS Classic. '06 or .338 WM. .338-06 will get 'er done, but I'd roll w/ the Whelen if you're spinning on a new tube . . .

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am partial to Winchester model 70's. have quite a few from 243 up to an including a 300 win mag. Used to have both 338 and 375 to round out the collection but never shot them so I ended up selling quite a while ago. all of my current rifles , Winchesters that is, are wood stocks. I am quite certain I want stainless and glass stock, just can't get comfortable with the caliber. im still not hearing from all you guys if I will encounter bears in the greater Fairbanks area. not a little black bear, but a big bear or something that might not like me being there? I know anything from 270 up will kill a moose ok, its that dang bear that is bothering me. I like the idea of 300 Winchester because I can shoot it well and shot in competition for 15 years. I also like 338 for its versatility as mentioned by UTAH708 above, that would indeed solve any issues with ammo availability as I am sure its available all over the place in Alaska. I realize I am probably overthinking this, but you know....its a great excuse for a new gun !

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Several worthwhile threads presently going on this topic; might be worth a read. Also tons in the archives if you do a search.
What rifle do you shoot best/which ate you most comfortable with?
Or perhaps I should ask what gun is it that you want that you wish for us to help justify for you?? Because we are really good at that ;-)
And btw, short answer to your question is ‘06...in whatever flavor trips your trigger.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

+1.
I will bet the '06 has killed more bears too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever I had handy... 06 sure wouldn't bother me. I send ammo ahead, bring extra each year etc... 338-06 rebore of a used 700 in 06. But for years used a 30-30 in grizz country and never felt like I'd have an issue if it arose...

Beyond that, whatever YOU want means more than most really IMHO.

I'd smack one(moose) with whatever was at hand.. 10mm, 44, 500, MZ, bow, 223 etc.... 458 win mag. 50 bmg. Whatever I might have handy at the time.
except for a 270. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As usual, most new hunters to Alaska over-think this cartridge and bear issue!

Durability, reliability and fit and function come first.

Nothing wrong with wood stocks done right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't already have a 375 H&H, well this is the perfect excuse, I mean reason to get one.

Then again a featherweight 7-08 or .308 is probably closer to ideal because a heavy rifle is just as fun trudging through a swamp as up a mountain, and moose will die when they are good and ready when hit with anything from your generic deer round up to an "elephant gun". No need for long range guns either, every extra yard you take the shot is 10 times that distance back and forth asking yourself why you took the long shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A double barrel in case there are 2 moose.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If it were me-
Stainless
Bolt action
Synthetic stock
30-06 second/third choice 300 or 338 mag
Good bonded type bullet 180 in the 30 cals or 200-225 in a 338
Good quality 3-9x scope
I hunted them nort of Fairbanks last fall, with bow and arrow, no shots taken
Could have shot one with a rifle
Have fun

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
.220 Swift worked for Frank Glaser! He probably filled a few train cars with dead critters from his. Tough sonofabitch though and the game probably just gave up when they knew he was chasing them. Haha!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since I own a 30-06, I know what I would do ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Owl
If you're set on getting another rifle, get a multi tasking rifle. Maybe something that you could use on the dark continent. AK state fish cops use a .375 H&H - think that ought to work for ANYTHING you encountered in AK

Probably overkill, but I'd take this one because I already have it. SS/Tupperware good AK ordinance.

.375 H&H SS NH M-70 Express, chopped to 21" and fluted. Not overly heavy; the .375 H&H is a very versatile round for the handloader. I bought this one used for $850, spent a few bucks on NECG irons and other work. This big scope could be replaced with a VX-3 1.5-5x20 and the rig would weigh 8 3/4 #'s. It's a tad over 9 #'s with the 1.5-6x42 Victory. Still under $1,500 with the VX-3.

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
as a result of your bear concern I would go 300 or 338 win mag on a Winchester controlled feed action.bear issues can arise but are rare.just use a quality bullet.good hunting

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
I have been invited to Fairbanks area a year from September for moose. I have never been up there, so looking for the perfect rifle to take, which I have quite a few. please give me recommendation's both for moose and for any other critters that might lurk and want to eat me for lunch or something. Try to keep the entire package at $1500 or less if you can. I will load my own, am thinking of a 338-06, but don't want to be stymied in stores if for some reason my ammo does not show up. looking for help !

thanks

Put your ammo in the gun case. Then you will have it, if you have your rifle. Pretty easy anyway.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Owl

Probably overkill, but I'd take this one because I already have it. SS/Tupperware good AK ordinance.

.375 H&H SS NH M-70 Express, chopped to 21" and fluted. Not overly heavy; the .375 H&H is a very versatile round for the handloader. I bought this one used for $850, spent a few bucks on NECG irons and other work. This big scope could be replaced with a VX-3 1.5-5x20 and the rig would weigh 8 3/4 #'s. It's a tad over 9 #'s with the 1.5-6x42 Victory. Still under $1,500 with the VX-3.

DF

[Linked Image]

I went very similar to this route. Montana 1999 20" stainless in a B&C stock with a VX6 1-6. I tip 8# even empty and it's a dream to shoot.

Hunt Africa while you can
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rnovi
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

I went very similar to this route. Montana 1999 20" stainless in a B&C stock with a VX6 1-6. I tip 8# even empty and it's a dream to shoot.

Sounds like a nice one, I like the VX-6 1-6, too.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

+1.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ is your answer. Even if it may not be what you want to hear,

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
moose hunt ? versatility tuff to beat 338 win.mag and ammo is easy to get if needed

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BCJR

+1.

Mike McDonald, retired chief biologist for ADF&G, once told me that more brown and grizzly bears were killed in defense of life & property (DLP) with a .30-06 and 180gr cup & core bullets than any other combo. This was based on the necropsies and reports that have to be filed with ADF&G on every DLP case.

If the OP is comfortable with a .300WM, I say go forth, buy a stainless/synthetic .300WM, put a good 3-9x on it, load it with premium 180gr bullets and go kill stuff. My surrogate Dad killed several Interior Grizzlies, and I don't know how many moose, with his Colt-Sauer .300WM and dropped them all without issue.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't listen to these guys. You HAVE to have a Merkel 470NE or even a 500 to hunt up here. Those moose can be super dangerous if you wound one with a measly little 30-06, and the bears will soak up 375H&H rounds all day long, so don't even think about trying to use something as anemic as that.
And, then you have the added bonus of a super quick follow up shot, or hell, even both barrels at the same time if you really feel you want to put the beast out of their misery instantly.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

Don't laugh too hard when I tell you that your Winnie is a supermodel compared to my rifle! Gawd is my Montana one ugly beast! LMAO!

But it does throw 300 gr. Partitions and TSX's into 3/4" groups. Ugly or not, that thing is a wonderful tool!

Hunt Africa while you can
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:
https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/specSheets/47120.html

Last edited by Ray; 03/06/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a .338 Winny on moose, caribou and bears for a little over 40 years and a custom Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" since the 80's along with the wonderful Barnes X bullets. It has all the "right stuff" for a long moose shot or a close big bear shot. It weighs about 8.5 lbs. with a Leupold VX5-HD 2-10x42mm and a Mag na Ported 23" barrel, Bansners stock and four 225 grain TTSX in the magazine. I really can't imagine an Alaskan hunting scenario this rifle and bullet combo can't handle.

We have four of those "Stainless Classic" Mod.70's with the wonderful old style trigger. Rifles come and go, but these always stay with us.

I feel the same way about my customized Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and the 168 grain TTSX bullet. Those rifles, those bullets will cover it all, take your pick and go kill a big moose.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Model 71 Winchester...in .348.

Moose hunting is always fun.....until some damn fool goes and shoots a frizzin' moose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My primary hunting rifle is aT3 Lite in .30-06. It kills meese just fine and DLPd plenty of coastal brown bears. I stopped counting after I finally whacked one I could snap a tag on in 2010.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Owl

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

Don't laugh too hard when I tell you that your Winnie is a supermodel compared to my rifle! Gawd is my Montana one ugly beast! LMAO!

But it does throw 300 gr. Partitions and TSX's into 3/4" groups. Ugly or not, that thing is a wonderful tool!

That brings to mind Phil's "Old Ugly", his .458 Win Mauser "using gun" for big bear backup.

Pretty is as pretty does... grin

DF

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
thanks for this reply....just what I was looking for, someone with obvious experience and insight into the area.

Originally Posted by Ray

thanks

The rifle calibers you will see the most around Fairbanks during moose season are the .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM. The 30-06 and loads with 180-grain NOS or other bullets should be just fine, or a .300 with the same bullets. If you want more punch from a bullet, the .338WM with a 250-grain NOS Partition will be great, but my favorite is the 225-grain Barnes TTS-X (tipped) as an all around bullet. The choice is yours; just pick the one you can shoot well.

While stainless steel rifles are a good idea if raining, snowing, or a mix of both, a lot of hunters around here also carry blued rifles. I got .338's in both finishes, and keep the rust off the non-stainless one by cleaning it at the campsite at night. Never had any trouble with rust. Anyway, the .338 Ruger Hawkeye African I have (sort of a blue dull finish) is my favorite. It does not have a muzzle brake like the other African versions, has a 22" barrel, and express sights. I installed a Leupold scope that has a #4 reticle with an illuminated dot in the middle. I put the great-looking walnut stock away, and bought a McMillan plus a Decelerator recoil pad that is fitted for a 12.5" LOP. No problems with recoil for me. The bolt is smooth as silk, and also of a gray dull finish.

Mine is this one, except that it was a custom built without a brake, and also with a sort of parkerized (?) finish, even on the bolt, instead of the shiny one you see here:

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Hey DF,
A few questions about your stock. What brand Tupperware is it and was the fore end shortened? If it's not shortened would you happen to know the OAL of the stock? TIA

Earl

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
rnovi,

This M-70 shoots pretty good, too. This is a Cutting Edge Bullet target. That's an interesting bullet, sort of a mono Partition. It has petals that spin off, the core bores on thru.

I've killed stuff with the .308 version, great terminal performance, also very accurate.

I've read that these bullets aren't the best in thick country, can start coming apart too early if they hit brush. In open country they should be deadly.

They're sorta expensive, but how many does one actually shoot while hunting. Practice with cheaper bullets.

Lighter bullets don't kick as hard as heavier ones. This is a pleasant load in this gun, which is slightly heavier that yours, packs well.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Hey DF,
A few questions about your stock. What brand Tupperware is it and was the fore end shortened? If it's not shortened would you happen to know the OAL of the stock? TIA

Earl

Earl,

Just the standard New Haven Winchester factory Tupperware. No alterations other than bedding. I can measure stock OAL when I get home from the office. LOP is std. 13.5". It comes up quick and with the shorter 21" barrel, handles fast. The original 24" barrel was way too heavy, handled like a club. Chopping and fluting really helped balance, made it much handier.

I did re-do the bedding with Steel Bed. It's a tough stock and I like the shape.

DF

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Since your stock is a factory one there's really no need to measure yours but THANKS anyways. I'm just keeping track of what's out there for M98's that might have short fore ends. My M98 has a 20" bb and I just don't like the looks of a full length fore end on it. I shortened the fore end on a Choate M98 stock 3" for my short bbl'd HVA 1640. Got another one coming so I'll just do it to.

Earl

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

+1.

Mike McDonald, retired chief biologist for ADF&G, once told me that more brown and grizzly bears were killed in defense of life & property (DLP) with a .30-06 and 180gr cup & core bullets than any other combo. This was based on the necropsies and reports that have to be filed with ADF&G on every DLP case.

If the OP is comfortable with a .300WM, I say go forth, buy a stainless/synthetic .300WM, put a good 3-9x on it, load it with premium 180gr bullets and go kill stuff. My surrogate Dad killed several Interior Grizzlies, and I don't know how many moose, with his Colt-Sauer .300WM and dropped them all without issue.

Ed

Colt sauer.... you ain't right... I still dream of one of those...

BTW don't run 180 partitions at 300 mag speeds, I had a lot of issues with nothing much left of them, one even failed to break a white tails neck at only about 125 yards once... JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets... but I had found barnes in the meantime. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting with a resident. only moose is planned, my concern is IF there are bear around, I want something bigger than I might other wise use
If that resident isn't related to you then shooting a bear is out of the question, unless of course it's in self defense but those occasions are rare.

I hunt moose in the interior every year and have had no issue putting them on the ground with my 270, but I've also used a 45-70 and a 375 H&H. Since I don't have a 30-06 I would roll with that one but you already have one and want something new and bigger. I would take the 375 H&H or 300 Win Mag over the 338 but that's just me.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by rost495
JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets . . .

What are 220's then? Ultra Mag bullets? smirk

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ray

thanks

I'd say this is a pretty good answer. The idea that there is only 1 "perfect rifle" for moose in Alaska is absolutely ludicrous. There are easily a pile of perfect rifles. Pick one and go hunt. Use a good bullet, while it may not be required, it is still a good idea.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

+1.

Ed

BTW don't run 180 partitions at 300 mag speeds, I had a lot of issues with nothing much left of them, one even failed to break a white tails neck at only about 125 yards once... JB then told me 180s were 06 bullets 200 partitions where 300 mag bullets... but I had found barnes in the meantime. LOL.

Dammit, I knew I fu cked up when I put those 200gr. partitions in my 30-06...
[Linked Image]

Back to the drawing board I guess...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

+1.

Ed

So a 180 NP at ~ 3k fps failed to break a white tails neck?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The 338 is the '06 of Alaska.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbsmith
The 338 is the '06 of Alaska.

No, the '06 is the '06 of Alaska.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes. Well actually it broke the neck technically but it was mushrooomed out against the ON side of the neck. I was flat amazed. I'd shot it lengthwise into a few whitetails before on frontal shots and wondered why it would not penetrate past the hindquarters and out into space as a small 6mm I have does it consistently with 85 barnes.

Then JB told me it was not designed for the higher impact speeds. I want to say 3180 fps but it may have been 3080 fps. I just honestly don't recall anymore.

Soon after that fiasco with having to shoot the deer again, I switched my 300 to barnes and never used the lighter partitions again.

Only thing to add, the deer was not small. The neck circumference about 3 inches below the jaw was 27 inches. He was pretty decent sized. Not sure if that was the reason or contributed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Here you go. The perfect Alaska and northern Canada rifle. At least it was for explorer Charles Sheldon. grin

A WR Pape 256 Mannlicher.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That's a neat looking old rifle. What action is that built on?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
yep, I have no intention of hunting bear, only in self defense. I am learning its highly unlikely they will bother me.

If that resident isn't related to you then shooting a bear is out of the question, unless of course it's in self defense but those occasions are rare.

I hunt moose in the interior every year and have had no issue putting them on the ground with my 270, but I've also used a 45-70 and a 375 H&H. Since I don't have a 30-06 I would roll with that one but you already have one and want something new and bigger. I would take the 375 H&H or 300 Win Mag over the 338 but that's just me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would take a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Load some hard cast 480 grain FN bullets to about 1350 fps and be happy. You will shoot through and through anything up there--lengthwise, if need be, with that. And it is a stone cold killer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll play along. Of the rifles I currently have it would be a .375 H&H M70 or a Sako 300WM Desert Eagle. But if building one I would think about a 9.3x62 in a stainless action. I think a MPI Dakota mannlicher style would be uber cool. I would get the graphite version. Since I am a lefty it would have to be either the M70 action or more likely the Montana with the lightening job done on it. I would have a low power scope no greater than 7x and back up peep site NECG or Tally if they still make them. Barrel length would be 20-21" depending on what the stock would accommodate. Barnes, Nosler, Woodleigh, Raptor and Hammer bullets would all get some consideration. I would go for an all up weight of eight pounds plus or minus a half pound.

My bud's in Alaska mostly carry 338s, 45-70 guide guns and one 444 Marlin. When I was up there I carried a 7RM the only rifle I owned at the time. As far as bear encounters I had plenty but the only close one involved our lodge cook and she discouraged a big blackie from coming into the kitchen cabin again rather well with a twelve inch cast iron skillet. This also helped keep the guides out of the cabin as well. But you would look kinda of silly packing around a skillet while you were moose hunting.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cisco1

Model 71 Winchester...in .348.

Moose hunting is always fun.....until some damn fool goes and shoots a frizzin' moose.

No kidding. Now I understand the old saying about the easiest way to pack a moose. Just build a cabin where it falls, and eat on it until it's gone! smile

Jeff

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Ray

thanks

I'd say this is a pretty good answer. The idea that there is only 1 "perfect rifle" for moose in Alaska is absolutely ludicrous. There are easily a pile of perfect rifles. Pick one and go hunt. Use a good bullet, while it may not be required, it is still a good idea.

Ditto. Many good answers, but a stout bullet is most important. My approach to the perfect moose rifle was one all around Alaskan rifle. I bought a Remington 700 KS in 300 Weatherby, loaded with Barnes 168 or 180 grain x-bullets and used it upon just about everything except maybe musk ox. Leupold 3.5-10.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dh84
That's a neat looking old rifle. What action is that built on?

It’s an 1893 Steyr Dutch Mannlicher action. The Brits used many of them to build sporter rifles in 256 Mannlicher, also known as the 6.5x53 Rimmed.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
akjeff,

Sometimes they fall in the water.

Last moose hunt I was on in Ak. was on the Innoko. My brother shot 66" moose with old Sako .300H&H about 30 -40 yards from the water. I chewed him out for moose falling too far away from the boat.

My weapon of choice was a fishing rod.

I still like my 71 lever guns...handloaded .348 or bad bear tamer .450 Alaskan.But, I ain't gonna shoot anymore perfectly good moose.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I LOVE M70's and derivatives/clones but I also suggest considering the Mauser M12. 20", iron sighted, synthetic stocked, 9.3x62, short and super smooth bolt throw, 5-shot detachable reloadable while in battery, feeds like greased owl poop

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FWIW, a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 holds NINE, eight in the magazine and one up the pipe. Just sayin'.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Winchester 71 in 348 Win. Needs to be an original in the unaltered 348 for the greatest style points

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think mine would be a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in .338 Win Mag shooting 200 grain Nosler Partitions.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hard to say what's perfect, but I wouldn't want to shoot one with anything smaller than 243.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
I LOVE M70's and derivatives/clones but I also suggest considering the Mauser M12. 20", iron sighted, synthetic stocked, 9.3x62, short and super smooth bolt throw, 5-shot detachable reloadable while in battery, feeds like greased owl poop

Yes, and bring lots of ammo for it making sure you don't lose it during the travel to Alaska.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To the OP:

Like you I had rifles that would work but wanted something different for AK moose so used a Nosler 48 synthetic in 325WSM. A 300 WM or WSM would have worked just as well.

With your concern about a bear encounter I would choose a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan 375 Ruger. It’s on the heavy side for moose but would work very well on a bear.

Like many said, you’re -06 would be just fine, but if you have to have a new rifle with easily sourced proper ammo in AK, a 338WM with a SS barreled action in a synthetic stock would be ideal, especially because it would be a caliber you don’t currently own.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I say bring your lucky rifle! 30-06 or anything else that is lucky!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The bear worry is overrated. Take the moose rifle you want to use.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well,,,, for what it's worth, I have Two-[2]- Rifles that I Hunt with here in Alaska, a Rem. M700 Mtn. Rifle, in 30-06, and my Weatherby MK-V .375 DGR Stainless Version, which Shoots either the .375 H&H or the Weatherby Load, 300gr. Nos. Partition, so as it has been said already, use your 06, unless you have to have something new, and if that's what your looking to do, then a .375 cal & up,,,,, Sky's the Limit, or maybe your "Wallet", not sure, just sayin,,,, anyway, Best of Luck to you, on your up-coming Trip.
TG cool

Attached Images
LJ's_.375_Weatherby_DGR_Photos 001.jpg (71.77 KB, 35 downloads)

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Well,,,, for what it's worth, I have Two-[2]- Rifles that I Hunt with here in Alaska, a Rem. M700 Mtn. Rifle, in 30-06, and my Weatherby MK-V .375 DGR Stainless Version, which Shoots either the .375 H&H or the Weatherby Load, 300gr. Nos. Partition, so as it has been said already, use your 06, unless you have to have something new, and if that's what your looking to do, then a .375 cal & up,,,,, Sky's the Limit, or maybe your "Wallet", not sure, just sayin,,,, anyway, Best of Luck to you, on your up-coming Trip.
TG cool

Or just buy a .338WM and be done with it. But yes, the .30-06 will be fine. Keep in mind that he is planning to hunt moose somewhere near Fairbanks, not coastal bears.

Last edited by Ray; 03/12/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Moose pistol for the ultimate Alaska challenge

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Moose pistol for the ultimate Alaska challenge

[Linked Image]

The Objective Lens may be in danger...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Yeah. It ain't big enough.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
we are in agreement so far on the action, still not sure the caliber

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

338WM, like this one...:

[Linked Image]

8 pounds all up, holds 4 in the mag box... Accurate as hell...
[Linked Image]

....Well, at least it hits the orange dot, unlike Dirtfarmers 375... wink whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I have used a .338 Winny on moose, caribou and bears for a little over 40 years and a custom Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" since the 80's along with the wonderful Barnes X bullets. It has all the "right stuff" for a long moose shot or a close big bear shot. It weighs about 8.5 lbs. with a Leupold VX5-HD 2-10x42mm and a Mag na Ported 23" barrel, Bansners stock and four 225 grain TTSX in the magazine. I really can't imagine an Alaskan hunting scenario this rifle and bullet combo can't handle.

We have four of those "Stainless Classic" Mod.70's with the wonderful old style trigger. Rifles come and go, but these always stay with us.

I feel the same way about my customized Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and the 168 grain TTSX bullet. Those rifles, those bullets will cover it all, take your pick and go kill a big moose.

They didn't make stainless classic model 70's in the 80's...

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Consider the 35 Whelen in a Stainless Ruger 77.
Easy to find ammo in Anchorage and shouldn’t be a problem to find anywhere else.
I wish 338/06 ammo was as easy to find as Whelen ammo.

Also consider the 6.5x55.
Not the best selection of ammo, but it kills stuff dead and it’s 100% pure joy to shoot.

Ruger 77’s just flat work.
No fuss, no worries.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
35 Whelen ammo is not common. I would never recommend the 35 Whelen over the 338 win mag for a traveling hunter, and I'm a huge fan of 35's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would be pretty hard to overlook the 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, or 338 Win Mag when heading into the hinterlands for moose. Pretty hard to blame any of them for a screw up, even if you have to buy "available ammo" off the local store shelves.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I wanted an all around moose rifle when I moved up here so I got a m70 extreme weather in 30-06 and but a meopta meopro 3-9 on it and a timney trigger. Never looked back.

That being said, I also have a weatherby vanguard dangerous game rifle in 375HH which I chopped the barre to 20” dropped a timney trigger in and mounted a leupold vx3i 1.5-5x20 with Talley quick release rings.

Both will get the job done but my moose this year was actually taken with my kimber Montana 308.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A nosler outitter in 35 Whalen would be pretty sweet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That 338 Model 70 is a shooter. Was that at 100 yards?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now that we know everything from 22 magnum to 416 rigby works on moose, post up some pics of said perfect alaska moose rifles.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would be more concerned about what a legal moose is than rifle choice! Shoot the wrong one and there goes your new favorite rifle.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
9.3x62

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't always shoot a 6.5 cm but when I do it would work just fine taking reasonable shots. When I decide to not do the cm, my 45-70sbl will do quite well within 200yds. All else is either similar, too little or too much for me. You would do well with most currently chambered centerfires above 243 and below 458, all within reason and their individual capabilities. You can find 30-06 and 300 win most anywhere if that matters. You likely knew that but it sounds like you may want a new rifle anyway.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Speaking of availability in Alaska, what about 300 WSM?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Speaking of availability in Alaska, what about 300 WSM?

I have seen it at Sportsman Warehouse.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevevan1
9.3x62

I would not recommend that caliber to a person who's planning to hunt moose in the interior of Alaska. As mentioned by others in this forum, the .30-06 or a .300WM with a 180-grain bullet weight is more than plenty. Or a .338WM with 225-grain TTSX to 250-grain Partition.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why not

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl

This ^^^^^^^^^^.

The 300 only adds a little range to the 30-06, nothing more, nothing less.

The 338 Win is a perfect choice for Alaska, but you wouldn't be able to use it in Africa for dangerous game, not because it's deficient, just not legally allowed.

So that leaves the 375..........it's trajectory is about the same as an '06, is more that adequate for any Alaskan game up close or to sane distances, & you would be all set for Africa.

But if you really feel the need for even more gun, no flies on a 416 or your preference either.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ray
9.3x62

I would not recommend that caliber to a person who's planning to hunt moose in the interior of Alaska. As mentioned by others in this forum, the .30-06 or a .300WM with a 180-grain bullet weight is more than plenty. Or a .338WM with 225-grain TTSX to 250-grain Partition.

What???? There is absolutely no flies on the 9.3x62mm. Is there any specific reason, you are suggesting the 9.3x62 is a bad choice??? Have you ever owned one and shot one? Killed any critters with one?

BSA MAGA
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ray
9.3x62

What???? There is absolutely no flies on the 9.3x62mm. Is there any specific reason, you are suggesting the 9.3x62 is a bad choice??? Have you ever owned one and shot one? Killed any critters with one?

The reasons why have been stated already by myself and other Alaskans in this forum, not about the 9.3 x 62 not being powerful enough to kill anything in Alaska. Just read though all the comments posted in here in response to the OP's questions.

Whichever rifle caliber the OP wants to use is fine ending with the .500 Nitro. But the calibers widely used for moose hunting in Alaska are the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, 7mm Magnum, and the .375H&H. The .375 is favored by bear hunters, but not as popular as the others. That said, ammo for all of these is readily available, not only at the stores in town, but probably at the hunting campsites during moose season.

Last edited by Ray; 03/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9.3x62, or any 9.3 ammo for that matter, may be a very real crap-shoot if you're not based out of Anchorage or Fairbanks. You will have a very high probability of finding 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag, at least in green/yellow boxes in most far-flung places. The more remote points also often have some odd calibers specific to a few residents who live locally, but you never know what that will be, so it could be 30 Remington, 32 Win Special, 303 Savage, or 225 Winchester, perhaps 8mm Rem Mag, but seeing an unusual election or two is very difficult to predict. Keep in mind that the "common" calibers are often only stocked in a single weight also, so it might be 150 Core-lokts in 270, 30-06, and 300 Mag, while 308 ammo may be 180 RN Core-lokts. Flexibility can be an asset.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is showing up at moose camp without ammo a common thing? I hear everyone say that commonality of ammo as an important factor in cartridge choice as a big deal, but how often does it really happen?

On an unrelated anecdotal note... after Sandy Hook, and the great ammo shortage, I noticed an interesting situation at several gun shops. .308 ammo was gone. 30-06 was mostly gone, save a few boxes of low weight loadings. 338, 300WM, all the common cartridges were sold out. The only ones available were things like 257 Roberts, 416 Rigby, 405 Winchester, etc. The common rounds were nowhere to be found, but the totally random oddballs that were sitting on the shelves for years were still available.

Last edited by LoadClear; 03/17/18.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid. I've hunted a fair amount out of country and have never experienced getting to a camp without my ammo. Pack right and that has zero chance of happening. In fact I can't remember being in a camp when any other hunters arrived without their ammo. How much is needed anyway, pack 2 boxes of loaded if you do your part correctly most of those will cartridges will go home with you. Having said that you're not alone in camp and worse case scenario there is always an extra firearm to be used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid.

Anyone who has done much flying in rural Alaska will know that getting separated from one or more 'bags' is hardly related to paranoia. (The most recent bag separation, two trips ago, had a tote of power tools arrive nearly a week later than we did, and 6 pounds heavier - thanks to the addition of rainwater.) Should it happen? No, but it does. If I was traveling with something a bit less common, I'd make sure I packed the ammo in the same case with the gun. Of course that risks having it removed by someone who chooses to interpret the rules at their own whim.

I like to hunt with odd balls, even wildcats, but KISS is hardly foolish when you've got hard-won money and time on the line.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really think the ammo not being available is really over used and only thought of by those who are extremely paranoid. I've hunted a fair amount out of country and have never experienced getting to a camp without my ammo. Pack right and that has zero chance of happening. In fact I can't remember being in a camp when any other hunters arrived without their ammo. How much is needed anyway, pack 2 boxes of loaded if you do your part correctly most of those will cartridges will go home with you. Having said that you're not alone in camp and worse case scenario there is always an extra firearm to be used.

Nobody has said that one would get to the campsite without ammo. We are talking about hunters who spend a small fortune to travel to Alaska to hunt moose and other game, and the possibility of having to purchase ammo at one of the local stores. However, if for whatever reason you need more ammo at the campsite, there is a good chance that the other hunters there will share some of theirs to help you out. Otherwise you would have to travel somewhere to buy ammo, or borrow a rifle, or just end the hunt.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Except when flying on the big commercial flights the ammo goes with the rifle. Even so. I pack the ammo with my other gear and split it up in ever how many bags I have. If all bags don't show you have a bigger problem than just no ammo.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Except when flying on the big commercial flights the ammo goes with the rifle. Even so. I pack the ammo with my other gear and split it up in ever how many bags I have. If all bags don't show you have a bigger problem than just no ammo.

Good points. But don't forget that the traveling doesn't end at the airport. The best hunting areas in Alaska can be quite remote, and usually far from roads.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When traveling anywhere, ammo ALWAYS goes with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to split them up and double the odds of losing something important.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
When traveling anywhere, ammo ALWAYS goes with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to split them up and double the odds of losing something important.

Rifle cases and fish totes/coolers tend to get priority over regular luggage, so the ammo is safer traveling with the rifle. The downside is those rogue agents who will separate/confiscate ammo when packed with the rifle. And then there are the regs imposed by individual airlines sometimes. (Print out and carry hard-copy black and whites of the regulations.)

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I appreciate the comments and opinions from those who are there, been there and who know.

I've read that native people kill the polar bear with .222's, etc.

If I'm gonna pay big bucks to go after BG in AK, I'll take the .375 H&H posted earlier. It's powerful enough for anything up there, I can shoot it well and it packs well. Having enough gun is just one variable I won't be bothered with, plenty of other stuff to be thinking about. I'd probably be using 250 TTSX's with RL-15. That load performs. The right bullets in my '06, 7RM or .300 WM would no doubt do the job. I just choose to use the .375...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Rifle cases and fish totes/coolers tend to get priority over regular luggage, so the ammo is safer traveling with the rifle. The downside is those rogue agents who will separate/confiscate ammo when packed with the rifle. And then there are the regs imposed by individual airlines sometimes. (Print out and carry hard-copy black and whites of the regulations.)

I have had hunters arrive missing one bag... rifle case made it, but bolts were in the missing bag. "Logic" being no one would steal a rifle with a missing bolt...

Ammo goes with the guns... always...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the comments and opinions from those who are there, been there and who know.

I've read that native people kill the polar bear with .222's, etc.

If I'm gonna pay big bucks to go after BG in AK, I'll take the .375 H&H posted earlier. It's powerful enough for anything up there, I can shoot it well and it packs well. Having enough gun is just one variable I won't be bothered with, plenty of other stuff to be thinking about. I'd probably be using 250 TTSX's with RL-15. That load performs. The right bullets in my '06, 7RM or .300 WM would no doubt do the job. I just choose to use the .375...

DF

This stories are somewhat iffy. All depends on where the bear was hit. I have heard that a shot through the temple or close to the front of the ear will put any bear down, but I have no idea if it's true.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have had hunters arrive missing one bag... rifle case made it, but bolts were in the missing bag. "Logic" being no one would steal a rifle with a missing bolt...

Ammo goes with the guns... always...

Sucks to arrive with guns and no f’n hip boots when you’re hunting where you expect to wear them daily...

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

thanks

At least a month before you go, ship a box of fifly to your contact in Alaska....make sure they have received them before you go....take that .338-06 and have a ball. Yes, it'll cost a bit to send them UPS but that way you know they got there.

Find a used M-70 on gunbroker for under $500 and add a barrel for under another $500.....you're well within your budget.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/20/18.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by vapodog

thanks

At least a month before you go, ship a box of fifly to your contact in Alaska....make sure they have received them before you go....take that .338-06 and have a ball. Yes, it'll cost a bit to send them UPS but that way you know they got there.

Find a used M-70 on gunbroker for under $500 and add a barrel for under another $500.....you're well within your budget.

Apparently you've never shipped ammo to Alaska before.

UPS will only ship ammo UPS ground. That means lower 48, and within the states of AK and HI, not between the two. The only reasonable way to ship ammo to AK is to have it barged up via ocean.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LoadClear

thanks

Apparently you've never shipped ammo to Alaska before.

UPS will only ship ammo UPS ground. That means lower 48, and within the states of AK and HI, not between the two. The only reasonable way to ship ammo to AK is to have it barged up via ocean.

Exactly...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

thanks

... and you need a new barrel because you need that kind of accuracy for moose...

NOT!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[
... and you need a new barrel because you need that kind of accuracy for moose...

NOT!

you need a new barrel because the gun you bought does not have a .338-06 barrel

You ship the ammo a month in advance because it takes a long time to get it there.

Last edited by vapodog; 03/21/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You ship the ammo a month in advance because it takes a long time to get it there.

The last time I shipped ammo kind of stuff by barge, I received.......after waiting 4-5 months, an empty cardboard shell of a box with a few lead BBs still rattling around inside. Made me happy that I only had to wait another year to have another barge order shipped. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get ammo shipped as fast as you need it, you just need to be willing to think outside the box. wink

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can get ammo shipped as fast as you need it, you just need to be willing to think outside the box. wink

Tis true. Legal, fast ways are somewhat expensive however. wink Felony shipping troubles are a rather high price to contemplate....and that's not improving by the day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well I guess the fall of 2019 I will be headed to Alaska for month about ,my friend`s relatives that are full time Alaskan resident and kill plenty moose,bear ,caribou,wolves and some sheep prefer to use a 7 mm remington mag with160 grain partitions mostly,they want me to carry the same cartridge which I agreed too and purchased a Sako finnbear 7 mm rem. mag. the gun is like new and about 50 years old,which I am very happy with ,these older Sako`s are some of the finest bolt actions made like the pre -64 Winchester model 70`s were. I still prefer the 338 win.mag but will do as they have lightly asked me to do,use a 7 mag.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just curious, what was their reason? So you carry the exact same as they do?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
well I guess the fall of 2019 I will be headed to Alaska for month about ,my friend`s relatives that are full time Alaskan resident and kill plenty moose,bear ,caribou,wolves and some sheep prefer to use a 7 mm remington mag with160 grain partitions mostly,they want me to carry the same cartridge which I agreed too and purchased a Sako finnbear 7 mm rem. mag. the gun is like new and about 50 years old,which I am very happy with ,these older Sako`s are some of the finest bolt actions made like the pre -64 Winchester model 70`s were. I still prefer the 338 win.mag but will do as they have lightly asked me to do,use a 7 mag.

You won't go wrong with a 7mm Magnum. Lots of hunters use that caliber in Alaska.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Just curious, what was their reason? So you carry the exact same as they do?

reason we are a long ways out and if someone in our party needs ammo ,its sure easier to all have the same ammo at camp,there will be no Walmart out on the tundra.

Ray ,these moose hunters say the 7 mag. works super on moose and I like all calibers anyway.thanks,Pete53

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good lord someone is a bit on the anal side RE the same ammo. I have never been in a camp where we've all had the same. Actaully come to think of it have not been in a camp that there were TWO of the same calibers, save maybe pistol ammo or 22 or shotgun.

I've yet to have a shortage of ammo.

Nothing wrong with the 7 mag though and nice to do what they ask.

Jeff

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good lord someone is a bit on the anal side RE the same ammo. I have never been in a camp where we've all had the same. Actaully come to think of it have not been in a camp that there were TWO of the same calibers, save maybe pistol ammo or 22 or shotgun.

Jeff

no reason for me to argue with the free guide service in their camp in Alaska using their plane and boat, hell I will leave my ammo with them anyway,and bring them each a knife too. when I have a hunting partner or my son with we always try to use the same ammo, my father taught me that too ,including arrows on our elk hunts in the mountains,i have plenty rifles and if not I can just buy more,as I did for this future trip ,its just fun buying more nice rifles. and to top it off an old friend sold me that sweet old Sako finnbear that`s 50 years old ,when some of the finest Sako rifles were made.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Jeff

Keep in mind that both the OP of this thread as well as Pete53 are coming to Alaska to hunt moose, and most of the responses have been from people who live and hunt in Alaska. Unlike Texas, a lot of Alaska hunters, including guided ones, hunt in very remote areas with no road access. In some isolated place it is always an advantage to have other hunters at the campsite (or campsites nearby), using the same ammo you use. That said, that does not necessarily apply to Alaska hunters, just to visiting hunters.

And I don't disagree with you when saying that not everyone at the campsite uses the same ammo, but in the areas I hunt near Fairbanks, should I have some troubles with my ammo, I would not have to travel home to buy some.

Last edited by Ray; 03/23/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see anything wrong with choosing the same round everyone else in the hunting party is using, really seems like a good approach for any group hunting together. If I loose or run out of ammo and my partner can loan me some or vice versa, there's nothing wrong with that. Same can be said for spare batteries for headlamps and a few other items as well. Considering how much time, money and effort is invested in a hunt, there is something to be said for limiting what can go wrong by having some redundancies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 30-06, .300 and .338 Winny and a decent bullet are very good cartridges for every thing in Alaska and ammo is usually every where for all three cartridges. I have used all three of them on moose, caribou and bears and they all died quickly. Your moose will probably be shot under 200 yards and will not fall over from your lung shot, so don' be bashful about sticking him again. If it is late in the day and heavily timbered try to catch some structure with the lung shot.

Stick with the lung/shoulder shot if at all possible, it is a big area. I am familiar with moose structure and parts and have shot several moose in the head and neck, but I live here and the shots were close and all that was presented to me. I know of a few who shot moose in the neck and never recovered the animal, a couple of them went down and jumped up and disappeared before the hunter could get another shot into them and a couple left pretty good blood trails before the snow and rain made tracking to much, big bummer!

Bullets, in the last 53 years I have had good success using Nosler Partitions and Barnes X bullets of some flavor. Behind shot placement is bullet structure and two holes let more blood and air out and make tracking easier. I don't want a bullet that expends all it's energy in the animal. I want a bullet that has enough of the "right stuff " to have penetration to spare!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On another note, I would not be surprised to find out more caribou are shot with a .223 Rem. then any other round. That round is very popular in remote Alaskan villages that have very liberal bag limits, like five to ten animals each. I know several people who have used it and some have taken moose with it using a Barnes X bullet. I am not advocating it, just passing info and I also believe many caribou in the bush areas have run off with .223 holes in them and were not recovered.

Many moose are killed every year with a .243 Winny, that goes for sheep, caribou and bears also. Shot placement and a good bullet are a proven combination. Us hunters are the only ones debating calibers, for the most part the critter does not care as long as the right bullet is put in the right place at a reasonable distance. Which explains why so many critters died long before the Partition showed up.

The sun is out and spring has sprung in Alaska. Yippeeee!!!!!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Mucho over thinking going on here.

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I was in exactly your position in 1997, hunting moose but needed to be ready for grizz as an 8' one had been seen several times in that bottom. bought a 35 Whelen and never regretted it. a bull moose did, and i was confident if the grizz showed up

Yesu ai zhongguo
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
well this will be my first hunting trip to Alaska and there has been some good information posted on here and yes we will be in the remote area with plenty bears I guess,so I`ll deal with it. I have been around bears alot out west bowhunting and rifle hunting for elk but have always had that good bear thing as they all ran away,but have had friends that had to deal with a bad bear thing while hunting. I live with black bears here in northern part of Minnesota just have a nuisance bear once in a while,our biggest problem is we have way to many wolves and someday here in Minnesota someone may get serious hurt because wolves have been coming into yards killing and eating pets and farm animals. I do think using a 7mm rem .mag. with 160 grain partitions should do what I need it to do on a bull moose and hopefully I just see good bears while in Alaska ! thanks for the great information !! Pete53

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Pete,
The 160gn Partition is almost a traditional bullet in the 7mm Mag because it works so well but another option is the 175 Partition which you can get cheap and in bulk from SPS. 2950-3000 with Rel 26 is easy, accurate, and this bullet is a very hard hitter on game.

Just another option, as the 175 Partition is one of the most accurate bullets in all of my 7mm rifles from 7x57 up.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Pete,
The 160gn Partition is almost a traditional bullet in the 7mm Mag because it works so well but another option is the 175 Partition which you can get cheap and in bulk from SPS. 2950-3000 with Rel 26 is easy, accurate, and this bullet is a very hard hitter on game.

Just another option, as the 175 Partition is one of the most accurate bullets in all of my 7mm rifles from 7x57 up.
John

thank you I will get some of those bullets " 175 gr. partitions" ,I would say in Alaska bigger might be better ? Pete53

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Deef-in-itely, I would say.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Load a 30-06 with some 180g Nosler Partitions or 200g trophy bonded bear claws abs go kill a moose. A local guy where I live killed one with a mos on nagant last December,you don’t need a magnum or some fancy turbo speed bullet to catch a moose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Load a 30-06 with some 180g Nosler Partitions or 200g trophy bonded bear claws abs go kill a moose. A local guy where I live killed one with a mos on nagant last December,you don’t need a magnum or some fancy turbo speed bullet to catch a moose.

yes your probably right, but my friends and myself will be all hunting with 7 mm Rem. mags out on the tundra a long ways out for up to 3 weeks, just much simpler and maybe even safer to use all the same cartridge on this hunt in big bear country. two of these guys live in Alaska and letting me go with them for free because their relative my friend goes to Alaska every other year hunting with them,i am getting a heck of fun trip cheap ! I already purchased a Sako finnbear 7 mm mag that was built in the late 60`s and its a nice rifle ,maybe better rifle than most new rifles ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/25/18.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well this will be my first hunting trip to Alaska and there has been some good information posted on here and yes we will be in the remote area with plenty bears I guess,so I`ll deal with it. I have been around bears alot out west bowhunting and rifle hunting for elk but have always had that good bear thing as they all ran away,but have had friends that had to deal with a bad bear thing while hunting. I live with black bears here in northern part of Minnesota just have a nuisance bear once in a while,our biggest problem is we have way to many wolves and someday here in Minnesota someone may get serious hurt because wolves have been coming into yards killing and eating pets and farm animals. I do think using a 7mm rem .mag. with 160 grain partitions should do what I need it to do on a bull moose and hopefully I just see good bears while in Alaska ! thanks for the great information !! Pete53

Good luck. The ammo deal is still funny as hell but whatever floats their boat.

Do you carry a small or large ammo can full of 7mag for each of you?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nope I am from Minnesota shoot a lot ,have my own rifle range with cement benches,shoot FTR class in master division,shoot some 1000 yard bench rest shoots,use too shoot 100-200 yard bench rest, won a couple of state titles in archery the hard class F.S. ,won plenty in trap too,besides what animals I have killed gun and bow. so for hunting a moose,caribou and a wolf my gun boot of 6 shells should be plenty. I guess I never thought about what other hunters carry ? which is it small or large bucket for you ? ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/25/18.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It sounds like the money you're saving more than covers the cost of a new rifle and scope. What an opportunity, two wins for a great price!

It's interesting they specify the cartridge, but not the specific load for the cartridge. However, I guess a properly sited rifle can shoot any ammunition to within a minute of moose at 100 yds or so.

Good luck on your trip.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
nope I am from Minnesota shoot a lot ,have my own rifle range with cement benches,shoot FTR class in master division,shoot some 1000 yard bench rest shoots,use too shoot 100-200 yard bench rest, won a couple of state titles in archery the hard class F.S. ,won plenty in trap too,besides what animals I have killed gun and bow. so for hunting a moose,caribou and a wolf my gun boot of 6 shells should be plenty. I guess I never thought about what other hunters carry ? which is it small or large bucket for you ? ?

Did I read this correctly?
You are coming to hunt AK with six (6) rounds of ammunition?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I think you are reading a bit into that... I bet he comes back and says he only has a half-dozen rounds on him when he is out hunting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I think you are reading a bit into that... I bet he comes back and says he only has a half-dozen rounds on him when he is out hunting.

yes > sitka deer read it right 6 shells in the rifle boot. oh i`ll bring up 3 boxes or 4 boxes of 20 and gift them to my new friends before I leave. these friends use 160 grain and 175 grain in a 7 rem.mag. for moose.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just don't mind moments as such posted above your response. You have already decided what rifle and ammo to use, something that most Alaska moose hunters would agree with. Not a bad idea to bring ammo to Fairbanks, because while 7mm Magnum ammo should be locally available, as it gets close to moose season its gets a little more difficult to find the right bullet weight you want. The same for the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, and the .375H&H.

I sometimes reload my own ammo for my .338's, but every now and then buy a box or two at the local stores long before moose season. That way I get the right kind of bullet and weight I want.

Last edited by Ray; 03/25/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Sitka deer]

yes > sitka deer read it right 6 shells in the rifle boot.

Make darned sure all ammo is in approved "ammo boxes", either factory, or plastic handloader-type.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
6.5 creed

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=Sitka deer]

yes > sitka deer read it right 6 shells in the rifle boot.

Make darned sure all ammo is in approved "ammo boxes", either factory, or plastic handloader-type.

Yup, they get testy about ammo in holders on slings and such.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ray

Just don't mind moments as such posted above your response. You have already decided what rifle and ammo to use, something that most Alaska moose hunters would agree with. Not a bad idea to bring ammo to Fairbanks, because while 7mm Magnum ammo should be locally available, as it gets close to moose season its gets a little more difficult to find the right bullet weight you want. The same for the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, and the .375H&H.

I sometimes reload my own ammo for my .338's, but every now and then buy a box or two at the local stores long before moose season. That way I get the right kind of bullet and weight I want.

>> Ray, never thought about Alaskan store ammo shortage at moose season ,another good reason to bring my own ammo in a factory box ! thank you,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 03/26/18.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ray

>> Ray, never thought about Alaskan store ammo shortage at moose season ,another good reason to bring my own ammo in a factory box ! thank you,Pete53

You can also have your friends buying some 7mm Magnum ammo locally, ahead of time. It is a little more expensive than what you would pay in the lower-48, however.

Last edited by Ray; 03/26/18.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.