Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like we are going to get our first freeze tonight. The snow has been falling up high and there are indicators that the Rut is perking up.<P>There are rubs showing up down low and the boys are doing pretty good on the call. I'm still of the opinion that it will peak early this year and am thinking we may enjoy a REAL winter.<P>Was curious to hear from others in different places,as to how things are shaping up regarding the rut? <P>I've a little boat work to do,then will strike out heading for the Alpine,in order to Hunt the snow. My goal this year,is to kill two Bucks big enough,to warrant both being mounted lifesize fighting one another. With luck,I'll have a dose of good weather and get to spend the days afield,to cinch such a project. <P>Worst case scenario,is I'll get COLD trying,and that ain't so bad. I'd rather get skunked Hunting,than get rich working..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stick-<P>I'm hearing more and more bucks being seen and necks getting bigger but apparently the does still arn't ready.<P>The weather has changed here, it's cold and wet. The leaves are dropping and visibilty is getting better. A buddy has seen a nice four point two nights in a row...hmmm, wonder if he'll be there tomorrow night. I'll let you know.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Guys are starting to sluice them here,as they stand around and look all starry eyed. I know a guy that shot FIVE times at a very nice 4x4(grossed about 108"),before he got him.<P>Others are killing them in pairs,in the clearcuts. A pard killed a nice 3-point Freezer Buck today,but couldn't get a crack at the forked horn with him. I remember last year,when a local killed two 4-points that were fighting each other. He killed one,then the other,both made the All Time Book.<P>Looks to be a fabulous year,as we have an "earlyish" snow and our population is healthy from previous mild winters. I hope I can call my son in a HOGGER.<P>You playing with the call,or give it up? I found a couple monster rubs yesterday,had a partner call,while I filmed(thinking of ya). It was uneventful,despite looking quite promising. We are going to make an early morning "Toot Hunt"(with calls),then I'll race home to get my boat completed.<P>If she pans out in the AM,I'll catch it all on tape. Whenever I call for him,he slams a MONSTER. Could be good.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a "Snoop &Poop" on my back 40 this afternoon,and the Rut is ON!<BR>I interrupted a disagreement between two 3 yr old bucks,and found that several of my cedars will not be growing much past 4 ft.<BR>The Does are holding tight to heavy cover thanks to the Nasty weather we have been subject to lately,but there are signs the mom and daughter groups are broken up and the Bucks are running rampant at night.<BR>The deer tracks running down my paved driveway are as heavy as they normally are,and something got ahold of my Cauliflower last night pretty bad.<BR>Bambi is doing well it would seem.<BR>I can't wait till Nov.15th to get a shot.<BR>The ammo is stuffed,the Bisley is tuned up,and I have my gear set aside in scent proof bags...may it never end!<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a ways to go here in NC. There are scrapes and rubs to be found, but no gaggles of bucks doing stupid stuff (which I really enjoy.)<P>Acorn crops are great and does are everywhere, except near my house, alas. Also, I can bowhunt or gunhunt at will, thanks to my strategic location at the border of two management zones.<P>Which may come in handy, because I found a whitetail Golden Corral on an oak ridge just outside one of the buildings I work in. I love city limits bowhunting!! Just have to make sure the big'un does not make it to the nearby major interstate with my carbon hanging out of him. Unlikely, as I envision the arrow passing through him as if he were a vapor, except for the leakage.<P>Good hunting, Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am out amoungst them every day in the course of work and I haven't seen anything running yet. Maybe a couple of weeks until they start. The bachelor groups have split up though. The curent cool spell might start a few but I doubt it.<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Epic’er

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Boggy Creek Ranger one of the good guys RIP...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They were in pursuit last weekend, not hot pursuit, but were putting their heads down, making the does run away. That was central Texas. I usually see some running does through my neighborhood, but not yet.

Last edited by hanco; 11/08/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rut is at peak in central WV.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2 life size bucks fighting???? Lmfao

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Quite well evidently. The neighbor just sent me a 3, 4, 10 and 11 point buck picture of the bucks walking around out in the yard under his bird feeder the last week. They are pretty much in charge of the landscaping here in the yard.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Boggy Creek Ranger one of the good guys RIP...

+1.

Where's E4E, also?

Too bad Big Stick isn't around anymore, too. He was aways a great guy with lots of knowledge. smirk

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

this guy is lookin' to get laid.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Busted wide-F'n-open over the weekend here.

FJB & FJT
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Running the does here in North Dakota. Seasons open so hoping my daughter gets a nice one. Ed k

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What ever happened to Spike? Forgot about that dude.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this guy is lookin' to get laid.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I would gladly lay him right down where he stands.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Our peak rut doesn’t happen here ‘til the first week in January 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've hunted two properties here in Central Louisiana, both on the Red River, 30 miles apart. The up river herd is in the rut, The down river herd ruts in Nov.

I've asked about that, no one seems to really know. Some attritute it to yearly flooding and natural selection, others remember local deer herds being re-populated from northern herds. At any rate, it's pretty interesting.

For a while I hunted both areas for an extended rut. Now I just hunt the up river property. I'm just not as mad at'em as I once was...... grin

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.